SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by erdnuckel2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:52 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Build Log
E2's scale heli projects

This is one that was "years in the making" so to speak guys, but I think I am finally fitted with the right tools to tackle this challenge! (at least I truly hope so , as it would be a painfully costly learning experience ... .)

Anyway, this thread is gonna be about the different scale helis I intend to build over time (oh well, or at least the fuses for them ... ...)

INDEX:
(as usual!)

The "AS350 Ecureuil"
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:08 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
AS350 "Ecureuil"

This is going to be the first scale body EVER that I am trying my hands on in a "complete" kit that "requires assembly ... AND painting!!!

So, I ordered this kit from Heli-Scale-Quality in Germany, and they set the bar for themselves pretty high! All the fuses you can buy there are EXACT scale, in 1:35, 1:48 or 1:72 - and just recently also in 1:24. Bernd and his team at heli scale are venturing into larger sizes than "MICROs ONLY"

The kit that I bought is the AS350 Ecureuil ... and for me, this heli/fuse actually has a story - a history, all the way back into my teens, when RC helis was something for "absolute pros" who had already gone through every other type of radiocontroled object under the sun ... and who were able to drop some serious dough for this (the Ecureuil I was DREAMING of was a nitro powered (Robbe) monster with about 5 feet rotor diameter ... so I guess that would be 700class. Of course, I had never even tried to drive an RC car, so this heli would have DEFINITELY been one heck of an experience !!! - Of course, it (thankfully how I know now) it STAYED a dream ... or it would have been a case of "how to cause thousands of material ... and probably worse PHYSICAL ... damage in a matter of seconds without even leaving the ground ...)

As I said, the Heli Scale Quality kits are expensive - and to find out how well they are worth the cash you gotta drop is the objective of this first scale heli project.
(Whenever I can, I would like to include some video into this adventure of mine, so hopefully I manage to stick to this plan)
Otherwise, there will be many many photos ... as usual

To get started, I got the package from Heli-Scale-Quality (which I will just call HSQ now, as this is really a complicated name to fully spell out ...) let me "do some UNBOXING"!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Heli-Scale-Quality AS350 Ecureuil

Part1: UNBOXING

Delivery:
As I mentioned, I had the package from HSQ in the mail yesterday night, and the trip over the pond from Germany took a mere 6days!!! (speaking of slow boat someone?? .)

Unfortunately, the package got hit quite a bit during the trip, which clearly shows in the condition of the box ...
Thankfully, due to the nature of the content, everything appeared to be just fine upon inspection when taking it ouf of the box.

This is WHAT I ordered:
http://www.heli-scale-quality.com/co...224/Itemid,43/
As you can see (and as I already mentioned) the price is pretty steep - but the kits aim to be the top of the line in quality and detail ... and it looks like they can deliver (more in a moment)
http://www.heli-scale-quality.com/co...art/Itemid,43/
[the kit is (at least) 32Euros [roughly 42$] and incurs a shipping charge of 9.90Euros [roughly 13$] - so a total of 55$ for an UNassembled and UNpainted fuse is some serious money!!!]

We shall see if the result is worth the cost ... AND the effort (.)

UN-boxing:
So let's see what was in the (rather scary looking) box:
after some "digging around" in the generously stuffed (with old newspaper) box if found the following items:
  • 2 fuselage halves
    (HSQ offers TWO choices for the fuse: uncut, as it comes from vacuum forming, or cut [which is a few $ extra, but eliminates some preparatory steps and thus some possible pitfalls in the assembly of the fuse. Obviously, I opted for the second choice (cut) ...])
  • 1 decal sheet
  • 1 little instruction sheet
  • 1 bag with "add-on" resin parts (and some other items)
  • 1 CD (which is said to contain a whole bunch of pictures, but this has to yet be verified
  • 1 sheet of clear plastic (which will be used to facilitate the assembly of the fuse)

This already hints at the aim of "standing out of the crowd" as I havent heard of too many other manufacturers who supply you with a picture CD (ie the effort that is put into those kits is surely above average ... than again however, so is the price)
[I will get a chance to compare this to a kit from another manufacturer (that was MUCH more affordable) rather soon ...)

