Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:47 AM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,448 Posts
Discussion
Working with the Vlad Carbon ...

So after seeing the Samurai Carbon thread what's the preferred methods for dealing with the Vlad carbons ?
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:16 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,412 Posts
Kevin do you have some to play with? If you want I can get you enough for a d-box.

Anyway, these fabrics are all shipped differently. Vlad WILL NOT TAKE 3M77. Put the 3M AWAY!!! Maybe hairspray will work, haven't tried that. The best thing is to keep it on the paper backing it comes on and use that to transfer it. What happens even with a super light misting of 3M77 is the carbon frays when trying to remove it from the wax paper, and you manually have to re-align the threads. Huge pain, avoid if at all possible.

The 64 g/m^2 Textreme is likely the easiest fabric to handle, at least the 80 g/m^2 stuff certainly is.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:18 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
853 Posts
Vlad Carboline handles similar to Textreme. They both have a binder on the backside. You mostly have to be careful not to disturb the free side when wetting out. I find the Carboline and Textreme easier to work with than Samurai. The samurai will rack easily and a carrier film is pretty much manditory(at least for my fabric handling skill level). Samurai doesn't have the dead weight of the binder and it is beautiful, but the binder makes handling so easy. For complex curves you can warm the fabric as you wet it out to soften the binder. Lee
killercando is offline Find More Posts by killercando
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:34 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,448 Posts
Thanks guys, thats why I posted. Did the 3m thing right off with a small test piece and owned a carbon fur ball now. The carrier seems robust enough when pulled off the paper but the paper on sounds fine for big piececs with the raw carbon layed into the epoxy first. going forward and figuring it out.
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:44 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,412 Posts
Bad Vlad carbon wing: http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...421_114929.jpg

Good Vlad carbon wing: http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...4-IMG_3115.jpg

Even the latter has some issues, the fabric likes to distort when you remove the paper backing. It doesn't help that my molds are basically black so once carbon goes down life gets fun. You can see the frays in the former caused by peeling the wax paper off the carbon.

I'm not really sure about the binder on this. Textreme is just sooo nice to work with. But it is extremely hard to beat Vlad for the strength to stiffness ratio. Where is the 40g Textreme I've been promised!?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:59 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Where is the 40g Textreme I've been promised!?
I spoke via e-mail to a Textreme rep last week about the 45g^sq meter fabric that is on there web site... He said that they have no plans to manufacture the fabric. I don't know why it's advertised on the web site??? It would be ideal for many sailplane aplications...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:21 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,412 Posts
Yes but not ideal for their main customer, race car builders. I suspect we are stuck with what is currently available.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:33 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,592 Posts
Kevin,

I use a roller cutter and leave it attached to the paper binder. Wet your mylars or mold and place carbon side down. Press in place and peel the paper away. It helps to peel the paper at 90 degrees to the top layer tow direction. It's messy and complicated the first time you use it, then it's easy after you figure out how NOT to handle it. There is no such thing as repositioning, so be sure the first time.

3M77 works great with this fabric to attach a light glass layer. I do this for my tail mounts and some of the doublers.

As for the lighter Textreme... I have heard that they're still planning to make it and I've even seen samples of the material but I understand that they're having some issues with quality control and are not yet mass producing it until the process is better refined.

I'm using alot of the 64g Textreme and I HEAVILY prefer it to the Samurai cloth. It's easy to work with, light, stiff, strong, and seems to be more durable.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:56 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Kevin,

I use a roller cutter and leave it attached to the paper binder. Wet your mylars or mold and place carbon side down. Press in place and peel the paper away. It helps to peel the paper at 90 degrees to the top layer tow direction. It's messy and complicated the first time you use it, then it's easy after you figure out how NOT to handle it. There is no such thing as repositioning, so be sure the first time.

3M77 works great with this fabric to attach a light glass layer. I do this for my tail mounts and some of the doublers.

As for the lighter Textreme... I have heard that they're still planning to make it and I've even seen samples of the material but I understand that they're having some issues with quality control and are not yet mass producing it until the process is better refined.

I'm using alot of the 64g Textreme and I HEAVILY prefer it to the Samurai cloth. It's easy to work with, light, stiff, strong, and seems to be more durable.

the lighter textreme is a diffrent fibre it's ims , you can notice that in the price

unfortunnatly the weight of the binder remains 9gr/mē , if the weight of the fabric goes down the % useless weight(binder) goes up...

-kristof-
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:34 PM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
336 Posts
I have been working with the Vlad carbon for a while and the first few orders of fabric came with the brown paper backing. This was a real PITA to work with as I always had issues with the fabric not releasing properly from the backing, specially near the edges of the sheet of fabric.

My most recent order of Vlad carbon was supplied with a white fabric backing which appears to be very thin peel-ply or something very similar. It is a HUGE improvement as the carbon releases from the backing without any problems. The backing cannot be cut with a wheel knife but I always work with the naked fabric anyway so that is not a problem. Just be gentle with the fabric and it behaves itself.

It is not nearly as easy to work with as the Textreme ST but the weight cannot be beaten.

Graham
graham1234 is offline Find More Posts by graham1234
RCG Plus Member