Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:05 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Discussion
Thin/glossy magazine paper toner transfer source

Hi guys,

I've been making PCB with glossy magazine paper (from Target), and it does fantastic jobs of transferring the toner to the PCB due to its thinness. I'm doing the transferring at 140*c - 150 degrees Celsius. The main problem is that the original images of the magazine on the paper also transferred to the PCB (though it's not really obvious, but enough to make the PCB dirty). I've had some luck and was able to find some pages that are not so colorful and or not in black or red that would give me good result without the unwanted transfer.

I'm wondering if anyone has any source for those thin magazine paper that are blank?

Thanks

-Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:13 AM
Joined Oct 2012
224 Posts
hello friend vietnam
I also in vietnam, live in Vung tau city

you can show me some pictures your DIY ?
fantasy1988 is offline Find More Posts by fantasy1988
Last edited by fantasy1988; Feb 27, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:51 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Hello Fantasy,

Great to meet you here. I got a lot of hobbies and DIY stuff, not sure what you're into. One of the things I did recently here:

I used to do UV transfer to make PCB. They are nice, but the it's hard to keep the timing correct to make consistent designs. They give me this kind of result (the upper, yellow board):

Lately with PCB transfer (which is quicker and more consistent). Result could be seen in the attached photos
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:05 AM
Joined Oct 2012
224 Posts
Great
I have a question, how to connect two layers?
lead plating ?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:45 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
I would make some vias and just put a thin wire in and add solder on both layers. I try to limit my board to 1 layer only . I don't like drilling and it could be hard to align the top and bottom layers.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:53 AM
Joined Oct 2012
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
I would make some vias and just put a thin wire in and add solder on both layers. I try to limit my board to 1 layer only . I don't like drilling and it could be hard to align the top and bottom layers.
I design esc brushless and brushed , so do SMD circuit board and two board layer , it's difficult to do manually with two board layer

Hope you visit often, I'm always here DIY electric (only ) because I like handmade
glad talk to you .(chung ta la dong huong hihi )
Last edited by fantasy1988; Feb 27, 2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:18 PM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,108 Posts
A better source than magazine paper is the backing paper that you peel stickers away from. An office supply place will have some stickers that you can harvest the backing paper from
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:40 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Thanks for the tip Veteran. I will try to find one of those papers and try it out. Are we supposed to use the wax side or the back side of that paper?

Thanks

Thanh
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:43 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
A better source than magazine paper is the backing paper that you peel stickers away from. An office supply place will have some stickers that you can harvest the backing paper from
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Thanks for the tip Veteran. I will try to find one of those papers and try it out. Are we supposed to use the wax side or the back side of that paper?

Thanks

Thanh
Just thought great source for that backing paper would be car/van vinyl sign writer....
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:29 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,108 Posts
Print the ink onto the wax side

If you are willing to take a leap of faith you can modify your printer so that it feeds straight through from the bak and accepts the thick PCB and you can print straight onto it then.

Some forums show you how to do it for your particular model.

With the price of printers these days it's certainly a viable option
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:58 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
Just thought great source for that backing paper would be car/van vinyl sign writer....
Sounds like a good source. My kids should have some used sticker sheets which should give me enough test pages. Hope that works though.

I've used the professional press-n-peel blue sheets but they didn't stick well for me. They are probably too thick and too stiff to stay truly touch to the PCB and transfer enough heat. Not sure what . But I didn't bother trying to make it work since the magazine paper worked much better, except the unwanted transfer of the original magazine artworks, of course. Just one pass through the laminator at 140*C and the toners are transferred well and tough.

Thanks

-Thanh
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:03 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
Print the ink onto the wax side

If you are willing to take a leap of faith you can modify your printer so that it feeds straight through from the bak and accepts the thick PCB and you can print straight onto it then.

Some forums show you how to do it for your particular model.

With the price of printers these days it's certainly a viable option
Are you saying modifying the laser printer to print toner directly onto the copper clad? That would be cool, but I didn't think it would work since I thought toner stuck to the paper via static charge.

I've heard / read about using inkjet printers to print directly onto copper on hackaday.com, but I didn't like it much since I've had couple inkjet printers just clog their print heads after couple months of sitting idles. And I don't use it too often.

Thanh
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:56 PM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,108 Posts
Ive fed some 0.3mm PCB through my printer but from what ive read it can be difficult to modify them to fit standard PCB.

This is the method i employ> http://ultrakeet.com.au/write-ups/makepcbs
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:24 PM
McDonough, Georgia USA
Joined Feb 2005
300 Posts
Has anybody tried using CUT-RITE wax paper from grocery store

I taped a piece to a sheet of paper and printed a real clear image.
The wax paper did want to adhere to the sheet of paper, but separated
easily,, it was more like static attraction? The paper adhering may be a good thing.. I'm currently using press and peel.

I lay the pcb on a wood cutting board, lay the image on it, cover with a VIVA
paper towel and use an iron that cycles 325-375 deg for 4 minutes , then
run cold water over pca , which helps separate press-peel from pca, so far working great..

I do need a better heating source,, what are others using?
xtal is offline Find More Posts by xtal