Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Discussion
How to Convert a Blade 450 3D into an FBL system

I'm not sure how to go about start this project and I'm also not sure on all of the parts that I will need. I would kind of like to do a DIY type project, but just to keep the price low. Or if there's any other methods of doing this and still keeping the price down, that'd be great too!
Preston019 is offline Find More Posts by Preston019
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
22 Posts
If your main shaft is 5mm, you can look at the FBL parts available for other 450 helicopters such as the Trex 450. Download the manual which lists all the parts with dimensions on most.
magno_grail is offline Find More Posts by magno_grail
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magno_grail View Post
If your main shaft is 5mm, you can look at the FBL parts available for other 450 helicopters such as the Trex 450. Download the manual which lists all the parts with dimensions on most.
Any suggestions on a gyro? Also, am I going to have to replace the receiver?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:22 AM
chopper chopper chopper!!!
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2012
153 Posts
well if your going to a FBL your going to need a FBL system like maybe 3g or BX theirs other out their to.
Lozki is offline Find More Posts by Lozki
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:02 AM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
Several FBL controllers. You get what you pay for! If you want to just go out and fly without all the fuss then go beastx ar7200bx beastx / spektrum rx or IKON with a spektrum satellite.
You will also have to experiment with different clyclic linkages for the proper length but those are cheap so get different lengths in sets of 3. A good quality digital servo is also a must if you trouble free fbl conversions
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:11 AM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
388 Posts
Seems to me the most straight forward thing to do would be to use 450X parts.
Flybarless head block, grips, follower arms, etc...
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOS View Post
Several FBL controllers. You get what you pay for! If you want to just go out and fly without all the fuss then go beastx ar7200bx beastx / spektrum rx or IKON with a spektrum satellite.
You will also have to experiment with different clyclic linkages for the proper length but those are cheap so get different lengths in sets of 3. A good quality digital servo is also a must if you trouble free fbl conversions
I'm wanting to do this without spending nearly half of what I paid for the heli. Are there parts that will work, but don't cost nearly as much; maybe around $100?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:13 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,671 Posts
Depends on your flying experience. Tarot ZYX FBL Gyro is in the $50 to $60 range, but is not much more than an electronic flybar. It has very little, if any, self-leveling ability. Also, eliminating the flybar puts a lot more pressure on your servos, so you probably will need to upgrade to higher torque. Hobby King sells an RJX conversion head that fits the T-Rex and clones, but it uses your head block and a few other parts. It does include new CNC aluminum blade grips with thrust bearings and longer pitch arms for more leverage. Still, it's going to be tough to bring it in under $100 and still have a quality heli.

Good luck.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:44 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
I just got mine done...... well it flies but needs a better ESC

Heres what I have;

Tarot FBL head (from miracle mart for $12.00 + shipping)
Tarot ZYX-s FBL gyro ($50.00 miracle mart + sh)
Tower Pro MG90 (digital servo) for cyclic (about $10.00 ea)
Orange 610 Rx (Hobby King) $5.00

You may get away with the stock ESC if you stay with analog cyclics, but even then I'm not to sure as adding a FBL gyro will consume more power.

If I had to do it over again, I would of used the HK922mg servos, and the Align DS410 horns.

Though, in all reality, I wouldnt do it again on the Blade and rather stuck to the more popular Align/Tarot/Clones. The parts are cheaper and easier to get in better replacement quality.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2013
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli View Post
Also, eliminating the flybar puts a lot more pressure on your servos, so you probably will need to upgrade to higher torque.
The 4503D has the exact same DS76 cyclic servos as the 450X. Yes, the plastic servo gears are a little fragile in a crash, but they fly and hold up just fine. I have both helis and none of the cyclic servos have ever given me any trouble. I've had to change a few gear sets, but that wasn't the servo's fault. I also run the servos on my 450X at the 6V versus the stock 5V setting on the ESC/BEC to give an extra volt of headroom to the AR7200BX cutoff voltage of 3.5V. So, these servos are driven even harder with more speed and torque at 6V. They're fine.
GoNavy93 is offline Find More Posts by GoNavy93
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
GoNavy, is the ESC the same on both the 3D and X ?

I know the motors are different.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined May 2011
69 Posts
You can see how I converted mine here. www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1736800
It only cost about $65 for all the parts, including the gyro.
Ben Biggs is offline Find More Posts by Ben Biggs
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2013
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
GoNavy, is the ESC the same on both the 3D and X ?

I know the motors are different.
Not sure. I really haven't compared them side-by-side.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNavy93 View Post
Not sure. I really haven't compared them side-by-side.
Thanks, I think because of the cyclic servos now combined with the ZYX, it may not be up to par. I had replaced the servos before the conversion and they worked well but now after, things are definitly off. I cant blame the ZYX because I'm running it on another 450 build and things work great there.

I will be ordering another Mystery Blue 40A ESC and see what that does to get things in the groove again.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2013
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Thanks, I think because of the cyclic servos now combined with the ZYX, it may not be up to par. I had replaced the servos before the conversion and they worked well but now after, things are definitly off. I cant blame the ZYX because I'm running it on another 450 build and things work great there.

I will be ordering another Mystery Blue 40A ESC and see what that does to get things in the groove again.
I just checked the parts listings on Horizon's website for the ESC on the 4503D and 450X. It's the same 35A ESC. Part number: EFLA335H

I've found it to be a good little ESC/BEC on both my helis. Never had any problems with either one. I do highly recommend the 6V change on the 450X or a FBL converted 4503D. And, hot glue the electrolytic capacitor to the board/shrink wrap since it's unsupported and people have reported the solder joints breaking from crashes, vibrations, etc. Both are extremely easy mods to do with the ESC out of the heli. Just be aware than you cannot run the stock DS76T tail servo at 6V or it will burn up. You need a step-down diode or regulator. Or, just go with a tail servo rated for 6V, which is what I did with a Hitec 5084mg digital servo. Works great.