SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Laidback_racer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:14 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Discussion
Previous Double Horse 9116 Mods.

My DH9116's have now achieved outstanding performance and reliability for a fp heli. For those of us disappointed with the performance of the DH9116 there are modifications that make a substantial difference. But be warned the total expenditure (most of the performance mods can be done on the cheap) will probably go a long way towards the price of a hobby grade 250 clone or Walkera V200D02, but you will end up with an extremely forgiving, very durable heli that will fly well in 15 mph winds at least.

I have two versions, brushed and brushless.

Mods so far.

Series 2....235g

4800Kv brushless main motor
Turnigy 12A ESC
Xtreme brushless converter.
FX059 tail with V912 blade.
Turnigy 1440A servo's
Battery and PCB relocation. Custom aluminum battery mount placing battery as far forward as possible (important)
1000 mah Li-Po battery 45g
ZR Z101 head(main shaft) (plus new 2.5mm OD metal axle to main shaft)
ZR Z101 flybar (flybar shortened by 28mm with extra weights added)
ZR Z101 top shaft
V912 main blades trimmed to 25mm at widest point, 19mm at tips, and shortened.
8mm carbon fiber boom.
Align offset mixing arms (metal SF mixing arm H25013TA)
V200D01 metal swash (with offset swash guide)
250 links
250 canopy hangers.

2:1 ratio mixing arms. This is by far the most significant mod which greatly enhances cyclic momentum, WARNING: The align type arms do not seem to work with the stock 9116 head (ZR Z101 head required).

Series 1...260g

F45 main motor
Turnigy 1440A servo's
V912 PCB
Battery and PCB relocation. Custom aluminum battery mount.
900 mah Li-Po battery
ZR Z101 head(main shaft)
ZR Z101 flybar (flybar shortened by 28mm with extra weights added, spacers fitted under flybar to slightly restrict overall throw...no flybar strikes, 12g total)
Modified ZR Z101 shaft fitted via set screws.
V912 Blades trimmed to 24mm at widest point, 19mm at tips, 9116 length. (V912 blades are thicker and far superior)
V912 main gear (much thicker, shim required)
8mm carbon fiber tail boom
FX059 tail assembly.
Align offset mixing arms (metal SF mixing arm H25013TA)
V200D01 metal swash (with offset swash guide)
250 links
250 canopy hangers

Mods in progress:

Future Mods ????
-----------------------------
Plenty of video in comments......
Laidback_racer is offline Find More Posts by Laidback_racer
Last edited by Laidback_racer; Nov 14, 2013 at 01:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:22 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Parts on order...

Align 1.9:1 metal mixing arms and V200D01 metal swash. Servo's will be repositioned to suit.

UPDATE: The 45 deg flybar head does not work with the V200D01 swashplate in the position shown in the pic (below). All cyclic controls are off by 45 deg. But the swashplate does work very effectively in the standard 9116 position along with installation of a 45 deg offset swash guide.

Overall feel of the new head is dramatic with a large increase in control. Most of the gain is in the instant feedback from the sticks but at this stage at a loss of some hovering stability (some gains made in stability made after tuning with possibly more to come). The heli in hover position requires more input but I think well worth the trade off. For brand new pilots this might be a little demanding but for intermediate pilots the step up to cp will be easier.

UPDATE: Full hover stability has returned. The new links require some bedding in to achieve best results.
Last edited by Laidback_racer; Mar 22, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:38 AM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
This is a small sample of forward speed, much more is available (better vids to follow). Full cyclic and power was not applied. Now with the servo arm extension done, the heli maintains at least a 30 deg angle and has continuous forward flight without any pendulum effect.

Modded Double Horse 9116 (1 min 20 sec)

A short blast with the 9116 (0 min 13 sec)
Last edited by Laidback_racer; Mar 07, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:19 AM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
V912 pcb

The V912 PCB has a shorter servo throw programmed into the PCB compared with the stock 9116 PCB. For my mods I get a lot of advantages from the V912 PCB including the lack of servo mixing which is mandatory for the V200D01 swashplate.

There is more swash angle to be gained if the servo throw can be increased on the elevator arm. Some of us are looking for software or hardware solutions to increase throw, but a longer servo arm can achieve the same results. The standard V912 PCB travel plus the mixing arm and swashplate mod greatly enhance cyclic movement over the stock 9116. Getting that extra last bit of travel out of the V200D01 swashplate will add significant extra forward speed.

The test will be if the servo can handle the extra load.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:06 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
A bit more video showing forward flight. Head was a bit tight from new main shaft mod, think I can still do better to show the full cyclic....will keep trying.

3-5 mph breeze.

UPDATE: The Xtreme 180A Pro motor was also on its last legs. It has done many hours and the brushes are ready to be replaced from inventory. Edit: The brushes on inspection were not too bad, I think I can expect 20 hours before replacement. The main problem was the feathering pin being too tight.

Modded 9116 flyby. (0 min 43 sec)

9116 indoor flight showing response... (1 min 0 sec)
Last edited by Laidback_racer; Mar 11, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:55 AM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
No longer flying like a toy...

Full fast forward flight returned after tuning feathering shaft.

5 mph winds not a problem.

modded 9116 morning flight in 5 mph winds (7 min 32 sec)
Last edited by Laidback_racer; Mar 11, 2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:51 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Some improvement...

Some problems again with main motor dropping out. Set her down to bind again and then she flew error free. Tx is suss requiring 2 to 3 binds before heli is good. Every flight getting better with even some banked turns this time.

Modded 9116, 3 mph winds, some banked turns etc. (0 min 0 sec)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:13 AM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Mod Walk Through.

Modded DH9116 Walk Through. (8 min 34 sec)
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:35 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Duck your head...

Video from this morning. Lots of cyclic and evidence of cutting out motor along with commentary for Rajah235

I will strip everything down today and re solder anything that looks bad, I also had fairly weak batteries in the tx that wouldnt help. 6.2 volts on the tx screen.

Modded DH9116. 1-3 mph winds, lots of cyclic plus commentary. (6 min 47 sec)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:13 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Video of DD tail mod fitted. Extra agility and slick controls improving confidence.

New Direct Drive tail fitted to modded 9116 (2 min 7 sec)
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:50 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Today's flight was good news and bad news. The wind was fairly strong (weather service saying 15-18 mph) and the lighter tail was much better at driving into the wind. It was very impressive but it looks like a flybar weight let go causing a pretty big crash. I was lucky to crash on a soft garden bed with no damage.

The plastic inside the flybar was weakened by myself attempting a flybar mod the other day. I guess I can now cut the flybar and try some different weights.

The lighter tail is big with the mods performed so far.

modded 9116 with stock tail in wind with crash. (1 min 21 sec)
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:51 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Video showing how the shortened with extra weight flybar performs in fast forward flight and a slight breeze. The heli is now capable of a 45 deg angle going forward and is exhilarating to fly. Still some minor flybar strikes (front only) which will be resolved.

None of the forward cyclic gained from the lighter tail has been lost, and overall control and handling is great. It may be me but I felt the heli had more lift with the different flybar.

Motor issues returning which may be the mobile phone tower across the road or range problems. No issues at home so far.

Weights used are temporary but consist of one 450 axle collar and two 450 axle bearings each end. Flybar is trimmed 28mm each end.

Flight time is an impressive 8.5 minutes, probably a bit long.

I have since placed some o rings under the flybar that limit travel this time by only a few mm. The results look very encouraging.

Modded 9116 with trimmed flybar and stock tail. (8 min 25 sec)
Last edited by Laidback_racer; Mar 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old May 11, 2013, 02:34 AM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Series 2 Flight Report.

Temp: 19C
Wind: 10-15 mph (branches moving on trees)
Weather: Drizzle to light rain.

Conditions were difficult but I couldn't wait. Wind was so strong I had to jump out of the way on take off (better to be upwind) but the extra power of the motor soon kicked in. The power is not like some are expecting, there would be 15-20% more power from the 4800KV Brushless than the 180A Pro at a guess, the delivery is smooth and precise plus I love the slow spool up on start.

It took me a little while to get used to the new bird in the wind, I have more forward angle than the Series 1 which is probably coming from a little extra servo travel and the added power, the forward angle caught me out and I ploughed into the ground at full tilt into the wind, the heli was moving fast.

NO DAMAGE, amazing, not even a link disturbed. The perfect turf and soft rain filled earth probably helped, but there is no denying this heli is super tuff.

The crappy gyro held up pretty good in fast forward flight, the speeds were insane and once I got used to the conditions it was easy to fly. Flying the 9116 with the Devo7 was a new experience, no dramas and a perfect feel on the sticks, you really feel more intune with the machine.

The upgrade has been a success, and I have enough parts left over to build a Series 1 machine which I am doing for posterity (and my son, who got me into this). TWO great Heli's for the price of a BNF V200D02...not bad.

Modded 9116, brushless main & tail motor upgrade + Devo7 (0 min 0 sec)

Brushless 9116, bad gyro causing problems...with crash. (1 min 41 sec)
Last edited by Laidback_racer; May 28, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old May 28, 2013, 07:57 AM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
Brushless DDVP setup working....it sounds angry and is, but able to fly very smooth figure 8's also. Now working on weight reduction which will get it down from 300g to sub 270g.

20130517001 (0 min 0 sec)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:17 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
After much experimentation I think I am coming closer to the ultimate 9116.

A 4800kv 2S brushless motor connected to V912 PCB with FX059 tail with V912 blade, metal swash with 45 deg swash guide and align 2:1 mixing arms and an overall all up weight of 235g.

The tail is holding well with an 8 tooth pinion on the main, the heli is so smooth and powerful to fly, it is by far my best solution so far. It is so good to fly I might invest in a 9x tx, the heli is finally a keeper.

Main blades are stiffer cut down V912 and flybar weights have been increased. Flybar strike on the canopy is possible with extreme stick movements but overall very acceptable.

I will get some video soon.