HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:35 AM
nic
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Oct 2012
80 Posts
Whoops!
We all crash sooner or later.

Its true,we all going to crash a model sooner or later,it might be that we did not set up our models properly,or we still learning,whatever the case is,let's share our crashing experiences and show some pictures.
Not so long ago I had just got my tango 40 from hangar 9 and got really excited to fly it,so excited that I did not check CG,turns out the plane was one extremely tail heavy bird and the flight did not end well.Funny thing is I always remind my girlfriend to check her CG because she always forgets.Hmm sounds familiar now.
nicrc is offline Find More Posts by nicrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:23 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,404 Posts
I hope she's not tail-heavy!

BTW, don't you mean "sooner AND later"

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:31 AM
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Feb 2013
408 Posts
I think crashing is all part of the fun. If you didnt crash you wouldn't get that rush right when you take off.
cessna20122013 is offline Find More Posts by cessna20122013
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:32 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,327 Posts
Quote:
...let's share our crashing experiences and show some pictures.
That's what the Crash Discussion forum is for.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:35 AM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,260 Posts
I crash sooner and later, gonna do it again today..........
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:20 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,748 Posts
unless you have a hangar queen
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:35 AM
nic
Joined Oct 2012
80 Posts
Its like a lot of people say,you will never get over your fear of crashing until you actually crash,plus I learnt a very valuable lesson...check your CG!!!
Mark Wood I over looked that discussion and I'm gonna move mine there.
Nic.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:32 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Last year when I re-entered rc flying, I was training on a foam knock up of the Electro Streak, you can find the plans in the Scratchbuild Foamies section it's called ElectroFFFreak.

I entered a bank turn with a tailwind and had throttled back when I brought it back into the wind it was under powered and tip stalled on me from 200 feet. I couldn't recover it.

All planes have an expiration date, some just reach it sooner.

Before crash

After
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:24 PM
nic
Joined Oct 2012
80 Posts
The other day I was flying my escapade 40 with my electric conversion,I didn't realise that the throttle trim wasn't set properly so basically I wasn't getting my full power,I felt the plane being a little sluggish but didn't think much of it,I turned in for final approach and at the same time I throttled back,turned into the wind and my wing also tip stalled,luck would have it,I got it out of it and put it down safely,not a crash but pretty close to one.Its things like that,that teach us to to re check everything before take off.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:06 PM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
150 Posts
Crash and burn... Dynam Hawk Sky

More than once...

Always put her back together with Gorilla glue and ShureTape.
oic is offline Find More Posts by oic
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:14 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,506 Posts
This is what happens when you exceed the maximum speed of an aircraft (ripped the wings off in a dive).

road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:01 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
594 Posts
Those are some gut-wrenching photos.

That's why I fly mostly scratch-built or kit flat foamies made of EPP foam. They weigh between 6oz and 12oz and are damn near indestructible. I had one that power dived straight into concrete slamming at full throttle from high altitude and it just... bounced. The bounce was literally 20 or 24 inches back into the air rebounding off the concrete. I approached expecting to find nothing but foam confetti but there was no visible damage. I replaced the cracked $1.50 prop, inspected the battery (which had jettisoned but was fine), attached a new battery just to be safe, checked the control surfaces and threw it in the air again less than a minute later.

I highly recommend this approach for stress-free flying happiness. I can constantly crash and still have tons of fun. I don't have any cool crash pictures because none of my damage is noteworthy enough to take a picture of. I almost never have damage that can't be fixed in a few minutes with glue (to keep flying in the field, I do temp repairs with T-pins and/or tape and do the glue when I get back to the hangar). Since EPP foam tears instead of shatters, these glue repairs typically take less time than plugging in the batteries to recharge and are usually invisible. I also try to stick to my $100 rule. I never put more than $100 into a plane beyond the standard parts that can be recycled into another plane when I'm done with it.That generally means I have under $200 total invested in any plane and can recover most of that for a new plane in the event of a catastrophic crash. It's not that I don't have the money to spend more, I do it to reduce stress and preserve happiness. Even if I were a zillionaire, I'd still be cranky if I cratered over a hundred bucks due to dumb thumbs.

While I'm a proponent of "build'em to fly, not to crash" (a philosophy which states adding structural reinforcement to increase crash survivability usually yields diminishing returns due to increased damage from greater mass), I do recommend using the miraculous Theraband prop saver rings. You can make over 500 for $9 and each one lasts a looong time (search RCG for details). I also suggest using breakaway motor mounts on flat foamies. This adds virtually no weight and decreases mass in a crash because the motor ejects. My favorite method is hot gluing a stick mount to an expired gift card that has been securely glued to the foam. In a hard crash the hot glue snaps away from the plastic gift card and the motor mount cleanly separates from the plane, usually sparing both from damage. I also try to attach the battery in such a way that it can cleanly separate in a hard crash. Those are your two heaviest damage sources in a crash. It's a good idea for the same reason it's less safe to ride in a car with anyone not wearing their seat belt, even if you're wearing yours. In a violent car crash, the unbelted passenger turns into a high-velocity projectile.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Last edited by Markran; Feb 26, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:52 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
379 Posts
I never crash... I just have unexpected meetings with the ground... and trees... and fences... and starting tables... Don't tell my club safety officer.
btown2 is online now Find More Posts by btown2
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:36 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,023 Posts
Awww, those aint NUTHIN!

People these days...Can't even crash right
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:30 AM
nic
Joined Oct 2012
80 Posts
Oic,dam poor hawk sky,I better not show that picture to the future sister in law,she just got hers...markran you make a pretty good point and I totally agree with you,iv always wanted those foamies and everytime I go out to buy one...something else...cathes my eye...amd I end up buying it...btown 2,those dam things seem to be popping out of nowhere all the time...endlesslag,ok it looks like...I don't know what it looks like what the hell happened?