Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:06 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Yeap, if I were to build a V22, this is exactly how I would handle the transitioning mechanics. Good Job.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:30 PM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Yeap, if I were to build a V22, this is exactly how I would handle the transitioning mechanics. Good Job.
Thanks! I tried to figure out how to do it with just 2 servos. I couldn't figure out a good way. I may add a fourth micro servo for elevator if necessary for pitch in forward flight.
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Well, I never stated it publicly but I was going to do the very say with my next build. As I stated, I never had the intention of full transitioning with Molliie VTOL but version II, yes. I take development in steps, learned that the hard way. When trying to do too many innovative things in one build makes it to complicated and hard to debug. Anyway, good job.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
P.S. Unless the Flight Controller is a STM32 or ATMEGA2560 (1280) using the 16bit timers, the FC do not have the resolution to do the full transition and have the precision required for the types of stationary hovering I enjoy.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:48 AM
Will fly for food
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
P.S. Unless the Flight Controller is a STM32 or ATMEGA2560 (1280) using the 16bit timers, the FC do not have the resolution to do the full transition and have the precision required for the types of stationary hovering I enjoy.
I'm probably using a 70MHz LPC1343 that has a Cortex M-3 32bit. The pwm timers are 32 bit, and it has plenty of power for some complicated mixing. My next autopilot that is in the works will use an LPC1759 or 1769, which clocks at 120MHz. I already did a revision, but I had the serial ports/gyros wired incorrectly. Next time...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:24 AM
Will fly for food
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Finally had some more time to work on my creation. Got the electronics mounted - roughly. Just wanted to make sure everything would work. I think once it does, I will redo the main frame out of 2" pink foam and save some weight, allow for wings, and cleaner wire routing. Also, the skids I have weigh almost 100g. I'll try to find a way to get rid of them. Lastly, thinking about replacing the main spar with wood or carbon fiber to reduce weight and dropping in a smaller servo to rotate the whole assembly.

I've tweaked my autopilot to allow arming the the thing with the throttle. That also allows for the gyros to be zeroed after it is armed, when I choose.

Just need to get some loctite on some of the parts, throw on the props, and it is ready to tune for flight.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:25 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,097 Posts
Looking good. Will your board have an accel on it?
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:24 AM
Will fly for food
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Looking good. Will your board have an accel on it?
No, when I built the board I was working on a more complicated autopilot with mag, accel, gyro, pressure, etc, but decided I wanted to get something working asap. So, I threw this together as fast as I could. I think it is time to do a quick redesign with an accel because I really want to be able to autolevel.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:51 AM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,101 Posts
Speaking of controllers .. I am vacationing at my son in laws and he showed me this board from arduino ... and it looks really great .. rth and auto take off and landing too ... 5 way points ... looks great and only 159 . 00 without gps and 197.00 with gps !!!!!

I have to many controllers now ... but would like to see how close this comes to working like DJI 's M unit ... any one have any experience with this ??

http://store.scoutuav.com/product/br...ht-controller/
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Last edited by v22chap; Mar 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:21 AM
Will fly for food
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
Speaking of controllers .. I am vacationing at my son in laws and he showed me this board from arduino ... and it looks really great .. rth and auto take off and landing too ... 5 way points ... looks great and only 159 . 00 without gps and 197.00 with gps !!!!!

I have to many controllers now ... but would like to see how close this comes to working like DJI 's M unit ... any one have any experience with this ??

http://store.scoutuav.com/product/br...ht-controller/
As a computer engineer, I always see $159 and think, "I could build that for $20!" even though it would probably actually cost me $100 and many hours of labor. So, the only other experience I have with non-self built autopilots is Kestrel.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:17 PM
Joined Jan 2003
3,101 Posts
Quote:
As a computer engineer, I always see $159 and think, "I could build that for $20!" even though it would probably actually cost me $100 and many hours of labor. So
I know how that goes .. I look at something mechanical and think i could build that cheaper .. try and end up spending more money and time than if I would have just bought the product to start out with .
The Krestrel looks like a nice board a little big and pricey though (5000.00 ).

But it does have everything in it .. osd , 5 way points, virtual cockpit ,data logging by wireless telemetry ... and much , much more .. that I don't quite undestand . But what would you expect from Lockheed Martin company

probably about the same thing as what we were just talking about .. oh I could build that from shelf stuff ..but would end up costing the same or more and not workable .

From what I could read the Krestrel is a point and play unit ... no way to open the program and redo the program with sketch type C programing ???

That is what I like about this new arduino board .. cheap and programable . Although not easily
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:36 PM
Will fly for food
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
I in no way endorse the Kestrel. I actually worked with a professor that helped start the company. It has some strong points, such as a Kalman filter, but I think that the arduino board is probably just as good. Or at least has the potential to be.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Jan 2003
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Or at least has the potential to be.
And I think you are right here ... as there are many valuable things being implemented by a large variety of people ..which sooner or later will make it a great board .
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:40 PM
Will fly for food
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Shoot, I knew the numbers were too good to be true on those hextronix 24g motors. With the 8x4 SF props, the motors were way too hot.

The aircraft looks like it will work great, though, once I resolve the motors issue. Lets see if the wife will let me spring for some different motors!

UPDATE:

Oops, the props are 8x4.5SF which make the Hextronik 24g motors burn. I think that the reviews for them use GWS 8040DD props, which are a significant drop.
Last edited by ilektron; Mar 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:52 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,097 Posts
Should be ok if you cut them down to 8 inch. Mine are swinging a heavy 8 inch three bladed DD prop, 9" that were cut down to 8, so the strain should be about the same if your plane is around the 500 gram mark.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!