SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:23 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,340 Posts
Discussion
CG on Flite Streak?

My Flite Streak seems a bit nose heavy to me.

I purchased is used, from a friend, and don't have the plans (he did a very nice job on building it).

Anyone know where the CG should be?

Thank you all in advance!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:43 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,307 Posts
Flite Streaks have their CG centered on the wing spar.

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,340 Posts
Wow!

Thank you very much, that was incredibly quick!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,202 Posts
According to George Aldrich's plans, and my experience, the big Flite Streak should balance right behind the leading edge wood. The on the spar placement shown on Top Flite kit plans is wrong, in my opinion, and I would not attempt to fly a Flite Streak balanced that far back. Because you are getting conflicting advice, I would suggest you first fly with the CG forward, then move it back if you think it needs it. Mine, balanced just at the rear of the wood (Brodak kit, Aldrich plans) flies a very nice stunt pattern with an ST G23.

Remember, a nose heavy airplane can be retrimmed. A tail heavy airplane may not be repairable.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:40 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG97322 View Post
Flite Streaks have their CG centered on the wing spar.

George
The plane was designed as, and sold for, the role of Combat Trainer. For that use, the small three-view on the original TF instruction sheet showed a CG right at the front edge of the kit's spar. The original plan didn't show a CG when George gave me a copy of it, and I never asked, because I was quite familiar with the "touchy" responsiveness of a Streak hauling the freight at 80 mph and upward.

George used a pair of brand new Fox Combat Specials when he first built them (he built two, together). These were the early, plain bearing version that shared mounting patterns with the Stunt 35 (he thought that they were the Black Heads, but those came out after he took the pair to the Nats that year, so they either were pre-production, or were the older Series 1 type).

A few years later, I put a Fox 25 (3-bolt backplate) on a Streak, and had to add about an ounce of nose weight to fly it slowly, since it was bouncing all over the sky at the slightest touch of control. My final spot was approximately 1 1/2 inches from the face of the leading edge.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Feb 26, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,340 Posts
Thank you all!

I will sneak up on the CG.

Mine is so nose heavy that an "Up" elevator command, in normal flight, scarcely disturbs the flight path. It does have quite a bit of elevator throw.

Looping it or performing a wingover, with the CG in the current location, is not even a possibility.

I also just installed a weight box in the wing tip, as it seems to be banked in a little bit towards me, when I get it up to 30-40 degrees above level.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:59 AM
NOT SCREWED UP
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Thank you all!

Mine is so nose heavy that an "Up" elevator command, in normal flight, scarcely disturbs the flight path. It does have quite a bit of elevator throw.

Looping it or performing a wingover, with the CG in the current location, is not even a possibility.

I also just installed a weight box in the wing tip, as it seems to be banked in a little bit towards me, when I get it up to 30-40 degrees above level.
Sounds like its very nose heavy. !
I first flew my FS on OS 25FP in a tail heavy configuration and it was absolutely mental.! by some miracle i managed to land it and reduced tail weight. The FS is very sensitive to CG and when correct they are a lot of fun and very maneuverable.

Alf
alf.g is offline Find More Posts by alf.g
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:33 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Thank you all!

Wow. I didnt think you could get a Flite Streak that nose heavy. The instructions on my ARF FS said to put the CG right behind the spar. Thats nuts! I fly F2D and dont think I could fly a FS with the CG there. I have mine about 3/4 of an inch in front of the spar and love the way it flies. I moved the pushrod to the inside hole on the bell crank also. It's stable as a rock and yet combat-able if you choose to.
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears