Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:25 AM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Question
Book Reccomendation

Howdy Folks,

I am interested in purchasing a few books with information regarding model airplane design and construction. I have seen a few posts talking about some really old books over in the Vintage section and I liked the little taste that I got. If anyone has any books that they are fond of, I would appreciate a recommendation. As far as my taste goes, the older the book the more interesting I find it but I am definitely interested in recent works as well, especially if it contained some information regarding CAD and model design/construction.

Thanks for the tips.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:01 AM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Nov 2011
336 Posts
Check out Kieth Sparks book on building with foam, allot of good info on different techniques, his sight is Park Flyers something, if you look in the scale electric or R/c Airliner threads you can check out some of his work, he has plans and short kits available also, both foam and balsa.
Hollywood2979 is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood2979
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:52 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,626 Posts
Here's a must have. http://www.amazon.com/R-C-Model-Airp.../dp/0879382384

Andy Lennon wrote many articles and a column for M.A.N. if I remember correctly. When I sold my house years ago, instead of dragging all the back issues of M.A.N. with me, I made sure to cut out all his acticles, still have them for reference.

I will add Keith Sparks book is on my list also. I just started working with foam, and comes highly recommended. http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=644
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:49 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
If you're the technical type, "The Theory of Wing Sections" is a good one to have. Everything you wanted to know about airfoils but were afraid to ask.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:50 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,406 Posts
For a 'free and simple' CAD point of view, Google SketchUp is a handy tool for general CAD type work, though you will probably need something more fancy for complex surface shaping.

Here's some threads worth a look -

Using google Sketchup for modeling... With practical examples

Free 3D! Sketchup Parts!

Create PDF's from your Google Sketchup plans video tutorial
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:27 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Thanks for all the tips, guys. I will be looking to pick up a copy of Andy Lennon's book. Possibly Keith Spark's book, but at this point in time Im not terribly interested in foam construction.

Eflightray - I have access to Solidworks and ProE so I wont be using sketchup for much. I have used it before though, and it is a great free program. Im sure the threads you mention have theory that would easily be applied to a more sophisticated CAD program, so I will take a look.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:30 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,590 Posts
You know I have a couple of the more popular books and they are loaded with all kinds of theory and nifty equations. I have found that a little google searching will find you a couple of articles from Chuck Cunningham and Ken Willard that contain some really practical model airplane design theory. This info coupled with one of the online CG calculators will get you going in the right direction.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,627 Posts
Martin Simons' book are nice. One is 'Model Aircraft Aerodynamics'. It is pertinent and an 'easy' read. Mr. Simons is a really nice guy so that is icing on the cake!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP