HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2004, 06:42 AM
No Guts No Glory
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2003
1,230 Posts
Some thoughts on a park flyer for beginners

Its an old problem ( even stemming back from the Wright brothers) how do you learn or teach someone to fly. This is a huge field and many clever minds have solved most problems. There is one aspect of the problem that I think merits some special thought. Survivability of the training airplane. If it has a hard landing one should be able to pick it up and keep flying.
Epp is a solution but I felt like working with traditional materials. Firstly I wanted a pusher design to keep Propeller and engine replacements to a minimum. A 1 meter wingspan keeps wing loading very low and Depron Tail surfaces make it cheep. I hope to have inspired some people in building a trainer.
kestrel2003 is offline Find More Posts by kestrel2003
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2004, 06:44 AM
No Guts No Glory
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2003
1,230 Posts
By putting everything expensive away from the impact nose I hope to reduce early replacement
Old Jan 01, 2004, 06:48 AM
No Guts No Glory
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2003
1,230 Posts
does it work

So does it work? Yes and no, speed 300 7.2 V only draws ca.3 Amp so with the 1050 NiHm flight times of ca. 15 min sould be possible. My Trainee has so far manged a flight of 1 min with nothing brocken after a rough landing. It has rather docile handling with is great for a trainer but is slightly underpowered.
Old Jan 01, 2004, 07:51 AM
Brazil, RS, Porto Alegre
Joined Jul 2003
164 Posts
Hi Kestrel,
I've been trying to make an unbreakable training model, like you.
However, I don't use balsa and monokote for these models. I designed an almost unbreakable piper j3 like trainer. It has EVA (Vinil Ethilene Acetate) on its nose (EVA is unbreakable, looks like a sponge rubber, like that from the Ultralite Reebok tennis), witch is 5 times heavier than EPS, and EPS for the rest of the model. I use, in both sides of the fuse, a bambu longeron, witch makes the EPS part much stronger. The tail is made from correx (unbreakable), with some steel reinforcement (to avoid flutter etc.) and glued with hot melt glue (it is one of the few glues that can adhere polypropilene (correx)).
For power, a 280DD motor. If there istn't trainer cable, I will prop it with a durable prop. If there isn't risk to the prop, the best for this motor/plane is the GWS 5x3 (very eficient, yet very breakable).
See the picture below.

Regards,

Eric
ericfly is offline Find More Posts by ericfly
Old Jan 01, 2004, 08:36 AM
MM addict
Midlothian, VA
Joined Dec 2003
37 Posts
I have a SS that has survived 3 vertical landings on asphalt. only thing that was broken was the GWS IPS motor. and the reason I had the crashes were because of a gliche in my transmitter. The stick has a carbon fiber strip on the stick of wood. Also wings a reinforecd with carbon fiber and it has a popsicle stick that goes above and below the fusealage(now where a peice of sheet balsa takes the place of all the flimsy plastic parts) and from the posicle stick runs fishing linewith rubber bands for flexibility sorry no picture though.
C_Vonier is offline Find More Posts by C_Vonier
Old Jan 01, 2004, 09:17 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
If you want to buid your own. Then this doesn't apply.

If you want a rugged three channel trainer that can stand up to some punnishment, try the Aerobird.

About $115 on e-bay ready to fly.

I have over 100 flights on mine. It has taken a beating but has taken me now into 3 additional electrics and 4 gliders.

It is hard to beat and hard to kill.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr