HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:58 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1 View Post
Gliders or sailplanes?

Here's how I store the large sailplanes.
holy crap!!!

i want a man cave like that one!

mine are tucked away in cupboards or behind mirrors in custom bags. but you can see a plane in most rooms of my house.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:41 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,435 Posts
tip

Hey,
I bet everyone knows this but it is very important that whatever you use be truely FLAT. The best way I know to get a wing warp is storing on non parallel surfaces such as hand drilled dowel rods in 2x4s.....OK I'm busted I did do that ...once many years ago
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:47 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
my wingsa are stored on their ends! no warps. all good. lol
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:27 AM
United States, CA, Santa Margarita
Joined Dec 2007
179 Posts
Works for me

Depending on weight and construction strengths....................the smaller/lighter ones have done well for me hanging by their stabilizers on dowels wrapped with pipe insulation. The larger ones do better standing on their nose, usually in a hole lined with pipe insulation. Wings I either keep on the fuselage as they stand/hang, or vertically on their roots. Very interesting seeing the other storage methods, and also the flying creations in/on them. Some good ideas for sure.
simmler is offline Find More Posts by simmler
Last edited by simmler; May 18, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:59 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCanuck View Post
I hang most fuselages and wings on straps using hooks and some cheap fabric straps.
Wings are hung L.E. down.
The heavy scale fuselages are kept in cradles. Most stuff in bubble wrap "bags".
Some are kept in storage "bags" attached to a broom-stick handle for easier transport to the field.

Everything neatly stores on shelves in my "storage room".
yea, I've got too many, but then again...
I LOVE it when the shelves are custom built to fit the exact dimentions of the models. (-:
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:13 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
377 Posts
Having asked this question in the first place, its time to show whats been done.

Some fantastic set ups have been shown and if my planes could have there own hanger then they look like an ideal sulution, however my fleet has to share the garage with all the clutter that goes in a family garage. Mind you the cars never get a look in!

So out with anything that has not flown in ages, all banished to the loft. Several new shelves for storage above and below. Bags still need to be made to keep the dust off some of them.

Pictures show the original state of things and where its at now.
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:30 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,481 Posts
The bigger they are the bigger the room needed.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Mar 08, 2014, 12:54 PM
Shoreline, WA
Joined May 2004
348 Posts
My Sailplane Storage

This solution is similar or identical to a previous post. The tracks and supports are intended for shelves and were bought at the Home Depot. They come in single and double versions. For my models, the single version was more than adequate. The tracks come in white or galvanized, the galvanized are a little cheaper. The shelf supports come in a range of lengths: 8”, 10”, 12” and 16”. The 8”length proved more than suitable for my models so that’s what I used. I was a little concerned about having wings and fuselages resting on a single vertical piece of metal. The solution to cushion the shelf support was a few aisles away and it’s called Polyethelyne Foam Pipe Insulation. This is a soft foam tube, slit on the bottom and it cuts easily with a blade or a bread knife. Simply cut to length and slide over the shelf support.
LSF226 is online now Find More Posts by LSF226