Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:35 PM
Dweebster
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
701 Posts
Help!
Identify Electronics labeled "Flaps"

Hi gents,

I have a partially kit built Topflite Cessna 182 that I bought about 4 years ago. It came with various electronics that are not complete. I have identified some being an onboard glow by EMS Jomar, as well as some 9v and switches for wing lights, a 9v and light for a tail becon, and some wire for landing lights.

I don't know what the device is shown in the photographs. It looks similar to the micro board for the becon, only that had 4 wires (2 from the 9v and 2 out to the bulb. The micro board in the photo graph has a label on it, to connect to a 'Y' harness and attach into the "Flap" channel on the reciever. There are two wires off the micro board, as well as a small adjustment.

I was thinking it's either to slow the flaps, or a better guess would be something maybe with landing lights. Need help with this one. Thanks in advance.
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:46 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,223 Posts
It does have a 9V battery connection....so I'd say it does not supply any power to the receiver.
My best guess it used the flap position on the receiver as a switch, for as you said, landing lights on and off.
Light are cool but on a sunny day they can't be seen and on a cloudy day you can kinda see em. I wouldn't fret over them too much...unless you just want them real bad
jetmech05 is online now Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined Jul 2010
119 Posts
My guess is a slow-down circuit for flaps. I have such an item on both my planes with flaps, but it is much smaller. That is the only thing I can think of; it may not be miniaturized as much as what I have if it's older.
jbryan80 is offline Find More Posts by jbryan80
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:10 PM
Dweebster
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
701 Posts
Thanks guys.

I was told they are the 'RAM Landing Lights 4 8V 2 RAM03'. Judging by this picture from the interweb, the micro board looks right. Not sure why there are only 2 wires comeing off, maybe to add a connector that Y's out to 2 lights? Not sure.

So (me not being electrically knowledgable), is there a way to use these, to go on when the flap servo is engaged WITHOUT using the reciever battery. I don't know if it's just me, but using your reciever battery for lights doesn't seem like a good idea. Is it as simple as disconnecting the red/black wires to another battery, and only sending white to the reciever? Thanks in advance.
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944