6,054 Posts
(crunch crunch) mmmmmmmmm.... (crunch)
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:46 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
If only i was joking Its pizza time.....
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:06 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhart View Post
You can use an Arduino Uno as an ISP for the attiny45/85/etc - if you have one handy, the instructions at the High-Low Tech site worked for me: http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1695
I was just logging on to talk about this. Looking over the tutorial better I see that you need to load a sketch to make the Uno into a programmer, but I get the same error:

Binary sketch size: 5,492 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
dave mentioned already having a usbasp and not dave, but dave, knows where you can get mega8s for 1/3 what dx charges: EBAY! seventy something cents ea.

its true dave does love these chips. bet you cant eat just one!
Once I get this figured out I will hunt those down.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:20 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,503 Posts
Looking at the AtTiny45 there are pins labeled 0,1, and 2.

Would that be three digital outputs? So I could do my two flasher that I did with the Nano plus even add one more?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:26 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
any of the 6 io pins can be used for that. you could have 6 flashers if you want. there are no digital only pins. the tarduinos just developed "duino-talk" to confuse people.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:24 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,503 Posts
Got past the avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 for making Uno into a programer. Should not have been trying that step with the Tiny connected. At least it said the sketch uploaded OK. Still the same error when trying to upload sketch to Tiny.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:44 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
yeah that sync message is a biatch. ive gotten it thousands of times. the trick with arduino is you have to make sure the right menu option is clicked because it gives you two differnt ways to program (boot and isp) and the boards.txt file must be set for the right target and type of programmer too.

unless im really trying out new hardware and depending on arduino libs to get started, i prefer raw winavr w/o the ide and avrdude from the command line. ie batch files.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 02:46 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
VIDEO0014 (0 min 9 sec)

So can work
Well i tried this afternoon and damit if attiny45 wasn't dead and couldn't recover. Even with my super Duper Fuse fixer thingy http://www.pe0fko.nl/Fuse-restore/ mines bottom middle . AVR fuses really can spoil your fun.

Well found my stash and set too and does work well but no attiny13 support. Don't do the no resister thing.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:34 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,503 Posts
Well I got it figured out. I was not hooking up the Tiny to the solderless board the proper way. I have had the experimenter board from like 20 years ago and it has been so long since I used it that I forgot how the rails were configured. once I realized that the whole X and Y rails were all one, not 4 separate blocks of five each, I got it hooked up and successfully loaded one of the example sketches. I can now set it up with my flasher routine and have extremely small and cheap flasher chips for my airplanes.

WOO HOO!!

VIDEO0028 (0 min 6 sec)
Last edited by davidmc36; Mar 01, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:36 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
nice one
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:16 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,503 Posts
I'm thinking now that I may take the Nano and hook it up as a permanent programmer. Or I guess I have that USBasp, I should be able to use that with the Arduino software.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:26 AM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jan 2013
113 Posts
Well done David! Indeed, the trouble with using the Arduino as an ISP is that you need to keep the breadboard setup for programming tiny's or rebuild it each time ... not a huge deal, but still a bit painful.

If you were doing it regularly (e.g.: to make lights for other people's planes) then I'd suggest trying to get the USBasp working.
lmhart is offline Find More Posts by lmhart
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:15 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhart View Post
Well done David! Indeed, the trouble with using the Arduino as an ISP is that you need to keep the breadboard setup for programming tiny's or rebuild it each time ... not a huge deal, but still a bit painful.

If you were doing it regularly (e.g.: to make lights for other people's planes) then I'd suggest trying to get the USBasp working.
This has been very educational and fun at the same time. Once I saw a bit about how code is written and how Arduino works in general I see why people like making things with it.

I bought a couple programmed chips from a guy on here and when I inquired about one that was not working correctly he was good enough to send me another chip for free and also gave me some links to the asp and software he was using. That is what he is using to make chips with LED's attached for sale, the asp, so I went ahead and bought one. Looks like the way to go for future programming. In the Arduino software I see one of the choices for programmer is the USBasp.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:38 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,503 Posts
Just successfully used the USBasp to put sketch into the Tiny. We're off to the races!!

Now I need to get a socket that the Tiny fits into and solder up a little board that hooks to the asp so I don't have to tie up my experimenter board.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:58 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Excellent

Thought of this when you said you had none working attiny http://www.rickety.us/2010/03/arduin...al-programmer/
Using your pro mini you maybe able to recover it and handy when you get your fuses wrong. They can still break but trust me it bites when you get it wrong and its your last one.

Oh and you can use Reset as an IO so 6 leds