HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:33 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
I maidened my 20% Waco last weekend and got a little takeoff practice. The first one I had too much up elevator and when I gave it the throttle it was in the air in about a 2 feet of runway. I did have to add expo on all the controls as it was real jerky. What is common for expo that most are using. I had it at 30 and bumped it up to 40
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:21 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Right rudder, right rudder. tail draggers all.
Good point - unless there is a sufficiently strong crosswind blowing on the right side of the airplane. That may require neutral or even left rudder.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:19 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
I maidened my 20% Waco last weekend and got a little takeoff practice. The first one I had too much up elevator and when I gave it the throttle it was in the air in about a 2 feet of runway. I did have to add expo on all the controls as it was real jerky. What is common for expo that most are using. I had it at 30 and bumped it up to 40
Too much expo is worse than no expo at all. In fact no expo is direct control. Sweet if you can handle it. 10% expo means the first 10% of your stick movement will be mussy and ineffective. 30% expo means you have to push the stick about 1/3 of it's total throw to get anything to begin to happen...This leads to over reacting or stabbing at the throws because noting ids happening then suddenly you are into the working 2/3 of the stick where nearly 100% of the action takes place in a compressed amount of throw. Try to wean yourself off this stuff use 10-20% max and reduce it as you go along.. A little can help some but too much is deadly.
I'm weaning myself off the expo, my buddy calls this weaning the methadone program. I use a little less all the time.

Here's another idea.... practice taxi-ing without take off. A few trips up and down the runway should give you a feel for how to keep her straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosbeak View Post
Good point - unless there is a sufficiently strong crosswind blowing on the right side of the airplane. That may require neutral or even left rudder.
Good point grosbeak. Further advice might be 'if there is significant cross winds pack it up and practice another day'
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Mar 01, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cognito, Ergo Imbibo
Morgan Hill, CA
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
Well...most of my airplanes are taildraggers. I hold up elevator when I'm taxiing around, but I relax that to neutral when I get on the runway and I'm ready to take off.

Any airplane with a clockwise turning prop (as viewed from the cockpit) will pull to the left. It's easy to get behind the curve if you add rudder after you see it starting to turn left. One way to deal with this until you get the hang of a particular airplane is to start out with the airplane a little left of the runway center line, and point it towards the right corner of the runway. The left pull is more pronounced when the airplane is slow, so once it picks up speed, the rudder and vertical stabilizer should overcome the pull and it'll track straight. That's why you need to really pay attention to the airplane...if you have a ton of right rudder in and the airplane starts to want to track straight, you'll run it off the right side of the runway....so aim it to the right and let it pull left...then try to just put in a little rudder if it is really tracking back towards the other guys on the flight line (they always hate that!!). You'll be fine!!
old_dan is offline Find More Posts by old_dan
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:29 PM
United States, NM, Holloman AFB
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
Just go WOT and make control inputs from there, don't be scared.
F16DCC is offline Find More Posts by F16DCC
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:25 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I have a few tail dragger, all just rize up as nice as you please. I was terrified to fly my Goldberg Superchippie but it takes off nice nd even. The one tail dragger I had that gave me so many fits I finally sold the beast was a very nice Bridi telemaster. That thing was horrible to get off the ground straight, I was always a bundle of nerves when I finally got it up. I finally sold it and good riddence.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Last edited by cherokeenut; Mar 02, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:01 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
894 Posts
I flew tail draggers for years and then restored an ancient VK Nieuport 17 and takeoff was almost impossible even though I had a lot of practice. The technique in the old days was to just give it a lot of power and blast off quick. But it looks terrible for a scale model like that, and my engine didn't have that kind of power anyway. I get one takeoff for every six I abort.

I plan to install a gyro this season. You aren't actually in the cockpit so you can't detect the beginning of a slight turn as well as a full scale pilot can, plus things happen much faster with our models. I will make no apology for using a gyro if it gets my scale model off in scale-like fashion.

Jim
buzzard bait is online now Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:18 PM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
313 Posts
I have all taildraggers in my fleet. Some handle MUCH better than others. I have one with the gyro, and am glad I have it and feel no shame using it. For anything that needs a bunch of runway (or looks better/scale), the 13 dollar hobby king gyro does the trick. For my planes without gyro, I set low rates, if you need more rudder than that either A) serious alignment/tracking issues or the crosswind is way to strong and a person should fly another day! That's just my experience. I know if I ever get a sizeable warbird, a gyro will at least be installed !
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:06 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
950 Posts
It depends on the plane, and what you're taking off of.
Some planes track true, and some pull a bit left. Any plane will want to weathervane, not just tail draggers. Some planes are squirelly if you hit the throttle a lot, and some will track wonderfully. Grass tends to keep the tail wheel behind the plane more than flat surfaces.

Go out to a runway, and practice taxiing. Learn how to steer your plane without getting up flying speed. You will soon discover how to control it (or that you can't).
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:14 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,382 Posts
"It really depends on the model too. I have a few taildraggers that go pretty straight with little rudder input needed. "

A lot depends on the distance between the wheels. My Goldberg Chipmunk was very simple to handle, my SE-5 was not.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:26 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,068 Posts
And Pitch.
Increasing the blade pitch increases the P factor, My little foam P47 is a sweetheart with a 7 or 8 pitch on her but increase that to 10 and you got a handful of left pull to counter....
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4