HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 05, 2004, 07:28 PM
Albuquerqe, NM
Joined Mar 2002
218 Posts
LJH Ballon Rescue

LJH,
Donít laugh, get 10 helium balloons, 2 fishing rods, a big treble hook from Wal-Mart. Cut a piece fishing line about 10í longer than the airplane is stuck down in the tree, tie the hook onto the end of this, tie the other end to the balloon bundle, then tie the fishing poles to the balloon bundle, let the balloons go up higher than the tree, have some one hold one rod while you hold the other, spread the poles out so you are on opposite sides of the tree, crank the balloons down with the fishing rods until you can work the hook into the plane. Then let the line out of the rods till you clear the tree, a friend and I did this and dropped the airplane back into the tree because we where laughing so hard we did not watch what we where doing, got it on the second try. LeeU
LeeU is offline Find More Posts by LeeU
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:05 PM
RCL
RCLanding.com
Batavia, Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
461 Posts
Wow, you guys really talk a lot !
I love it!

Club 20 king,
Nice mini! I've got one cooking here that's on the small side.
I'd love to hear all the specs and flight habbits of yours!

Lee,
What you're describing here is truely a stroke of genius!! This is a great idea.
The wind has been really bad here and I'm wondering if a sinker on the line with the treble hook would help. It might take more balloons, but they're cheap enough. Might save an expensive batt pack.
Great story and idea!

I really did like the chain saw idea though <grin>. It is firewood season.
RCL is offline Find More Posts by RCL
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:15 PM
Gravity brings me down
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,232 Posts
No Officer, I didn't cut that tree down -- a plane crashed into it.
Earthbound is offline Find More Posts by Earthbound
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:21 PM
RCL
RCLanding.com
Batavia, Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
461 Posts
beavis1,

I looked up the specs on the HS 50s. Found them here, in case you haven't seen this:
http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_fs.htm
From here click on Servos, then on List All Servos. You'll get a comparison chart.

Looks like you'll save some weight and size, with a lot more speed. The torque is a little low, but here's the "extended scientific study" I did to prove they might work:
I put a battery in my plane. Keep in mind I'm using HS 55s. The I turned on the digital scale and placed it very near a couple control surfaces. Then I actuated the surfaces toward and against the scale.
...I know ...sounds like a mickey mouse contraption doesn't it?

The chart shows 8 oz of torque from these HS 50s. Keep in mind the whole plane is only 12 oz!
When putting 8 oz of torque on my scale, it seemed very strong!

Sooo, I think they will be fine. In fact, I think you may have made a great discovery. Maybe we should all be using a lighter, faster servo.

I'd sure like to know how they work for you!

Mark
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:30 PM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
458 Posts
Well I had fun flying my UB30 during the warm front but now its cold again so... time to build a YAK. I think I saw someone say that the Himax 2015-4100 should be enough to fly a 40" Yak. My question is... Whats the advantage to the 40" version? Better flight characteristic, less wing loading? Did Tim send out a 40" plan to those who purchased the Yak (I thought he said he would but I haven't seen it yet) or are people just having the plan scaled up at the print shop?
MickeyMoo is offline Find More Posts by MickeyMoo
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:50 PM
RCL
RCLanding.com
Batavia, Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
461 Posts
MickeyMoo,

I had mentioned a couple days ago that my 36" Yak (which is really about 35") came out really heavy. And after a few weeks of flying and a number of crashes / repairs, the AUW is now 14.9 oz! (Lots of glue and paint?)

Along with that statement, I added that the airplane still takes off like a rocket from a hover.

For the record, I'm using the 2015-4100, 12x6, GWS D, PH25, 3s - 1200 Etecs.

Beyond all of this, I'm not sure how the 40" will fly or handle, nor do I know how to get it (I didn't receive the plans at any point in time).

From everything above, I would have to believe you could build a 40" Yak lighter than 15 oz and it should fly pretty good on this power system. Obvously, this is just a guess!

Bummer about the cold again, huh? I'm near Cincinnati... Where are you in Ohio?

Mark
Old Jan 05, 2004, 11:08 PM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
FYI: The GWS 300 ESC works perfect on the 350 motor with a 3S LiPo for $18 from www.av8hobbies.com

They have great prices on everthing else like $25 for the GWS 4 Ch Pico RX with xtal and $14 for BMS 371 servos that are every bit as good, if not better than HS55. The GWS 350 with D gearbox is $17. Free shipping on orders over $25. Three of us ordered 3 sets of parts for the 3DX.

Victor
vkmaynard is offline Find More Posts by vkmaynard
Old Jan 05, 2004, 11:29 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
LJH,
I once got a SoarStar stuck in a tree at the local park. Had the wife bring by a frisbee and all of our baseballs. It was too high up for me to hit with a hardball, but a couple of guys wandered by to look, and one of them used to pitch on his JC team. It took about 100 throws (and 20 impacts) before the damn thing would come down. 15 pieces fell to the ground; every possible piece was broken. The guy throwing the balls looked at me like I was a nut when I estatically thanked him. Probably over $100 worth of gear came down with that plane.

The best part; 3 hours later (and a lot of epoxy) I had it up in the air again. Gotta love foam.

