SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:24 PM
United States, IL, South Elgin
Joined Dec 2012
71 Posts
New Product
HK X900 Tricopter

Saw this pop up on the new items on HK the other night and ordered one. Looks like the yaw mech is improved over the Talon. Anxiously awaiting arrival as this will be my first build. Anyone have any thoughts on is frame?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_Frame.html
AlrightMister is offline Find More Posts by AlrightMister
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:42 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
591 Posts
I'll be watching this thread as I have the Talon tri and I'm interested in how this one compares. The price is definitely right.
Invid is online now Find More Posts by Invid
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:50 AM
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlrightMister View Post
Saw this pop up on the new items on HK the other night and ordered one. Looks like the yaw mech is improved over the Talon. Anxiously awaiting arrival as this will be my first build. Anyone have any thoughts on is frame?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_Frame.html
I ordered one of these a few days ago too. Did you go with the KK2 board AlrightMister?

Josh
Milwaukee, WI
jdwphotos.com is offline Find More Posts by jdwphotos.com
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:04 PM
Joined Dec 2012
71 Posts
I did go with the KK2 board. At some point may move to APM or PX4 but I want to get this in the air asap. I will post pics when I get it. I'm going to use these 2836 1400kv motors on this. What will you use?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=18969

A bit on the cheap side but I needed so much stuff for this build that I wanted to save a little. Maybe not the best place to skimp but I spent most of my motor money on tail booms for my nano cpx

Buddy code if anyone wants to save a few bucks on this airframe.

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-58A88973FDEE
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
19 Posts
Just ordered one. Was looking at quad frames when this caught my eye, looks like it should be a fun little bird to fly.

I went with their suggested setup and grabbed the 28-30A NTM 750kv motors on 10x4.5 props.

Went KK2 for the main board, and am giving their multistar ESCs a shot

I have no experience with setting up multi-rotors and I placed this order at like 1am with little sleep so this could be a hilariously bad setup; will find out soon! I've already made the mistake of ordering 3 ESCs with no BEC, so I can't wait to find out what else I've messed up.
FireSlash is offline Find More Posts by FireSlash
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:56 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
I got this one ordered aswell, waiting for it to arrive. I'm gonna try it with DT750's and 11x4.7 that I have laying around, but my guess is that it might be slightly under-powered
freddelito is offline Find More Posts by freddelito
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
71 Posts
Package for you sir!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, Wiltshire
Joined Jan 2013
832 Posts
nice, mine should be here in a few days, cant wait. I went ntm 750kv with 1045
ezroller is online now Find More Posts by ezroller
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:51 PM
United States, AL
Joined Feb 2012
345 Posts
Hey guys I just got done with my first quad build and it went just fine. I watched a video of a tricopter done by Flitetest and now I have to have a tricopter. I am curious as how the tail works. I know that the yaw is controlled by a servo but I am just curious as how to get it all working. I would really like to know how it works and I just pulled the trigger on this frame. Good luck guys and any help would be much appreciated.
broncoboy36081 is offline Find More Posts by broncoboy36081
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSlash View Post
I've already made the mistake of ordering 3 ESCs with no BEC, so I can't wait to find out what else I've messed up.
haha, I was very close as well! I guess you went for the recommended ones? you should only need one BEC ESC to power the board and could still use the non BEC ones
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
71 Posts
I've been working on a dry-fit of this frame as time permits today and some of the hardware seems a bit crap. The M3x24 truss head screws in particular are soft and don't seem to have accurate head sizes. I have nearly rounded out a couple already and they won't last through unscrewing, loctiting, and re-fastening. I'm going to work on the tail and get it all together and see if anything else needs upgrading. I plan to order some quality M3x25 stainless screws and nuts and hopefully that will be it. I'm going to get regular socket head screws and not the truss head type included with the kit as I don't see that they will interfere with anything. Anyone else having similar issues?

Jim
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:33 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezroller View Post
haha, I was very close as well! I guess you went for the recommended ones? you should only need one BEC ESC to power the board and could still use the non BEC ones
You need 2 with the KK2 board. One to power the KK2 and Rx in M1, one to supply the servo with power, plugged into any of the M2-M8 outputs (they share a common ground).

The KK2 will not power the servo itself. If you purchased 3 opto ESCs, you can plug a BEC into the battery input on the Rx to power it and the KK2 instead of using M1. That would be all you need on a quad. On a tri, you need another BEC on the output side rails for the tail servo power too.
Invid is online now Find More Posts by Invid
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:05 AM
United States, AL
Joined Feb 2012
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid View Post
You need 2 with the KK2 board. One to power the KK2 and Rx in M1, one to supply the servo with power, plugged into any of the M2-M8 outputs (they share a common ground).

The KK2 will not power the servo itself. If you purchased 3 opto ESCs, you can plug a BEC into the battery input on the Rx to power it and the KK2 instead of using M1. That would be all you need on a quad. On a tri, you need another BEC on the output side rails for the tail servo power too.
Not to high jack this but the esc/bec is going to need to have a linear bec and not a switching bec. The switching bec if multiple are plugged in to the kk2 board it can cause some problems. Just my 2cents worth.
broncoboy36081 is offline Find More Posts by broncoboy36081
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:46 AM
Joined Jan 2013
832 Posts
ah I see, im a crius/mpng user assumed most boards were the same. gonna get me a kk2 next time i order something from hk, theyre meant to be a lot easier to set up for tri's.

so the screws are crap then... will try and get some replacements beforehand or loctite them from the start.

thanks for the heads up, let us know if there is anything else that needs addressing. I didnt realise this frame was so new when i ordered mine, no wonder I couldnt find a single video of it on youtube! but for the price i guess its not gonna be the best frame ever but a good one to start on and learn about tri's before making a self built one or forking out for a talon.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined Dec 2012
71 Posts
So I finished up the tail last night and I have to say that I'm pretty happy with it. The only slop in this yaw mechanism is in the servo itself and that is very very little. It is smooth and should work well and last. That being said assembly was not without issues. You will have to file the slots in the servo side plates to get the main plate to fit. Better to file to fit then have it come too loose. My kit is missing the 4x6.5x.02 kingpin washers that fit over each bearing so I will have to find replacements so I don't damage the bearings or have the kingpin back itself out during use. I will also change from the straight servo horn in the pics to a round one to secure it with 4 screws instead of 2 but it was late and I didn't feel like dealing with it last night. Also I will be adding a zip tie to hold the servo in on final assembly. Guess I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy. FYI one side of each linkage rod is reverse threaded so that theoretically you could change the linkage length by grabbing the barrel with pliers and twisting it one way or the other. The only problem with that is that the rod is so tiny and round that this is impractical. It is much better to pop one link end off to adjust the length. But to sum up. I like it a lot and hope HK starts selling the tail assembly as a replacement part. I would definitely buy a couple for spares or other builds and I think they would sell a ton of them.