SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by DJO, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:32 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Alert
FPV PopWing v2.0 Build Starting Soon!

Yo everybody,

So recently I've been building a lot of FPV setups on here, and I've got the itch to get another setup for myself up and flying. I LOVED my old PopWing, it was a great FPV platform. 25 to 30 minute flight times, small, durable, fast and agile. Overall it flew great! After a while though, it was pretty beat up and ripped apart after I did so many modifications to it. So I ordered a new PopWing kit, this time the painted version

For the most part I'll be running a very similar setup on this one. However, this one will be laminated

The setup will include:

-900mm NitroPlanes PopWing KIT
-Lightweight Laminate (10 feet)
-ExceedRC 1360kv ~52g Motor
-FLiPower 30 Amp ESC w/BEC
-6x6 Pusher Prop (to be tested)
-1350mAH 3S 30C EFlite Battery
-Two 9g Suppo Servos
-FrSky FASST TFR6-A 6ch RX
-200mw 5.8 GHz vTX (and RX) - EDIT: 150mw 1.3 GHz vTX + 900mhz/1.3 GHz RX
-PZ0420 or 520 TVL FPV Cam - EDIT: 480 TVL Micro Cam
-SpiroNet Antennas (to be tested)
-8'' LCD FPV Monitor on the Ground
-Probably a 2200 mAH 3S for the RX + TV - EDIT: Probably a 1300 mAH 3S instead

The FPV setup will operate similarly to this one that I just recently shipped out to a member on here (but I don't have a GoPro HERO3 to plug in ):

I'll be using a tap lead off of the main 3S battery with a filter (top right, one of those) to eliminate some RF noise from entering the system. ESC and RX are ready to be glued into the foam with some painter's tape to keep it all nice and clean.

I can't wait to get back into FPV! In the future I'll also be buying one of those keychain cameras with the "D" lens for some good HD footage from the PopWing.

Stay tuned!

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DJO; Feb 26, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:10 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Alright, change of plans for the FPV PopWing v2.0! Instead of 5.8 GHz, 200mw I'll be running 1.3 GHz, 150mw equipment onboard with a 480 TVL mini camera. I think last time I ran into trouble putting too much weight onboard and out on the wing as well. The 150mw vTX will be able to be kept fairly close to the 2.4 GHz RX without causing crazy issues. I don't think I'll be using a low pass filter just because it has such lower power output.

All in all the FPV equipment onboard will still be powered off of the 3S Li-Po for the plane, but it'll be very lightweight and compact, for maximum durability as well... and keeping the plane's weight down!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:03 PM
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Feb 2006
242 Posts
What is the light weight laminate and where do you use it? Just ordered a pair of popwings for my son and I and am looking for any info on mods or flying information
Bariboy is offline Find More Posts by Bariboy
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:09 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bariboy View Post
What is the light weight laminate and where do you use it? Just ordered a pair of popwings for my son and I and am looking for any info on mods or flying information
The laminate is from a CrashTestHobby Pelican kit. You can buy it separately without the kit from here if you want though... I'm going to see how it works!

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/10-feet-of-laminate.html

You've found the right guy then! Any questions that you have on the PopWing feel free to ask! I assume you're talking about the 900mm version, right?

Here's my full build log. I hope to do a similar one for the lamiated version as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/djopro.../thefpvproject

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad