HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:26 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
961 Posts
Discussion
lipo's & spontoneous combustion

alrighty then! lets hear some stories and perhaps..............dare I request it, some good advice!!!

Best I heard lately was on RC Groups (I will find it and post a link) about someone receiving some lipo batts and as received, one of the cells in one of the lipos was starting to heat up while still in the unopened box! It did not go nuclear but, one of the cells lost voltage and the pack is not really usable any more!

Michael
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:28 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,495 Posts
never had an issue that wasnt my own doing most dropping one

and most i have heard of are the same way ether miss handled or where not charged right
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:28 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,557 Posts
They don't self combust! Unless they have been misused.

If they were prone to self combustion they would not be shipping them in planes, trains, boats or trucks. Or, Hobby shops would not be storing them in their shops.

Sure your going to get a bunch of stories about "How my lipo suddenly exploded and all it was doing was just sitting there. And I didn't do anything to it".

If they were as dangerous as everyone makes them out to be they would be outlawing them. Maybe the feds will attach lipos to the gun control package.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:00 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,747 Posts
How does he know it was overheating if the box was unopened The box may have been stored in a warm environment for a while.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:22 AM
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
How does he know it was overheating if the box was unopened The box may have been stored in a warm environment for a while.

Gord.
Ok Gord, I am stumped! I have been searching and just cannot find it. Details as I remember are, Lipo batteries (more than one pack) delived on a cold day, 2 degress C, packed in a cardboard box. Upon opening the box only one of the lipo packs was warm and it was around 40 degrees C (104 F). One cell measured 3.8x volts while the other or others were in the 3.9x volts range. The battery was monitored and over time the cell that measured 3.8x volts just kept dropping and dropping. No fire or explosion.

Michael
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:28 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post

Gord.
According to Erwin Schrödinger it is neither overheating or cold until you open the box
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:55 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
According to Erwin Schrödinger it is neither overheating or cold until you open the box
Only in the absence of any observer in the box. Put a cat in the box and you'd know.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:15 AM
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
961 Posts
At the risk of "info overload", this link has a lot of info:

http://www.mpoweruk.com/failure_modes.htm

With the equipment (or lack of) that some of us have, it is sometimes hard to tell a good battery from a bad one until the bad battery goes bad!

Michael
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,108 Posts
Do you fish on the web by trolling ?
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:26 AM
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
961 Posts
At the bottom of the above link is another link titled "Lithium Battery Failures". I have listed it below to save a lot of dry reading!

http://www.mpoweruk.com/lithium_failures.htm

Michael
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:28 AM
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Do you fish on the web by trolling ?
Looking forward to more of your wonderful and super helpful input!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:30 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
In my 7 yrs of flying; I've never seen a lipo go off spontaneously.

I've even tried hard to test how far before a lipo goes off in flames...

I've purposely whacked a lipo, dropped it till the corners are circles, hammered it, and even put a nail through it; and yet no fire.

the only time I was successful at causing some smoke was the nail through it, and overcharging till it ballooned and burst- but even then no fire.

Only time I was successful at actually seeing it burst into a fire was sticking the lipo in hot coal

Guys; pls do not attempt. This was my experiments seeing how far a Lipo can go before it burst into flames. As stated before none of the methods actually caused a fire other than throwing it in hot coals.

if someone finds this vid objectionable, pm me and I'll remove.

Lipo Battery VS. Red HOT BBQ pit (2 min 9 sec)
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:35 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
My understanding is the only way a lipo would suffer "spontaneous combustion" without external forces would be due to a manufacturing defect that would probably doom it before it even got to you.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:53 AM
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
961 Posts
Nice video rcalldaylong!
I agree with you GB. I would add that excess heat is problem with lipo's and a properly manufactured lipo exposed to excessive heat may have a problem that will only show itself with use.

That might lead to the question of "How much checking do I need to do prior to trusting my new lipo?" Not to mention, how much equipment do I need to check my new lipo?

Having built and flown electric planes since the early 1990's, I still love what the lipo's enable my aircraft to do however, I try my best to determine the condition of my lipo's and any questionable ones are quickly disposed of.

Michael
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,912 Posts
Here are a few reports from guys who had unexplained fires.
There are more but this gives you an idea that "It can happen".

Quote:
"Had been (past tense) storing my lipos in a ceramic tub-no lid. Luckily I was home and went into "airplane" room and found one of the lipos was on fire, on the carpet, and was able to prevent damage or far worse. AND I WAS NOT CHARGING THEM. Since that incident, I store them in metal ammo box (drill 2 holes about 1/4 inch diameter for venting) and in lipo bags. Charging is in the lipo bag. To this day, do not know why the battery just went "crazy". Hope this incident may be helpful to someone: charge (don't leave room) and store in some type of fireproof container. bdel"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post23648998
Quote:
"WOW had a call from my partner whiles at work about my opti power lipo blow up, and the thing is its wasn't even on charge so am a bit confuse to y this happen, I did notice that they were starting to puff and funny enough i did rang opti power yesterday regarding the battery puffing and they said to send them back and now this happen today, but the most thing I was happy about is that she was at home other wise I could have lost" http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/main-d...tml#post877508
Quote:
"A mate at our club this evening had a luck escape, a brand new Turnegy 5000 went up in his kitchen! no apperant reason (not on charge), he managed to get it out in time but i guess a bit of a freak out for his wife, little'un and himself. so remember lipos realy can burn the house down be carefull folks!"
http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/main-d...tml#post831920
Quote:
"Bought a couple of ThunderPower G6 1800 3s's and ran one in my parkzone mustang today for about 5 minutes (timer )of balanced flying. Packed the plane up took the battery out and put it back into a zip lock bag... One of the cells exploded while carrying it back to the car? For a brand new pack that had been discharged and balanced im pretty amazed?"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1136
Quote:
"Bro's just had a very close call, A brand new battery never crashed a 2S 480 mAh was just sitting there it was not used or charged on this day.. I was up stairs and heard a loud pop, I go down stairs only to find the lil' battery spewing grew smoke & spinning then it blew up ! Big flames. It almost cost me MY HOUSE, this darn lil' battery all by itself did this, I have learned my lesson all batteries are now stored on ammo cans, DO NOT STORE LIPOS, in the open !!!!!!!!!!!! Look what happened to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It managed to burn the wall, carpet,and tile.......Never again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1098
Quote:
"After flying this morning I was doing some repairs and all of a sudden i heard a pop and smoke started pouring out of a Flightmax 3s 1300. I had not flown that pack. I just brought it home unflown. It was just sitting in the concrete block I store it in. I have a bucket of sand on hand that I dumped into the block and put its concrete top on. Smoked like crazy. Stunk up the cellar. There was another 1300 in the same block. The voltage on that measures fine but I don't know if the heat from the venting pack up against it might have damaged it? Now I am a little wary of my batteries. I treat them well. Have only charged them at 1C and do not abuse them. I recently balanced the pack. That was a small 1300. I recently got 6s 5000's".
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...85&postcount=1
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy