HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:24 PM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
254 Posts
Discussion
SB5 Tricks and mods

I was looking everywhere for the old thread for the SB5 but I couldn't find it. Strange!
Edit. I changed the viewing criteria, and swoosh!, 150 older threads showed.
I'll try to stick this to that old one, where it belongs

You might ask yourselves what a swedish is biker doing in the winter, while waiting for the snow to melt.

I had an idea to make an aluminium Swingbox for the SB5 and made an effort. The finish is not perfect and I have not tested it yet so we'll see if it is successful at all.
There is an awful lot of work involved so please don't ask me to make another one​​.
The main aim was to make the swingarm longer and stiffer. The material is old bits of aluminium I had lying around.

It can be adjusted to various lengths (max is +18 mm) by moving the rear part to 4 alternate positions. The different positions produce different angle on the front part, therefore, the height of the shockabsorber bracket also adjustable. The length of the swing is also regulated by two different angles of the carbon fiber side plates, hence the extra holes on the side. The two threaded holes on the left side of the front section is for the belt tensioner that is not finished yet. The belt used in the longest position is 402mm.
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Last edited by z_dad; Mar 02, 2013 at 10:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
160 Posts
Very impressive! Excellent work. Hey I was wondering if you could make another one? I would love to buy one! Haha I'm just giving you a hard time about making another lol. How did you make this one though? Did you use a mill? Great work though I hope it performs better than what you would have thought it surely looks like it will
htmlhuh is offline Find More Posts by htmlhuh
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:34 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2006
290 Posts
Very nice, stiffening the rear swing arm is one of the best improvements on these bikes. Just a thought if you ever think of doing a v2 - I've always wondered if the rear end on the sb5 would benefit from stiffer mount of the swing arm plates. Instead of only 2-screws per side maybe 3 with a larger flat mounting surface.

-Rskip
rskip is offline Find More Posts by rskip
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlhuh View Post
Very impressive! Excellent work. Hey I was wondering if you could make another one? I would love to buy one! Haha I'm just giving you a hard time about making another lol. How did you make this one though? Did you use a mill? Great work though I hope it performs better than what you would have thought it surely looks like it will
Thanks for the input.
Yes i do use a mill, a small manual one that sits on my workbench. That's why this project was so much work. Just imagine the amount of cranking involved!
Everything is hand made and a lot of the design comes from the tools i happen to have at hand and the dimensions of the pieces of scrap metal used.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskip View Post
Very nice, stiffening the rear swing arm is one of the best improvements on these bikes. Just a thought if you ever think of doing a v2 - I've always wondered if the rear end on the sb5 would benefit from stiffer mount of the swing arm plates. Instead of only 2-screws per side maybe 3 with a larger flat mounting surface.

-Rskip
Thanks a lot!
A V2 is possible ofcourse but I don't have the equipment or skills to make any numbers myself. I'm not short of improvement ideas but after compleating a complicated project, one seems to be less keen to restart so soon.

I do have a, gloriously simple and effective, one-piece design for stiffening the original swing that I have sent to a dealer for evaluation and possible production just last week. No answer on that yet. If you look closely at snesladd's micro drive sb5 video you get a glipse of the prototype.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2011
160 Posts
I totally understand the amount of cranking involved! I am a manual machinist by trade. Well I went to school for it for 2 years got 2 certs worked for a little while and then decided I would go into something else but I still go to my old school to work on projects here and there. Which reminds me I need to go back and finish milling some things on my picco p zero engine.
htmlhuh is offline Find More Posts by htmlhuh
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:20 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2006
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_dad View Post
Thanks a lot!
A V2 is possible ofcourse but I don't have the equipment or skills to make any numbers myself. I'm not short of improvement ideas but after compleating a complicate project, one seems to be less keen to restart so soon.

I do have a, gloriously simple and effective, one-piece design for stiffening the original swing that I have sent to a dealer for evaluation and possible production just last week. No answer on that yet. If you look closely at snesladd's micro drive sb5 video you get a glipse of the prototype.
I missed the extra screws the first time I saw it. Looks close to what I was thinking of.

-rskip
rskip is offline Find More Posts by rskip
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:29 AM
Joined Sep 2010
435 Posts
Hey guys,

The original SB5 Tips and Tricks thread is back up.

Cheers

Gecko
Gecko Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Gecko Hunter