HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
Question
Prop size and pitch suggestions

Ok I have the H9 60 size corsair. I have a Saito 100 in it and Im running a 14x8 Master Airscrew K series prop. I cant get the performance out of the engine I think I may be able too. Ive adjusted Mixtures, and its either to rich or a tad too lean. Its like it wont totally unload like it should. Which direction should I go from the 14x8 or should I use a diff prop. I thought Id try the majority's suggestions before I go out and buy a bunch of props...

Thx, Terry
Razorback Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Razorback Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:35 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,
the 14x8 sounds about right for your plane.
It should allow you to have plenty power while keeping it scale.
Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:01 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi,
the 14x8 sounds about right for your plane.
It should allow you to have plenty power while keeping it scale.
Brgds,
Danny
Thx Danny, Yeah I thought so too, but when I get it where there is just a tad of fuel smoke trail, and I go from half or 3/4 throttle to full throttle it has that lean bog sound in the air. I wonder if a different type of prop would be different... But the Black Master Airscrew looks so good on her. I love this plane. Ive had her over 8 years. Had her put away for about the last 6... Installed a new cowl and retracts to doll her back up for the upcoming 1/8 airforce event here in March..
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:14 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,166 Posts
Do you use a tach for tuning? I've found the tach is essential for tuning 4-strokes.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,475 Posts
A popular prop size for your 60 warbird set up is a 15x6. Also, you may get better performance using a APC. You still have to buy the props in order to test them out.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:25 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Do you use a tach for tuning? I've found the tach is essential for tuning 4-strokes.
DGrant, I haven't used a tach since I started flying it again. I will tach it this weekend. Hardly ever used it though. Just used my eyes and ears.. but its the age thing ya know. probably not working as well!!!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,166 Posts
In alot of cases, the pitch of a 4-stroke engine is much harder to hear then a 2-stroke.. Using the tach, tune it to the peak RPM's.. peak peak... then richen it until the R's drop 300-500 or so.. that should put you into a very good range.. regardless of the prop..

With that said, it needs to be retuned with every prop... as the "peak" will definately change, with every prop... and it could ultimately damage an engine.. which is much less likely when tuned with the tach... not to mention.. theres a slight possibility(I might bet money).. that engine when tached and tuned just might pull that prop quite a bit better...

Good luck to you.. come back here with results.. I'm curious now. haha.. Have a nice evening.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant