HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Fixed Pitch 450 Heli Conversions And More!

This is dedicated to those of us who just cannot leave well enough alone.

Splash

Fixed Pitch 450 Heli Conversions And More!

RCGroups user arrowshooter has a great thread on fixed pitch conversions. Here is what he has to say:

Over in the Micro Heli / MJX F45 thread, some of us have been modifying the F45 to pull every bit of performance we could out of this sturdy little bird. What started out as a conversion from brushed to brushless main and then tail motors, grew to full on parts replacement such as blades and flybars, and most recently the use of parts from the F45 (the PCB, rotor head and tail motor section) to create a Fixed Pitch 450 size helicopter which was dubbed the F45/450 and flies absolutely fantastically. We are not the first to do this and succeed, but are the only ones to use the parts of the F45.

The most difficult parts of the transformation are adapting the F45 rotor head and swashplate to the 450 main shaft, which is 1mm thinner than the F45 main shaft, along with the fashioning of an antirotation bracket. In my case, I used a section of old Tx antenna and shrink tubing on the main shaft and made the antirotation bracket out of plastic. The F45 tail section is affixed by cutting off about 1 ˝” of the F45 tail boom and “shimming” it to fit inside the 450’s tail boom. I again used shrink tubing and a single screw to hold things in place.

We knew we were stretching the limits of still being involved in the MJX F45 thread, but since the major workings were still F45 it was natural to stay put. But I have crossed the threshold from F45/450 Conversion to full on Fixed Pitch 450 conversion by utilizing the belt driven tail rotor and a 4-in-1 Tx/Rx system. All that remains is the F45 rotor head, so here I am.

Since the FP450 modifications can only be taken so far, I figured this thread could be used by the tinkerers of our kind to bounce ideas around and show off their projects. I know there are other “multi-brand” helis out there that end up in limbo, so here is a place to go. It is not reserved only for the FP450 conversion, but any single rotor helicopter modification adventure that no longer fits in a particular model category. Hopefully we can keep this going for a while.

I will kick this off with my two FP450 conversions. One is still the F45/450 with the MJX PCB and Tail Motor, and the other is the belt driven model, full on FP450 conversion which I have more plans for such as Flybarless and possibly the use of a "locked down" CP450 rotor head.