SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:46 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,116 Posts
Discussion
Need help with Life

HI Guys, I need help with a life battery set up. I have chosen the Redwing 2100mah 2s (seen here > http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...products_id=42 )
It has 3 leads. A Deans plug. A JR type plug with just 2 leads in it. and a balance port lead.
It charges up on my 4 station shop charger using the balance lead and Deans lead. However I want to mount it in the plane and use an external charge port with JR type lug.
This will mean charging without the balance lead connected. I have read conflicting reports.
Will this battery be okay just charging and drawing off of the JR plug?
The battery is way over sized and the plane has only 5 Futaba S3004 servos and glow motor.
Thanks in advance for your input on the Life batteries, this is my first.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:38 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
It will be fine using the JR plug in your installation but the jury is still out on how often a balance charge should be performed. You might wish to obtain some 2S balance extensions and add one to the installation to make the balance port accessible for a monthly balance charge.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:01 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,898 Posts
I balance charge all the time. I simply use an extension for the balance plug. The RX servo JR plug works fine with a On/Off switch. So I can charge externally no problem.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:34 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,187 Posts
I have used 2 cell LiIon for a few years now and don't balance no problems...I maybe wrong but balance seems like a bit over kill on a 2 cell pack
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:58 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
I have used 2 cell LiIon for a few years now and don't balance no problems...I maybe wrong but balance seems like a bit over kill on a 2 cell pack
While I religiously balance charge my lipos (3-5s) I cannot balance the Nicad or NiMH in my other gas planes and they seem okay.......
I have read that 2 cells can't get that far apart given the relatively low discharge rates involved. 3.3 full to 2.5v max discharge ever.
I suppose I could do a maintenance balance charge with the wing off once a month? I tend to leave these 50 size planes assembled.
What about the battery break-in question? I read the first 20 cycles should not discharge the cells below 3.2v or the cells may not reach their full potential.
6.6 to 6.4v discharge?

What is a the suggested discharge limit after break-in?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:03 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I balance charge all the time. I simply use an extension for the balance plug. The RX servo JR plug works fine with a On/Off switch. So I can charge externally no problem.
Do you just leave a pigtail hanging out or is there a receptacle for the balance plug? Thank you for your input. I know a balanced charge may be a safer bet but, I'm not sure it is needed.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:15 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
I'm glad you had a ? on batteries and not the Facts of Life. lol I got 2 lion batteries from troybuilt models and they say its ok to charge without the balance but suggested doing a balance charge once in a while. I put a hatch on the bottom and the battery slides out the bottom
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:09 PM
Dana, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
557 Posts
This is a charge lead that will balance charge through a JR charge port, you would have to do a little wiring to get it set up and would not be able to use the JR bind function when modifications are done to the port. http://www.electrodynam.com/store/product295.html
The signal wire is used as the third balance connection at the JR plug and if the switch has thee wire to the Rx the signal wire to Rx has to be cut to prevent sending voltage to the signal side. When making up the charge lead the power wires are connected to the plug in normal configuration and the balance leads is tied to the signal pin at the charge plug, the charge cord is made up from a two lead banana plug set and a 2S extension and wire spliced to matching leads.
I use this set up to balance charge my on-board LiFe/A123 packs every time, it does give you the opportunity to monitor cell performance to prevent a failed pack.
whitewolf is offline Find More Posts by whitewolf
Last edited by whitewolf; Feb 26, 2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:03 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,249 Posts
I bookmarked this hull penetration charging jack, never used one and it's not cheap but something for you to look at.

http://www.rcaircraftcomponents.com/...asp?ProdID=713
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:30 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,557 Posts
I built a Sig Hog Bipe that I never take apart. (to much trouble). I have a 2cell 2650 mah A123 life battery in it.

I always balance charge my batteries. SO, I just added a balance lead extension to the batteries balance lead and mounted the balance jack just below my charge jack in the side of the fuse. I used a extra switch plate I had laying around and epoxied the balance plug into it. Then just mounted the plate/jack to the fuse. Now I can balance charge without taking the plane apart. Works great

It is the white thing just below my switch. I keep a rubber rod protector over it.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:08 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,116 Posts
Sweet looking little Hog tacx, Both good solutions there. I went ahead with a conventional switch /charge port but I may add the balance plug as shown. Thank you
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:14 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
As two cell packs gain popularity we may see Dubro or someone offer a port to plug the inside extension to.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:35 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
As two cell packs gain popularity we may see Dubro or someone offer a port to plug the inside extension to.
+1 Hope they read this thought. Bet it will sell well.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:39 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
I just emailed the suggestion to Du-Bro.
RCG Plus Member