HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:26 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Question
Need some advice...RC kit suggestions for corporate training event

RC newbie and first post to RCG...

Wondering if anybody might be willing to point me in the right direction.

Long story short, I am involved in designing a training event for my company's interns this summer. This year, we have landed on having teams build then race RC cars. I've been poking around the interwebs for a while now and have been impressed (and humbled) with what I have learned so far. I even went as far as building a Tamiya Grasshopper this weekend to see what was involved.

So here's where I could use a few helpful suggestions...

The design of the activity is as follows:

We will have several teams (each with 8-15 ppl per team) each responsible for building one car. Safe to assume that model building experience is limited at best.
We are giving them ~2 hrs to build the car (at least to the point it can drive...there will be time later to fine-tune)
Here's the crux...the assembly has to be relatively straightforward. Granted, they will be working in teams and can split up components amongst the team. That said, the Tamiya kit I built this weekend would be too much, unless some it were to be pre-assembled.
Once these are built, I'd like for at least 4 cars to be able to race at once. I've started to wrap my head around 2.4 ghz radios and I believe I'll be okay if I buy enough transmitters/receivers.
So here's where I need help...

In terms of basic kits, is there something out there that requires less assembly than the Grasshopper I built? Ideally, the major components would already be assembled and the interns could more or less piece everything together (we're even thinking of having some teams them do the build w/out complete instructions...). Apparently this has been done with Radio Shack XMods in the past, but from what I can tell, the current alternative (atomic mods?) seems to require just as much assembly as the Tamiya kit. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Secondly, if such a kit doesn't exist, any chance there might be a company out there willing to partially assemble cars?

Lastly (sorry...), any suggestions on what to use to build a temporary course? We're going to be holding the races in a really cool space w/ slick floors, a 360 degree balcony for teams to watch their drivers, and a full production company. Want the course to be impressive (curves, straightaways, maybe even a few jumps)...but haven't thought of what might be best to build and breakdown the course in a matter of a few hours.

Alright...I think I've asked more than my fair share. I sincerely appreciate any and all guidance you have to offer!
pmccoy002 is offline Find More Posts by pmccoy002
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:08 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Small pop bottles partially filled with water (lids on!) will make great corner markers, and you could tie them together with string to form a "barrier" of sorts.

They will definitely move if hit, but shouldn't break.

You'll be fine with 2.4ghz for a lot more than 4 cars, so no worries there

For a car to build in ~2 hours, that'll be tricky. Most kits take much longer even for an experienced builder. You *could* take an ARR vehicle and partially disassemble it.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:03 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,371 Posts
With eight to fifteen people to a team I think you might be able to pull off a build of a Tamiya TT01. You will have to break them up in groups and divide the build it to sections. If you built the differentials before it would save some time. Paint the bodies ahead would help to. This kit comes with everything you need but a battery charger and battery pack. It is a mechanical speed controller but it will work good for what you are doing. It is still going to be a tight time line you might consider 3 hours or at least 2.5 hours it all depends on how good they are with tools and reading instructions.

Car
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDYC4&P=7

Electronic speed control if you want to not use the mechanical one. It does not have reverse. but it is cheap. It should plug in to the motor with no soldering.http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXT7&P=7

Same thing with reverse http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGZX1&P=7

You will need some basic tools to put the cars together Phillips screwdrivers and some needle nose pliers should get you far with this chassis.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:18 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
458 Posts
How about something 2WD instead, maybe something cheap like the hobbyking 1/10 pancar or even Tamiya GT-01/M05/M06? They are far less complex than a 4WD TC is... you don't absolutely need 4WD for a training event, just throwing an idea out here.
SporadicIdiocy is offline Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Last edited by SporadicIdiocy; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Great suggestions. Thank you!!
pmccoy002 is offline Find More Posts by pmccoy002
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:33 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,371 Posts
This is one one the most basic cars you there a lot of fun. you will still need a motor and ESC for them.
The TT01 is a 4wd drive car but it is really simple and it comes with a speed control and a motor.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUEC5&P=ML
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure