HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:01 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,802 Posts
Many thanks, Pete. I am grateful for your support to our efforts to encourage building and good fellowship.

I see no reason for each build to be unique. I'd love to see your approach to a "Knight".

During our "snow day," I was able to almost complete the fuselage and the tail feathers. I would have done more but I was getting weary and cut myself... my DNA is now infused into the airframe. And I learned that CA will seal a cut well, though it stings... and the accelerator stings more.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Mar 06, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:16 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,602 Posts
So, as I remember, does balsa cement, stings like the blazes.
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:16 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,602 Posts
David,
Just how closely do we have to stick to the original design? I'm seriously considering a Knight of my own, but can't help but want to make it just that, my own. It would look like the original, and much of the structure would remain unchanged but there are certain ways I like to build that differ quite markedly from Bill's design.
If I can do my own thing with it, put me down for the comp. If not, I'll probably build it anyway. I've already started working on the drawings.

Pete
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:22 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,602 Posts
David,
Yes, I can be a nuisance, if there is just one overall prize for the best build, make that 5 prints to the winner. If you intend to do build and thread, 3 prints to each.

Pete
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:46 PM
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,436 Posts
I Started this build months ago. See what you think. No fussed if can't enter on this build. I'm a slow builder. Two more comps will fly by, and she'll still be on the bench......

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=82348
Parkflyer81 is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer81
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,802 Posts
Pete, our intent has always been to convert a design from one mode of control to another, keeping much of the original in the spirit of a "kitbash".

If you examine my Knight's structure, you'll see that the basic FF design is kept but, I added internal bulkheads every other frame, gussets for strength, panels in the first two bays to allow the structure to survive a sudden stop (and the subsequent inertia-driven movement of the battery), et al. You would be able to look at my Knight and see the echos of Bill Hannan's design.

One of the wonderful side benefits of the first contest was learning how different participants addressed their conversion-related issues.

I say, build it, and we will enjoy it. We can even refer to our tributes to Bill Hannan as the "Two Knights in Boston"... If you are going to use British markings, I will change my mind about covering mine like an SE-5A and, instead, go Richthofen Red and put a Black Knight mit Pickelhaube in the cockpit.

When you start your thread, let us know.

David
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,802 Posts
Parkflyer81, Welcome!

The answer is, for the moment, a solid "Maybe."

Tell us more about your plan. Who designed it? Is it a RC or Control Line design? What kind of conversion are you making to the original design?

I examined your photo of the plan could not tell if the aircraft was originally designed for RC or not. I thought the "jury strut" on the plan might be guides for control lines, but I am not sure.

David
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:21 PM
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,436 Posts
David, shes and Auster J1. 1:5.5 scale, full RC, scratch build. 52 ASP 4 stroke for the power plant. Tell you the truth, I cant give you much more detail till I get home from work..

I'll edit this post with more detail later. But I'm not even really sure that I'll fly this one. Just spent too much time on it already, just to park it nose first in the dirt. we'll see.

Phill

Edit:

Wing span: 2 meters, Length:1.3 meters, Weight: 3.8kg, Engine size: 40-46 2 stroke, 48-60 4 stroke

Designed by George Buzuleac.
Last edited by Parkflyer81; Mar 07, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,802 Posts
Phill, if she was originally designed for RC, they you have to build her as a conversion to another mode of control (CL or FF). The goal of the contest is to convert a design from one mode of control to another. In the first contest, and the participants entered thus far in the second, everyone has worked to convert a Free Flight design or Kit to a RC airplane.

David
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:49 PM
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,436 Posts
ah, got it, mis read that bit......... back to the shed then!!
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:07 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,602 Posts
David,
Okay then, count me in. Don't worry about clashing schemes, I'll work around whatever you do. I had considered a Teutonic Knight but felt scalloped trailing edges might be wandering a bit far from the original concept. If you go British, maybe I'll make mine French - four colour cammo, louver panels. etc.

I'll start a thread and post a link a bit later.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post24358704

Pete
Last edited by PETERRAKE; Mar 08, 2013 at 03:27 AM. Reason: link added
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:17 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,802 Posts
Pete,

Done, and done. I'm subscribed to your thread. David
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:28 PM
Proto morlock
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2008
151 Posts
Hi David

What's the significance of the Formal Contest Start date? I can't help noticing that one participant in particular is looking like they'll be flying before the formal start...

Jim
Jim_the_Sane is offline Find More Posts by Jim_the_Sane
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,802 Posts
Hi, Jim!

The gap has several purposes.

Last time the contest ran, we had people dribbling in to participate over 5-6 weeks; and, while we didn't want to leave anyone out, it wasn;t fair to the other builders to let it go on forever.

It gives me a month to advertise the contest on the various forums here, Facebook pages of the Modeling Associations and the Magazines. Not everyone logs on each day and the month lets one have a chance to see the notice in time to participate.

We also allow a participant carry over from the last contest, as long as the aircraft has not flown. This allows the potential for big, sophisticated projects. For example, I'm planning a 56-inch RC conversion of a 32-inch CL twin Cargo plane. I've started doing the research and when I'm ready to start building, I'll use this contest forum to keep me motivated. I may need two successive contests to get the plane done.

The gap also gives one time to choose a subject, before committing to the contest.

We also realized that the size, time available, holidays, and weather can have significant impact. Last contest, it took me 80 calendar days days to build my Blackburn Skua. This time, I chose a simpler build and, as I had last Wednesday off due to weather, I've almost completed the airframe; which is fine. It leaves me time to manage things.

The first contest saw 4-5 of us become pretty decent colleagues. There was good conversation and good building tips shared during the contest. It was the shared experience that made us want to run another contest. Sopwith Mike ran the first one. I'm running this one and we may swap out, keeping a contest (or rather, a great chance to build) going all the time.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Mar 08, 2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:48 PM
Proto morlock
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2008
151 Posts
Righto. Put me down for a Kiel Kraft Lysander rc conversion...
Jim_the_Sane is offline Find More Posts by Jim_the_Sane