HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Discussion
Best park flyer for wind?

I live on the top of a hill so it usually is breezy. I have a good sized area to fly with good visability but lost of low willow trees. I don't want a flying wing, or to large a plane however. I'm a relatively new rc flyer but want a good plane to grow into. Thanks in advance.
Wasame3 is offline Find More Posts by Wasame3
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Flying wings of various sorts. And pattern planes, eg. the GWS Formosa.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2004
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasame3 View Post
I live on the top of a hill so it usually is breezy. I have a good sized area to fly with good visability but lost of low willow trees. I don't want a flying wing, or to large a plane however. I'm a relatively new rc flyer but want a good plane to grow into. Thanks in advance.
Zagi type flying wings fly very well in wind. I would recommend those. Try popwings.
ssgtakeo is online now Find More Posts by ssgtakeo
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:17 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
op said he DOES NOT want a flying wing.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:26 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
For a windy day plane with trees maybe in your path, get something made out of EPP, like the Hacker mid wing planes and build it light.
I have several that hand launch near vertical, and land slow enough to catch, plus turn and loop on a dime.
The best for the wind is extra power, over sized controls and symmetrical airfoils.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777 View Post
The best for the wind is extra power, over sized controls and symmetrical airfoils.
And the skill to use all of that.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:06 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
And the skill to use all of that.
The skills don't come in a Cracker-Jack box, there earned in the School of Hard Knocks!
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Sep 2004
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
op said he DOES NOT want a flying wing.
Well it's too bad that, that is exactly what is called for huh?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Sep 2004
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777 View Post
The skills don't come in a Cracker-Jack box, there earned in the School of Hard Knocks!
Werd
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
The new Glasair Sportsman from hobby zone has two axis damping and a 54 inch wingspan that really helps with flying in wind. It is a foam park plane, so of course this has its limits, but I had it out in 10 mph winds with 13 to 14 mph gusts and it did much better than my Super Cub would have done.
TexasRob is offline Find More Posts by TexasRob
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:24 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,260 Posts
Hilltop homestead here too. Check out the sporty Flyzone Millennium Master if you're ready for ailerons as it has superior wind tolerance for a 40" wingspan foamy. Also has trike gear for excellent ground handling.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Is the Millennium Master good for a relatively new flyer? I don't want to waste my money crashing or blowing away, so what is the best smaller plane for wind overall (Including wings)?
Wasame3 is offline Find More Posts by Wasame3
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:38 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,014 Posts
Quote:
Is the Millennium Master good for a relatively new flyer? I don't want to waste my money crashing or blowing away, so what is the best smaller plane for wind overall (Including wings)?
I wouldn't recommend it for a new flyer, as in this video, he recommends it for intermediate pilots.
Flyzone Millennium Master RC Airplane Review and Flight (8 min 32 sec)

I'd go for the Park Zone Trojan, good for the beginner and a good pilot can wring it out. Spare parts available.
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4475
Check out all the wind reports for this plane here.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Feb 28, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Wasame... this is a topic that comes around regularly here on RCG. Sorry to have to say this, but there is no plane or category of plane that will "enable" a beginner to fly in wind.

There are general types and shapes of planes that handle wind better than others, but here's the problem: the things that make a plane "better in wind" are mostly the things that make the plane more difficult to fly, in general.

Generous control surfaces, for example, and lack of dihedral are good things to have for dealing with wind, but without them, a plane takes more skill to fly. Many folks claim that "high wing loading" is the key to good performance in wind, but again that's opposite of what you want in a beginner's plane.

That said... have a look at the GWS Formosa, a well known and inexpensive plane with a "pattern" shape to it. If your skills are up to flying the Formosa, you'll find it handles wind quite nicely. But it is not a beginner's plane.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:10 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Rafe summed it up purdy well. But just how new of a flyer are you? If you have any experience with 4-channel planes, I think you'd fare well with the MM (on calmer days until sufficient experience is built up). The PZ Trojan is a good choice too; I learned 4-ch on mine. Though the MM will fly just as slow, fly faster when you want it to, and shares the same floaty landing approach qualities as the PZ Trojan.

The Millennium cuts through wind better than the Trojan, but Trojan parts are cheaper and as easy to come by as a visit to your local hobby shop.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam