HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:19 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,226 Posts
Build Log
New Jet Boat KMB Drive

I'm building a new jet boat and I'm using a KMB jet drive for propulsion. My boat is very similar to the actual KMB boat. It's almost identical, but It's not a copy from one of his hull kits. I will not speculate on where the KMB design originated, but these two boat designs may come from the same source.

Length: 25.5"

Beam: 9.5"

KMB boats come with the deck already bonded to the hull. Unlike the KMB boat, this is a two piece kit with a cockpit cover that must be bonded together. This boat is not made from polyester resin. This hull is made from epoxy resins and satin fiberglass cloth. The Gelcoat is also derived from a durable epoxy topcoat that takes a lot of punishment.

This is not an NQD jet boat, it's much larger.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Last edited by Tollytime; Feb 25, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,226 Posts
Abs plastic glue?

I want to install the KMB drive, but there is some gluing required. I don't work with plastics very often and I'm hoping somebody can tell me what kind of glue/epoxy is best for ABS. The outer shroud must be glued to the end of drive and I'm asking what would work best.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:08 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
Hi Tollytime

That looks like a very nice hull and jet drive! May I ask if that boat is available somewhere?

I am building 2 of the NQD Tear Into Jet boats and have been actively following the thread on that http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404719
I am sure the experts in that thread would have all kinds of best practices for you, and you can just search the thread for many of the answers you need as well.
I have used Gorilla Glue and JB Weld metallized epoxy, but another glue that seems to keep coming up is called Shoe Goo, and it may have the best characteristics for what you are trying to glue. Super Glue CA is great also in many places, but here it may be too brittle and make a mess of your hull and or jet drive if you wanted to remove it at some future point.

The Gorilla Glue is tenacious in its grip and is as water resistant as any glue, but it's little habit of foaming and expanding might be a drawback in this use unless you could be sure your Drive casing was clamped very firmly to the hull when you use it. The Gorilla Glue would expand and push the drive from the hull and maybe not in an exactly straight/ true manner.

The JB Weld can be an excellent adhesive, but might make for too strong of a bond that would not allow removal in the future.

Something like the Shoe Goo glue might have the best grip and flexibility for the Drive to hull mounting.

This will be the most important bond in your boat build, so experimenting a bit with these glues and others might be wise.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Mar 03, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Hi Tollytime

That looks like a very nice hull and jet drive! May I ask if that boat is available somewhere?

John in Merrill
There will be more hulls coming soon, this is a prototype. It will not be mass produced, but the price should be reasonable for a low production boat using expensive materials.

It's not from China and it's not plastic.

I buy KMB Jet Drives in bulk if anybody asks.

Thanks for glue advice. I'm going to try a few.
Last edited by Tollytime; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:28 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,966 Posts
My vote is for shoe goo. I have used it extensively on my NQD boat and it has never let go of anything in the 2 years or so I have been running my boat. It sticks like crazy, but remains slightly flexible, which I think would be perfect for a joint like this.

What is the bulk price on one of those KMB's?
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
My vote is for shoe goo. I have used it extensively on my NQD boat and it has never let go of anything in the 2 years or so I have been running my boat. It sticks like crazy, but remains slightly flexible, which I think would be perfect for a joint like this.

What is the bulk price on one of those KMB's?
There is a small discount for orders over 5 and 10, but it's still close to the retail price out of Germany. That does not include shipping.

PayPal gets their cut and probably a piece of the exchange rate.

I'm selling them for $79.95 each (69.95 if you buy 2). Shipping is free for RC Groups members in the lower 48 states.

Thanks for the tip.
Last edited by Tollytime; Feb 26, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:02 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
I see you are in Michigan, I an in central WI. I found the Shoe Goo Glue at my local Menards Lumber/Building store. Probably available other places or online.

Keep me on your short list for a hull and jetdrive.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner