SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:28 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,859 Posts
Extending the spar out to the tip is a good idea. I always do. But the challenge with the sexy dropped back winglet is that it is attaching to the skinny portion of the air foil. There's just not much meat there. Of course it can be done with clever use of carbon, it just not in the quick build category.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:25 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
I too would like to build a winglet as you have shown, but finding adequate structure for this configuration is a tough task.

I'd be interested in see how you plan on building this.

Kent
Would it work if you made the wingtip and winglet as one structure outboard of the hinge line.That would give you the full depth of the foil for a couple of pins to plug in and maybe use a light nylon bolt to secure it?
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:48 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,859 Posts
Or better yet, a one piece wing with carbon wrapped spruce or balsa wing tip and winglet. Carbon tow an be laid in a variety of criss/cross patterns to tie together and build up structures.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11