HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Thanks for the answer Phoam. I have the HZ Champ and am looking to upgrade to a 4 channel. Would you suggest the T-28 or the UM T-28 as my flying area isn't that big (acerage). Does the UM have the same wind characteristics as the larger ( other than weight obviously)? Is there a plane like the milenium master but smaller?
Wasame3 is offline Find More Posts by Wasame3
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:48 PM
Rob H
United States, MD, Rosedale
Joined Jul 2011
118 Posts
Personally I would stay away from the T-28 with wind unless you upgrade the motor. Out of the box they are a bit under powered to fight a heavy breeze and possibly get you out of trouble at the same time.

If you are not opposed to building, I would suggest a Mojo 25 or any small profile. I run one with a park 480 and it is a blast to fly, but also handles up to 10-15 mph winds no problem. Just an opinion though.
rph1225 is offline Find More Posts by rph1225
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:09 PM
Clarkston, MI
Joined Apr 2005
102 Posts
My formosa with a brushless outrunner and 2100 mah battery used to handle a 15mph wind no problem. Use a large battery for extra weight and keep the speed up.
imjony5 is offline Find More Posts by imjony5
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:14 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasame3 View Post
Thanks for the answer Phoam. I have the HZ Champ and am looking to upgrade to a 4 channel. Would you suggest the T-28 or the UM T-28 as my flying area isn't that big (acerage). Does the UM have the same wind characteristics as the larger ( other than weight obviously)? Is there a plane like the milenium master but smaller?
The larger T28 is not bad, but not the best in wind for sure, but the UM T28 as compared to the bigger one is a 1 compared to a 80 on a 1-100 scale. In other words when it comes to wind, there is no comparison. The little one just isn't a windy weather flyer unless you are really good and like drama.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:20 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,244 Posts
Yeah, the UM doesn't like much wind but can definitely be flown in smaller areas better than the full size. No, I haven't seen anything like the Millennium in a smaller scale.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:22 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,064 Posts
Albatross by Crash Test Hobby. Handles the wind, made out of EPP so it handles rough landings, pod mount for motor so the props doesn't get busted, can be used for learning FPV or fliming from the nose, good flight times with a 2,200 mAh battery. Hard to find something bad.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:44 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,244 Posts
Good call, fullbird.

Wasame - watch the crash-testing vid of the Albatross and more on this page. Would suit you very well as a second plane.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
So I looked at Crash Test Hobbies website and I like the albatross. Would the smaller Pelican (34" vs 46") work well in the wind? I have a smaller flying area so I'm thinking the albatross may be too big. Can you buy them somewhere already build?
Wasame3 is offline Find More Posts by Wasame3
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
So I looked at Crash Test Hobbies website and I like the albatross. Would the smaller Pelican (34" vs 46") work well in the wind? I have a smaller flying area so I'm thinking the albatross may be too big. Can you buy them somewhere already build?
The design of the wing makes even the smaller verison fly well in the wind. I'm not sure what size your flying area is but the Albatross can be flown on a very small ball field and takes heaps of abuse. The aircraft is very easy to put together. CTH uses easy to get items such as solderng iron, hot glue, shoe goo, and extreme tape. The videos on their website are pretty good at walking you through the steps.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:12 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,506 Posts
My Mini Ultra Stick flies very well in the wind. I beefed up the landing gear area (CA and light ply) and use nylon bolts to secure the gear. Hard landings are no problem.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:12 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,788 Posts
Quote:
Is the Millennium Master good for a relatively new flyer? I don't want to waste my money crashing or blowing away, so what is the best smaller plane for wind overall (Including wings)?
Learning to fly in light wind first is a must. Then step it up a little at a time till you feel confident. Just never forget the downwind run can fool you and you can actually stall and then you go down and pretty fast. Also if you get downwind and you cannot make decent headway, land it quick before it gets too far away. Ask me how I know. Like the rest of it, it just takes practice.

It is also much easier to learn in a steady breeze that a gusty day. Just enjoy the experience.

The best plane might be the cheapest plan you have that has spares readily available that don't cost much that you are comfortable flying and not attached to.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:29 AM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
I live on the top of a hill so it usually is breezy. I have a good sized area to fly with good visability but lost of low willow trees. I don't want a flying wing, or to large a plane however. I'm a relatively new rc flyer but want a good plane to grow into. Thanks in advance.
Conventional wisdom says "at least a 5lb. or so, plane. You'll never manage wind with a 'cheap' 2lb. foamy!"

Yeah?

I'll get run out of town by a crowd with pitchforks and sticks o' fire for saying this (so sue me), but...

2lb. 'cheap' foamies fly just fine in 'near-gale' winds with a 3-axis gyro!

Turn the gain up, or down, on each axis independently for the amount of 'authority' you need. I've got one of the Hobby King Orange 3-axis ones in my Parkzone Icon A5, presently - but I only use it 15% of the time, and switch it off at my Tx when not needed (I use the 'gear' switch on my DX6i).

There are several around - between $12-30 or so, if you research.

It's no substitute for "good technique," in any event - but a real help in pretty strong wind!

WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:59 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Quote:
I live on the top of a hill so it usually is breezy. I have a good sized area to fly with good visability but lost of low willow trees. I don't want a flying wing, or to large a plane however. I'm a relatively new rc flyer but want a good plane to grow into. Thanks in advance.

A lot of planes will fly good in the wind if you can.
It helps if the plane is set-up for the wind.
Here's a post from my Boomer Thread.
The first plane is a 6oz Boomer on a 2 cell batt, flying in 15mph winds gusting.
The second vid is a simple PC-9 parkflyer, set-up lite, 10.5ozs and modded for the wind, flying in winds gusting to 20mph.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:42 AM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
My SUPERFLY delta does a great job in windy conditions.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:12 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
517 Posts
I have a T28, AXN & a EPP profile plane.(& some others)
I dont want a wing either & are still looking for the best windy day plane.

The T28 struggles flying into the wind, but it is the best plane overall, not the best in wind.

The AXN is fun in the wind, the Bixler's & Muliplex's at the local park are just as good in the wind, if not better.
The AXN will survive REALLY hard crashes with minor damage. Thats a big plus +++. These type of planes have the motor in mid mounted, so a nose first crash is no big issue. Thats another big PLUS if you are learning. The Bixler may be the easier plane to fly

My Profile EPP plane is light weight, but is surprisingly unaffected by the wind.
I was very surprised flying this plane this weekend in wind, hardly seemed affected all all, launch was a bit scary though.
Epp does not like being crashed, it tears quite easily & the area around the motor mount will turn to mush after a few crashes.

looksee here
AXN Floater does 110MPH - RC plane (7 min 48 sec)
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Last edited by 1101; Mar 04, 2013 at 03:19 AM.