HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 06, 2004, 03:32 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,346 Posts
I doubt it... I don't get in to DFW till 7:30, then I have to pick up my kids in Mesquite(spelling??). By the time I get done, I don't think I'll have time to get over there. Bummer too 'cause I wanted to go...

Tim
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Last edited by Tim H.; Jan 06, 2004 at 03:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2004, 06:49 PM
Paris, Tx
Joined May 2002
39 Posts
What is everyone using for hinges these days the foamies?

What about control horns?

Anyone know when DepronUSA will have more 6mm in?

D.
dneisler is offline Find More Posts by dneisler
Old Jan 06, 2004, 07:13 PM
Joined Dec 2002
14 Posts
Hello,

I'm looking to replace my 8 cell 5/4AAA 800 mAh packs with something that can deliver more amps. This setup will be going in a 3DX (hence my choice of this thread). I have the choices of either a 7 cell 5/4AAA pack, an 8 cell KAN 950 pack, or either 2s or 3s Etec or Kokam 1200 li Poly's. Does anyone have any direct experience with any of these setups? I'm thinking the 7 cell pack might bring the amperage in line, but obviously it's gonna have the least power of the 3 choices, the KANs are gonna be too heavy, leaving the li-Poly's... I'd like to stay with 2s, since I'd like to stay brushed for now, but if I ever go brushless, 3s is the setup from what I read. Is 2s going to work, or will I be displeased with this setup too? I see that the max amp draw s 6 amps for the lipoly cells, although I've seen where they get pushed beyond that. Hopefully this hasn't been rehashed too many times, I have gone through seemingly millions of these threads and not found what I'm looking for, although I may have missed it. Thanks a lot for your help.
dan__olson is offline Find More Posts by dan__olson
Old Jan 06, 2004, 07:25 PM
WA
Joined Jan 2004
132 Posts
I say--but im no expert--go LI-poly. They cant be beat. If i were you i would buy 3s packs. You can use them on the brushed setup just be easy on the throttle. This way when you go brushless which you will, you dont have to get new packs. Just my 2 cents. I used 3s on a brushed setup several times with no problem other than the motor gets a little warm if you get to throttle happy.
davejfred23 is offline Find More Posts by davejfred23
Old Jan 06, 2004, 07:37 PM
Des Moines, Iowa
Joined Apr 2003
168 Posts
dneisler,

I have used both the Robart/Klett mini hinge points and the smallest Du-Bro pined hinges. The hinge points are lighter but I have heard they are discontinued so they might be hard to get. The Du-Bro pinned hinges work quite well . They install easy and since they pivot on a pin are very easy for the servo to move. I know a lot of people here are using floppy disk material cut up and I have seen some using tyvek material from postal envelopes.

In the end anything that does not make the surface stiff to move will probably work. That is part of the coolness of these type models. You can really improvise!
dlesnick is offline Find More Posts by dlesnick
Old Jan 06, 2004, 07:50 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,346 Posts
Dan, if you don't want to go Lipo, the KAN 650's beat the AAA cells hands down in performance and weigh much less than the 950's (about what the 720's do) They handle the voltage much better too.

Tim
Old Jan 06, 2004, 08:51 PM
Albuquerqe, NM
Joined Mar 2002
218 Posts
Light higes

I cut out 15 ea hinges ( 4 ea ail, 4 elevator, 3 rudder) today out of floppy disc, the total weight for all 15 hinges was .75 grams, compared to a 1" wide plans built taped hige at 2.94 grams
LeeU is offline Find More Posts by LeeU
Old Jan 06, 2004, 08:55 PM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim H.
I doubt it... I don't get in to DFW till 7:30, then I have to pick up my kids in Mesquite(spelling??). By the time I get done, I don't think I'll have time to get over there. Bummer too 'cause I wanted to go...

Tim

ahhh...well..if you get a chance, then come on over and say "hi" or something...
maybe next time..3 more chances in January..maybe even more..

birdie
birdie_in_texas is offline Find More Posts by birdie_in_texas
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:19 PM
Joined Dec 2002
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim H.
Dan, if you don't want to go Lipo, the KAN 650's beat the AAA cells hands down in performance and weigh much less than the 950's (about what the 720's do) They handle the voltage much better too.

Tim

Just the guy I was hoping to hear from Congrats on the design... it really is wonderful. I know you've got a 2S etec 1200 setup... by chance, would you have flown that with the stock 350c to compare to the 3s performance? I'd like to go 2s simply for cost reasons, but if I'm gonna be unhappy with the power, I guess I'll have to spend the money Thanks to those that replied.
dan__olson is offline Find More Posts by dan__olson
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:23 PM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
2S power with razor 300 in "C" gearbox is phenominal..i have all 2S packs and i am thrilled with the flying...
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:24 PM
Calgary Alberta Canada
Joined Sep 2003
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dan__olson
I know you've got a 2S etec 1200 setup... by chance, would you have flown that with the stock 350c to compare to the 3s performance? I'd like to go 2s simply for cost reasons, but if I'm gonna be unhappy with the power, I guess I'll have to spend the money Thanks to those that replied.
I started out with 2S ETec setup with the stock motor on a 350c, and I had more than adequate power to hover. I'm at 3500 feet here as well, so it takes more power to hover. I was very impressed, and will be using the brushed system on my backup plane.

HTH
Jim
Icebird is offline Find More Posts by Icebird
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:40 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,346 Posts
Dan, I've never flown the 2s on a 350, so I can't compare. The 3s packs work well, you just have to watch the left stick... If cost is an issue, Park Flyer Motors has the 3s Etec 1200 packs for 35 bucks. Lipos are realy coming down in price!

Tim
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:47 PM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
i got to say it..wireless rules!! sitting on the throne, posting on the net....nothing better!!!

i know..too much information..!!!
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:49 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
Let me try that with a smaller picture!
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:58 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
Dang! That didn't work right........the first post I did the picture was too big but I thought that it still was posted......what I wrote was.......
I'm getting ready to build a 3DX, I made some patterns from scrap 1/4" plywood........I'll get the foam and carbon tubes in the next couple of days...the carbon supply shop is right here in town! Has anyone ever left out the carbon tube in the fuse and stiffened the fuse with foam like a "Shock Flyer" does? That is what the above picture is all about! You could then mount the gearbox with a "X" ply or alumn mount that tapes to the front of the fuse.....real easy to sand in thrust......
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Closed Thread