The first impression of this kit is VERY positive, the attention to detail is stunning - in such a small fuse (it is only 8.75" long) even the screws&rivets in the heli surface are visible ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:02 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,895 Posts
Off-the-charts cool, Erd. Keep the pictures coming!
DismayingObservation is online now Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:58 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
AS350 scale project video 1

This is part1 of the video series that I plan to be accompanying the build of the AS350:

AS350 Ecureuil scale project part1 (2 min 7 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
AS350 kit

I just checked out the CD - and it contains about 150 pictures of AS350 helis, often several of the same one, so you can really take a good look at them and also get some "paint job ideas" (my two ideas however were NOT included ...)

It also contains a 24page pdf assembly instruction (still in German, but I am going to change this ... ...), a list of colors needed for the paint job from the assembly instructions and also a list of all tools and other stuff that might be needed during the build.

All in all a nice piece of data that is not often seen to be included in a kit like this

(the comparison to another kit which was much less expensive will be up soon as well ... just give me a couple of weeks ...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:58 AM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,458 Posts
Another great blog erd! Got my eye on it

I'm a little disappointed with the current state of scale micro heli options. Here we are with these great micro heli mechanics, yet when it comes to scale there's only really handful of 'sort of' scale options to choose from, or static plastic kit bashing. The Heli-Scale-Quality kits appear to be the best you can buy but I'd like to see better. There's only so much you can do with vacuum formed parts.

I've done some experimenting of my own. Starting with a 1:48 scale Huey Hog plastic model kit, first I made latex moulds of the original plastic parts. Then from the moulds I re-create the plastic parts using tissue and glue. The first picture is a tissue re-production. I should have stuck my thumb in to show how truly small it is (The moulded piece is approx 8" tip to tip). The detail is absolutely perfect, down to the rivets and vent mesh. Or at least as perfect as the plastic kit was. Now that I'm examining parts under a magnifying glass I'm finding the plastic kits can be a little sloppy.

The final part came in ad 2.9 grams vs the original plastic part that was 5.15 grams. I can make it alot lighter too!

I've also been messing with getting rid of the can motor sticking out the tail. I came up with a shaft drive tail using micro LOSI car differential gears to make an angle drive out of the original tail motor mount. Topped it off with a Huey scale tail rotor made from flat carbon fibre. I wish I had more pictures of the completed tail rotor (properly painted) and not just the test rotor (which was a standard tail prop with blade 'extension' made of tape).

The shaft drive tail works great! I was testing it with my mSRx and it's a straight plug in. It had a limited life. The tail rotor is delicate and didn't take kindly to crashing and there's no bearings (or bushings) to speak of in the tail gear box, so things got sloppy and I started losing mesh. But when it did work it was smooth as butter. I've got a good selection of micro bearings for the next attempt, and I've been working on ways to mould my own micro bevel gears to make a solid repeatable gear box.

The trick is to get the tail angle. So many of the best helicopter subjects involve a bend in the tail that makes a straight shaft drive tail impossible. I have some ideas on that, but nothing I've tried yet. A straight shaft tail would be fine for your AS350 Ecureuil project.

Can you tell I've been holding this in too long
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:13 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,458 Posts
Hey E2, how's the scale project coming?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
Hey E2, how's the scale project coming?
Unfortunately I have a very short attention span - and at the moment my attention is spanning somewhere totally different (was trying to increase the opening in the blade grips for the DSS from 3mm to 4mm ... this is going to be interesting when I finally put blades in there ...)
Oh, and I got this FBL80, which I really should get flying - it is actually smaller than the Blade nanoCPX

So long story short ... scale project went a little down the priority list ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2013, 08:29 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,458 Posts
Ya, I know what that's like
Old Jul 03, 2013, 06:20 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,458 Posts
Hey E2, what's the status of your AS350?

Don't leave me hanging!
Old Jul 03, 2013, 07:45 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
Hey E2, what's the status of your AS350?

Don't leave me hanging!
I know, I should be ashamed of myself, as this is only a 10hour project, which should actually be completed on a rainy Saturday afternoon ...

but the status is still unchanged (whats even worse, I also got a screaming Mimi in this size that I have not even taken out of the box yet - its always the same ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2013, 07:58 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,458 Posts
Send me the dimensions and I'll make you a plug and play bevel gear box tail boom to fit your scale body that replaces the can in the tail with a true scale tail rotor.

I've got all the parts, but like you they're sitting around collecting dust instead of getting built and tested. Maybe this will get both our projects moving again.