HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Thermal Structure and You

RCGroups user Rockdoctor has put some interesting data together that may help you become a better sailplane pilot.

Splash

Thermal Structure

I have been building up a large collection of altitude data from my DLG using a tiny altimeter from Hobby King and it is giving me some intersting perspective on the structure of thermals, particularly close to the ground where it matters most for DLG pilots.

As per a previous post, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1646725&page=6, I generally find that thermals come in large clusters that I suspect represent the complex near-ground roots of much larger thermals above.

Yesterday I had a rather different experience. It was a bright clear day following a cool night. Winds were very light, maybe 2kt or less and wafting all over the place due to thermal activity. Typical dry season weather in sub-tropical Laos.

At 11 am, my first launch went straight into a good thermal and I climbed quickly to 300m. I bailed out in a hurry so I could fit the wing video camera and take advantage of the good conditions to get some good footage.