How about 5 pieces of 1" PVC sprinkler pipe? Get the ones that're 10' long, and also get 4 slip joints. Tape it all together and do the hokey-pokey. When its all done, remove the tape, and take it back to Home Depot for a refund. Or even better, keep it around for the next time you accidently qualify for an endurance record.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Jan 06, 2004, 01:32 AM
WA
Joined Jan 2004
132 Posts
im new to rc planes--about 6 months in--and tims 3dx was the second plane i ever flew and the first plane i ever built. I was self taught with a aerobird. That got boring real quick. I saw tims 3dx vid and had to have one. Not having a clue what to do i just dove in. Started with the stock gws brushed motor and nickle medal. That lasted about 3 flights---way under powered for me---again im a rookie so i may not know what underpowered is. all i know is i wanted to go vertical untill i couldnt see it any more. So this is what i did and it is more than i could ask for.

Himax 2015-5300

1200 e-tech 3s

pheonix 25

11x8 master air screw --wood electric prop

This setup is incredible! I cant wait to get the 2200 Tanic 3s--should improve flight times and ill be able to be a little more throttle happy---i kind of take it easy with the e-techs. If im full throttle for much more than 3-5 min ---constant-- the pack starts to warm up. Not that you ever need full throttle for that long.

Anyway the main reason for this reply it to tell everyone about a site that i found. They accually are local for me WA/seattle area. Ive met the owner and hes a great guy. His name is jeff small. e-flightline.com is the site and they have a great lelection of brushless setups. And the best thing EVERYTHING IS IN STOCK!
Amazing i know but its true. Alll the himax motors and mega. Castle creation controlers and Tanic LI-POs. The best thing is that he sells them in combos too. So you can get the motor gearbox and controler all asembled ready to go--just slide it on the stick mount. He also upgrades the gws crapy prop shaft to a solid custom super strong steel shaft that accepts a prop adapter so you can use apc or master air screw props. I got my setup from them and was up and running is 5 mins.

I realize it sound like im tring to hype up some online co. but im not. its a killer site. Jeff also has videos of some of the setups in gws planes, talk about power.

So check it out e-flightline.com

By the way Tim if your reading this I dont know how i can thank you enough what you have done for all of us is priceless.

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
davejfred23 is offline Find More Posts by davejfred23
Old Jan 06, 2004, 07:17 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Tolladay,
Already tried the PVC thing, just not rigid enough. It is a bright dry day today and the temps are going to plumet tonight so the cherry picker should be able to get on the field. The breeze is also going to come up today from the North West (just the direction I think I need) so maybe that will do the trick.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:48 AM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RCL
MickeyMoo,

For the record, I'm using the 2015-4100, 12x6, GWS D, PH25, 3s - 1200 Etecs.

Beyond all of this, I'm not sure how the 40" will fly or handle, nor do I know how to get it (I didn't receive the plans at any point in time).

From everything above, I would have to believe you could build a 40" Yak lighter than 15 oz and it should fly pretty good on this power system. Obvously, this is just a guess!

Bummer about the cold again, huh? I'm near Cincinnati... Where are you in Ohio?

Mark
RCL,
I'm using the same setup you have. I think I'll give the 40" a try. My brother should be able to scale it up and print the plan at work.
I'm near Marion. Southern Ohio is in a slightly different climate zone. Your leaves usually pop out about 3 weeks before they do up here. But hey! I think we're both in better shape than those Norwegian boys a few pages back. That was an impressive video! The models and flying were nice too
Old Jan 06, 2004, 11:00 AM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
MickyMoo, I sent you a PM. Send me an email and I'll get the 40" plans to you.

Tim
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Last edited by Tim H.; Jan 06, 2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2004, 11:02 AM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
davejfred - Glad you are having fun and I'm glad I could help out!

LJH - Bummer about the Yak... You definately have the record! I like the balloon idea. Sounds like it would be as much fun as flying...

Tim
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Jan 06, 2004, 12:17 PM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LJH
Tolladay,
Already tried the PVC thing, just not rigid enough. It is a bright dry day today and the temps are going to plumet tonight so the cherry picker should be able to get on the field. The breeze is also going to come up today from the North West (just the direction I think I need) so maybe that will do the trick.

Cheers,
Jim
Several years ago I was putting Christmas lights on a 30' pine (45' now - gave it up) and went to Lowes to see what I could find. Found plastic and PVC conduit in the electical area but also thought it was not rigid enough. I did buy 3 steel conduits. Each is is slightly smaller than the first so they would telescope together. I used duct tape to keep them from telescoping together (use about 18-24" overlap). Three of these 10 foot poles is very hard to handle. Im 6'2" 190lb and its like wrestling a bear. Howerver I have the smaller 2 out in the yard to fetch the planes out of smaller trees and lower branches. Use it a lot for the IFO's. Dang hoop in the front loves to catch a branch. I use two old props on the end of the pole to make a fork (perfect for picking the IFO hoop.) Anyways just an idea for those getting stuck in trees at around the 20' mark
Old Jan 06, 2004, 12:59 PM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
Tim..you coming Friday nite to the indoor thing? i will have my ub30 there...
birdie_in_texas is offline Find More Posts by birdie_in_texas
Closed Thread