HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:26 PM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Discussion
Best OSD for the $$$

So I'm looking through OSD's to add to my system. I want to purchase an OSD that has GPS capabilities with a return home arrow.

What's the best bang for the buck for an entry level OSD that has GPS? Not looking to spend $351023912 for one... They can be expesive.
gridc0 is offline Find More Posts by gridc0
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:16 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
672 Posts
Skylark's Tiny OSD III should work well for you. It is a no non sense, and very easy to install OSD, with a gps, current sensor, and home arrow. It really does everything you really need, and nothing you don't, especially for someone new to OSDs. I recommend it as it just works and is very easy to install and is, as the name indicates, tiny. You could fit it in almost anything.
Hmerly is online now Find More Posts by Hmerly
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Apr 2012
922 Posts
Rvosd
timtimtim is online now Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:43 PM
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
I have two skylark tiny osd. One never worked, crashed on computer connection, skylark fixing now for free. So great service, I just question the design and the configure tool can be a nightmare for some, I am one of those, doesn't like windows 7. Worked once on do, then crashed, for me if I don't get this working as I wanted simple also, I may look at the cyclops breeze. Simple, rssi, return home arrow, voltages distance , alt and all configure though the unit on your display with a push button, no computer needed except if you ever decide to update, seems like a k.i.s.s. osd, 90$ on different site, free ship
firedawg1998 is offline Find More Posts by firedawg1998
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,302 Posts
My opinion:
If your planning to fly outside line of sight, then you need more than a return to home arrow, but you need something that will automatically turn the plane around and fly home if you have a problem.

Cyclops Storm OSD.. $150. It has everything the others mentioned, but it also has autopilot RTH.. It is also very easy to setup, no pc is needed etc. Sure, it may cost $50 more, but if it prevents you from losing a plane I think that would more than make up for it.
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:32 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,997 Posts
E-OSD

navigate by the stars!

Storm has some known issues - even with the latest firmware. But I still fly with Storm and yes it is darn easy to set up with good GPS nav telemetry. My amps sensor died, as many others have. Several have had crashes with the OSD locking up due to miswired GPS from the factory. I also have 2 Nova OSD and the IR sensor system never worked. So I have become negative on Cyclops products (other than CE OSD).

Consider DOSD2 and EZOSD, Skylark, as more respected products under $200. DOSD2 is awesome value if you get the autpilot working without an IMU, as many have done.

The cheapest, but far from the best, GPS OSD is Suppo OSDs - they have a couple of them in the $50-60 range. I have used the pigeon one and it is passable, with good home arrow and radar view system, still working a year later. Now renamed the 'super easy OSD.' The GPS altimeter can be inaccurate and slow at times, and there is no current sensor - but I can live without current sensor. On my DVR, the OSD sometimes disappears and reappears, but on my goggles/TV it stays in view (weird). Good for putting together a cheap expendable fpv plane. Bambucopter sells them. http://www.bambucopter.com/suppo-eas...-with-5hz-gps/

BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 27, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:25 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,457 Posts
DragonOSD V2.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:37 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts