SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:37 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Discussion
Down draft sanding box?????

Okay a while back I posted question on how to control dust in your work shop.Well I 'm gonna build a "Sanding Box".I will be purchasing a new shop vaccum for the job.I seen a couple picture on the net so I have an idea how to build it.Mine will be about 36" to 48" long x 12" to 20" wide.I want the box big enough for most of my projects.Ya I know I can go outside to sand but not in the middle of winter cold.Has anyone else build one of these? Thanxs for looking.
sP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,663 Posts
I have a Shop vac,and one problem I have with it,is if I do about an hour's worth of sanding and clean up the balsa dust, it clogs the filter really fast,with the fine micro dust filters.
From the time I turn it on,the speed gradually increases, until there's no vacuum left,and it has to be cleaned to work again.

I'd be very interested to see your set-up, so I can copy it. lol.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:08 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,489 Posts
I looks to me like KOMET 44 is still going to have to go outside, but for a much shorter time. I usually take my bench brush to the filter, and it does the trick. It's a good trade off, clean the filter for a few min.in the cold, and sand for an hr inside in the warmth.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:16 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,663 Posts
I. have taken another vacuum to the vacuum ,now. The spring-loaded filter is a real bear to get out of it's little groove in the primary shop vac.

We modelers get into the worst messes,don't we?
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:57 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Here is a link to vacum I plan to buy,
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/14-Gallo...c/EN/index.htm

I read some good reviews on this machine.
sP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:15 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,239 Posts
I've never seen a shop-vac work well for a down-draft table, it just doesn't provide the CFM needed to collect all the find dust that we generate..

This website provides allot of insight and good reading into the dynamics and necessary fundementals of a good down-draft table.

http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking.../Downdraft.cfm
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Last edited by invertmast; Feb 28, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:23 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,464 Posts
One possibility would be to use a central vacuum cleaner (or just a blower) that exhausts outside of the shop and not worry about the filter or cfm.

Invertmast, should there have been a link in your post ^?
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:56 PM
Joined Jun 2004
221 Posts
I built a downdraft table and used a 110v furnace fan. Plenty of CFM to do a great job. A shop vac doesn't have the oomph to pull the dust down from the air immediately above the work surface (unless it is a very small suface contained with side panels... not so good for big pieces of a wing or fuse). Went with a table instead of a box so I could set up my dust producing equipment on it and not have to move things around (scroll saw, belt/disc sander, table saw, Dremel stand). Works great although I'd make the filter changing/cleaning easier on the next one I may build.
Riserflier is offline Find More Posts by Riserflier
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:58 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkettu View Post
One possibility would be to use a central vacuum cleaner (or just a blower) that exhausts outside of the shop and not worry about the filter or cfm.

Invertmast, should there have been a link in your post ^?
apparently i forget to paste it. Its been fixed now.

The issue is, you need ALLOT of CFM to accelerate the air going down into the box to collect all of the fine dust particles. Granted, this is assuming you are using some sort of saw or electric sander. For hand sanding, you could get away with lower CFM, but shop-vac style filters clog very quickly!

I connect my 15gal. shop vac to my benchtop sander (6" disc and a 18" belt) and have to remove the filter and go bang it clear outside after about 10-15 minutes of sanding balsa sticks, or making wing ribs.
Even with the shop vac connected direcly to it, and my air filtration unit running on high (500cfm rating) the shop (2 car garage size) fills up very quickly with all the "fine" dust to the point you have to open the garage door for a 1/2 hour to let it air out.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:12 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,257 Posts
Does this thread give any ideas -

Cheap DIY water pre-filter for workshop dust
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:16 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,257 Posts
Some more -

Built a super duper shop fan/dust collector.

Dust collection systems
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:11 AM
United States, NJ, Pennsville
Joined Feb 2008
515 Posts
I have that Rigid 6 hp shop vac and it is a beast. Mine has sucked shop rags from a foot away numerous times and small tools should also beware. Should be plenty powerful enough for a moderate size downdraft table.
stemo99 is offline Find More Posts by stemo99
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:51 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,051 Posts
I am currently using a 20" box fan with a furnace filter duct taped to it. It does a reasonable jog of controlling dust in the air. I will sand a bit and use my shop vac to suck up the majority of the dust from time to time while sanding.

I bought the bags you can put inside the shop vac canister that are intended for very fine dust. The actual filter stays clean and the suction stays pretty consistent. It is not good when you inadvertently suck up a tool though. It's hard to get the tool out of the bag with out destroying the bag

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:08 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
I have a Craftsman dust collector. Simply sanding in front of the end bell is sufficient for reducing the free dust to almost nothing.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:43 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMET 44 View Post
Here is a link to vacum I plan to buy,
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/14-Gallo...c/EN/index.htm

I read some good reviews on this machine.
sP
Stefan,

As noted by the other guys,shop vacs just don't have the ability to move the volume of air needed. a simple box fan with a furnace filter works far better. If you have the room, the noted furnace blower is a great way to get a big CFM air mover on the cheap. Keep an eye on Craigslist or the town dump for a furnace, or even the local HVAC contractor's junk heap. Most are 110V and a simple switch and plug are all that'll be needed to operate it. You might be even able to utilize a speed control....
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member