HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Thats video is pretty impressive! What would you guys say, CTH Albatross or AXN ?
Wasame3 is offline Find More Posts by Wasame3
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:37 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
I fly my AXN Floater Jet in wind all the time, but keep it around 3/4 throttle at all times. If you fly her like a jet, with the throttle pegged, the plane slices through the wind like a knife. I also fly my PZ T-28 Trojan in winds up to 15 mph with no problems. You simply need to learn to fly in the wind. It's not always gonna be dead calm outside.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
What kind of set up do you have on the floater jet? Do you have the stock motor and ESC or did you put in your own? I hear that there are some problems with the stock motor and ESC. Thanks
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
Mine is bone stock. Haven't had a problem and I have quite a few flights on mine. I fly mine with a HeadsUP RC 2200 mah 3s 50c battery. CG is spot on with this. I also use the Spektrum AR400 RX with the satellite antenna all the way forward in the nose. Mine is rock solid.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:52 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I also fly my PZ T-28 Trojan in winds up to 15 mph with no problems. You simply need to learn to fly in the wind. It's not always gonna be dead calm outside.
+1. i'm sure others have said it too. just get used to flying in the wind with practice. many fliers here have started out from the beginning learning how to fly in wind.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,117 Posts
I also have a Bixler (the AXn bigger brother) and it doesn't do as well as the Albatross in the wind. It also can't survive a hard landing (crash) like the EPP builds. A while back I was about 300 feet up and wanted a fast decent, I put the Albatross into a dive intending to pull out at the last minute, I misjudged it and smacked straight into the ground with a sickening thud, flipping it over on its back. I walked over cleaned the mud off and launched it. If I did that with an EPO I'd still be picking up the pieces. On a 2,000 mAh battery I've gotten 26 minute flights. It's also aerobatic. I made this video to show what a three channel can do.
Albatross Yank & Bank #2 (4 min 44 sec)
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Nice video 1fullbird! How was the assembly? I dont want to assemble something complex so thats why I was looking at the anx.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:04 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasame3 View Post
What kind of set up do you have on the floater jet? Do you have the stock motor and ESC or did you put in your own? I hear that there are some problems with the stock motor and ESC. Thanks
If you buy an AXN , get the kit without servos or esc.
Dont trust the cheap kitset esc's on the cheap Chinese planes.
You really want a better esc with a 3A BEC, still pretty cheap at HobbyKing.
The stock motor is OK, there are some issues with the magnets coming loose after a crash, but spare motor is so cheap it doesnt matter.Buy a $8 spare motor.
My 1st motor had the magnets come out, 2nd motor is 100% OK.

Build vids here, with lots of suggestions, worth a look anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB2541DD14E15F743

The AXN is easily the toughest RC plane Ive seen, it can break, but easily fixed with hot glue.
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:11 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
It's a tossup between my AXN and my Tower Hobbies F4U Corsair and Hellcat as to which is the toughest plane. All can take a fair amount of abuse and keep flying. I gave away my first TH F4U to a good friend and it has been bonked in numerous times by the new owner and is still in the air. Amazing.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Thanks for all the answers everyone, I think Im gonna go with the AXN
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasame3 View Post
Nice video 1fullbird! How was the assembly? I dont want to assemble something complex so thats why I was looking at the anx.
I don't think they are complex at all. Check out the build videos on the CTH web site. Just don't overthink it--they are that simple and tough. I built my Albatross orginally as a front engine mount and then converted it to a pod mount long before they put instructions out. All the Albtrosses at my field are pod mounts. Guys love the clear nose, don't bang the prop, carry throttlle all the way to your feet for landing. If you decide on an Albatross there is a thread you can post your build questions. Lee (he designed the aircraft) follows the thread to answer questions.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1771648
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Ya but the Albatross is $75 + $125 shipping. Plus all the gear. AXN is much cheaper
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:38 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,117 Posts
Where in the world are you that the shipping is $125?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Mount Everest! read it wrong, $125 with shipping included. Thought it was pretty steep...