Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:39 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
Seidel

My absolute favourite is the 9 that I went to collect in person from Wolfgang himself at the Dortmund Show in 1993 oh my is it already that long ago ? There are a few others that are beeing used in our Corsair an GeeBee racer both planes at flying buddy von Vaerenberg's place. Picture of a still young Wolfgang.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:24 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,233 Posts
The June, 2005 edition of Model Engine Builder contained the plans for building an updated Morton M 5 radial, the first radial model engine that I know of designed for use in a model airplane. The plans are still available, as is a single cylinder version in the subsequent issue for the beginner - but with some help from an experienced machinist! http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/issuetwo.htm IIRC, the Morton was a scaled down Kinner.

Edit: Oops - the build article says it's a scaled-down LeBlond. Now, get those castings ordered and git to work!
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Last edited by GeoffinIN; Mar 02, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:05 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffinIN View Post
The June, 2005 edition of Model Engine Builder contained the plans for building an updated Morton M 5 radial, the first radial model engine that I know of designed for use in a model airplane. The plans are still available, as is a single cylinder version in the subsequent issue for the beginner - but with some help from an experienced machinist! http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/issuetwo.htm IIRC, the Morton was a scaled down Kinner.

Edit: Oops - the build article says it's a scaled-down LeBlond. Now, get those castings ordered and git to work!
Friend of mine once showed me a Swedish made casting kit of a 7 or 9 cylinder I believe Pratt and Whitney, it was a perfectly smooth casting albeit expensive, forgot the name of the maker. But there are many kits around.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:43 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
V-12

Philtech from Australia
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:08 PM
Registered User
Underthetire's Avatar
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
My father ordered the plans and casting from

http://www.agelessengines.com/9cyl.htm

I was impressed by the binder of prints, shopping list, fixture drawings etc.
This is to be his first radial, and plans to put it in a bipe. He has been machining for 50 years, and has some nice equipment in his garage for the retirement years.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:41 PM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,662 Posts
That sleeve valve radial engine they are working on is sure super interesting too.



earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:28 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffinIN View Post
The June, 2005 edition of Model Engine Builder contained the plans for building an updated Morton M 5 radial, the first radial model engine that I know of designed for use in a model airplane. The plans are still available, as is a single cylinder version in the subsequent issue for the beginner - but with some help from an experienced machinist! http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/issuetwo.htm IIRC, the Morton was a scaled down Kinner.

Edit: Oops - the build article says it's a scaled-down LeBlond. Now, get those castings ordered and git to work!
Bruce Satra did have Morton castings I believe. Is he still around ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:17 AM
Registered User
DarZeelon's Avatar
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,134 Posts
With a typical model + R/C system going for $150-250, I don't think a megabuck multi-cylinder engine can be considered feasible.

If one owns a $20K car, one would probably not consider installing a $100K engine in it...
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:15 AM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,662 Posts
Actually the illegal street racers do install outrageously expensive engines in their cars. They will spend $50,000 just to have a super engine in their car, and the car may very likely look like junk on the outside.

But in RC scale modelling, the modeller is going for scale realism. So a working scale model engine of a V12 Merlin justs adds to that scale realism effect the modeller is trying to achieve. If they have the money they will certainly go for it.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:57 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarZeelon View Post
With a typical model + R/C system going for $150-250, I don't think a megabuck multi-cylinder engine can be considered feasible.

If one owns a $20K car, one would probably not consider installing a $100K engine in it...
Oh.... definitely....

If there was not the wife wanting to know what the hell I did with the money, then definitely, I would spend as much money as possible on as as technically intresting and challenging engine as possible. (of course there would be a little bit more spent on an RC set than $250....)

If I could manage to build a scale Sykorsky S-58 with a radial as powerplant, like the first types, I definitely would....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:55 AM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,662 Posts
I remember seeing some videos of a fly in or event, a while back, of someplace in Europe where they had something like 30 biplanes all with Moki Radial engines in them. They had done a mass simultaneous flyoff with many of them too. Having a large number of planes in the air at one time is hard to do as it is so easy to wind up looking at the wrong plane while flying them.

I think everyone in Europe is way outdoing everyone here in the USA when it comes to large scale model planes with scale engines in them too. Of course I guess they don't have a weight limit for model airplanes like they do here in the USA either. We have some large planes like that, but not as many as they do in Europe.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:12 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I remember seeing some videos of a fly in or event, a while back, of someplace in Europe where they had something like 30 biplanes all with Moki Radial engines in them. They had done a mass simultaneous flyoff with many of them too. Having a large number of planes in the air at one time is hard to do as it is so easy to wind up looking at the wrong plane while flying them.

I think everyone in Europe is way outdoing everyone here in the USA when it comes to large scale model planes with scale engines in them too. Of course I guess they don't have a weight limit for model airplanes like they do here in the USA either. We have some large planes like that, but not as many as they do in Europe.
Here is a Jüngmeister me standing beside and I'm 1,75m pic taken at the 2009 Dortmund show
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:16 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,510 Posts
More pics of that show with flying buddy's Marc von Vaerenberg and Ronny Loquet, sure you can identify that airplane
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:14 PM
supreme being of leisure
ZAGNUT's Avatar
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
If I could manage to build a scale Sykorsky S-58 with a radial as powerplant, like the first types, I definitely would....

Brgds, Bert
scary beasts. as a kid i lived near a heli graveyard and they had a pile of those in various stages of dismantlement.

S-58-Anlassen (0 min 27 sec)
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Last edited by ZAGNUT; Mar 05, 2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: forgot the video...
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:40 PM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,662 Posts
I think one problem with these big monster RC planes, is that you cannot simply go to the flying field by yourself to enjoy flying a model plane. You would have to have an entire flight crew with you. I can't really see using a extra large plane restraint system for one you you can "flip" the prop to fire it up. But maybe it could be done. I expect you'd need a sledge hammer and some long tent spikes, or even a auger of a sorts, to make sure the restraint doesn't pull out of the ground. Maybe it isn't so much fun after the initial flights.


When I was a kid, I remember a huge aircraft graveyard between Luke Air Force Base and the town of Goodyear, in Arizona. When I was a teenager, they either sold off a lot of the old planes as scrap metal or hauled it down to Tucson AZ where they have another huge aircraft scrapyard still in place.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 05, 2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add more information
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Prop Chart and Thread finder for any Glow or Gas Engine unclegeorge Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 2 Feb 02, 2013 09:12 AM
For Sale Price reduced-NIB-Gas Engine the same size as a .46 Glow! GT-9 unclegeorge Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 3 Jan 29, 2013 03:19 PM
For Sale Prop Chart and Thread finder for any Glow or Gas Engine unclegeorge Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Jan 25, 2013 02:35 PM
For Sale Prop Chart and Thread finder for any Glow or Gas Engine unclegeorge Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Jan 11, 2013 03:36 PM
Discussion multiple cylinder/engine engine rikus Off-road Cars 22 Jul 06, 2010 05:03 PM