HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
Question
Beginner crash help pls

Hi guys, would appreciate some help here;

So i bought a walkera CP master for my first proper Heli last week. I have loved rc models for years and fly planes but so excited to get my first helicopter. Everything was going great and just trying to get used to the 6 channels when i clipped a a rotar blade and the heli flipped upside down on the gravel.

Since then i have not been able to take off and the heli just wants to flip forwards whenever i go to full throttle. It's so frustrating and i just want to fly. Everything looks ok on the heli but something has clearly moved or been damaged. any help at all would be greatly appreciated as i'm a complete novice.

Thanks a lot,

Graham
lanky67 is offline Find More Posts by lanky67
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:19 PM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
lots can happen after a crash. If it just flips forward after the crash I would inspect the cyclic servos as servos absolutely love to strip in a crash. Check all servos for movement and smoothness. move them by hand and see if you feel clunky, jerky or crunch crunch on any of them. move them the whole trave. Is this a fbl or flybar heli?
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
Not sure what you mean to be honest, its the walkera master CP? Anything i can fix myself do you think? or should i take it to a shop? thanks a lot for your reply, appreciate it
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:54 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
It's flybarless, with weak servos. You definitely need to check your servos to ensure they are functioning correctly.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
ok, forgive me for being basic but what do i need to do to check my servos, what am i looking for out of place and how do i fix it? thanks
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:04 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky67 View Post
Not sure what you mean to be honest, its the walkera master CP? Anything i can fix myself do you think? or should i take it to a shop? thanks a lot for your reply, appreciate it
Collective pitch helicopters are quite the complex machines so some good advice would be learning how it operates before trying to fly it again. Not only will this help you diagnose and correct the problem you currently have, this will also assist you greatly with issues that arise down the road. I'm not saying you need an engineering degree to know how they work, but a basic understanding of how and why things do what they do on a heli is a useful tool. Because if you're just learning to fly a CP heli, especially on your own, crashes are not IF but WHEN and HOW OFTEN. We've all been there, trust me.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:06 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
7,020 Posts
Quote:
ok, forgive me for being basic but what do i need to do to check my servos, what am i looking for out of place and how do i fix it? thanks
WOS described exactly what you need to do in Post #2. Exactly how much plane experience do you have? I'm not trying to be insulting but the questions you're asking are typical of the rank beginner, not someone that has airplane experience under their belt.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:12 PM
WOS
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
Oops!
Last edited by WOS; Feb 28, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:45 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
7,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOS View Post
Thinking I am going to bow out of this one. For your info been flying heli's off and on for the past oh 14 years or so. Guess I am just an ignorant newb. I bow to the masters of RC!
Really? You must be one of the arrogant rc Plane guys at the field.
No sense in responding. Won't do any good
I think you misunderstood what I said... I was talking to the OP and said that you, WOS, described to him exactly what he needed to do to troubleshoot the servo problem on his heli. I was questioning his experience, not yours.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
yea,relax warren
mmracecars is offline Find More Posts by mmracecars
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
thanks for your help. in answer to your question, i am a rank beginner but have found rc planes/helicopters almost impossible to get into because no one seems able to help me without telling me how little i know. it seems to be quite a closed club of very knowledgable people that don't like beginners with semi good gear? am i way off the mark here?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:06 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
7,020 Posts
Quote:
thanks for your help. in answer to your question, i am a rank beginner but have found rc planes/helicopters almost impossible to get into because no one seems able to help me without telling me how little i know. it seems to be quite a closed club of very knowledgable people that don't like beginners with semi good gear? am i way off the mark here?
That's not it at all - those of us that have been around for a while see the same beginner mistakes over and over again. We just want you to to have a good experience so you don't get frustrated and leave the hobby. There's nothing wrong with starting with a CP heli; plenty of us have done it - myself included - but it's not the easiest path to take when you're a rank beginner.

You're not going to get judged by what you purchase - at least not by me. However the quality of the gear you buy is directly proportional to the level of success one will have from the starting gate... to a certain extent. I've never had a Walkera heli but their reputation is being generally difficult to fly, not very durable, and not easily able to find replacement parts. Walkera also releases new models rather rapidly so helis become obsolete quickly. It's been said that if you can learn how to fly helis on a Walkera that you can handle pretty much everything from that point forward. Many like to start with E-Flite helis. While they are more expensive than Walkera, Syma, Double Horse, and other "cheaper" brands, they tend to be more durable. Most importantly, parts are easily found at your LHS and Horizon Hobby's customer service is legendary.

The point being, we just want you to have fun and not get frustrated. We're not criticizing what you buy; just sometimes better choices can be made.

Anyway, back to your problem. Like WOS said in post #2, check your cyclic servos for damage. Those are the servos that are connected to the swashplate, which is the ring right below the main rotor blades on the main shaft. Most CP helis have three cyclic servos. Move the right control stick left/right and up/down... do all three servos move? Are they jerky in any way? Do you hear any clicking and/or grinding? From what you describe, one or more of those servos may be damaged and require repair and/or replacement.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:04 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,448 Posts
I have Master c/p. You crashed onto gravel and heli fliped on it head. You will find at least two servos striped. Bang good sells metal geared replacements. You say you are new and seem offended at some of posts. Master c/p is a 6 ch c/p heli and you need to know how they work. If you fly an RC full house plane still will not make you a c/p heli flyer.
Get a cheap Quad like V929/V949. Syma X-1 / Husban X-4 and learn how to fly them. Save M C/P for later. This is honest advice. With understanding and skill you will learn. Master c/p has good power and able to inflick serious hurt to your person, or others. Master the quad and move to a Super c/p 100 size. It will work with your radio. Best luck. Master c/p is a beginner 6 ch c.p heli, not a total beginner heli....> Fly over grass if possible. 100 size helis take much more abuse than bigger birds.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:27 AM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
Guys thanks so much for your advice, i clearly have jumped in here at the deep end!. Appreciate the advice and i'll let you know how i get on, thanks again,
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:45 AM
WOS
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
Quote:
Guys thanks so much for your advice, i clearly have jumped in here at the deep end!. Appreciate the advice and i'll let you know how i get on, thanks again,
I don't think thee is anyone on here that hasn't crashed. I started 14 years ago, I think, with a concept 30 nitro heli. Very first flight I rammed into a telephone pole. Not much left to repair so bought a raptor 30, put on training gear and started tail in hovering. I would say it was 3 months between the two of them and after I crashed the first one.
A plus to have and keep is a simulator, there are free ones which will give you the basics and better one to pay for that are really close if not spot on flying the real heli.
Look into sims, you can fly a heli on a sim you should be able to fly the real