4,169 Posts
Discussion
The wood prop myth..?

We are doing a vintage plane and the plastic prop just looks
wrong on it...

The wood looks right!

How much difference does it really make?? Several people
in the club fly electric and use only wooden props, not
electric wooden, just the regular ones from the hobby shop.

Has anyone ever done a real test between them?

We are talking about a two pound plane, 280w motor.
10/6 recommended. 25a, 45oz thrust with a GWS.

This is not a performance aircraft. Is is a three channel
slow flier. 50"wing.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Last edited by Kimber; Feb 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:54 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
1,764 Posts
You will be fine.

Some wood props at certain rpm's will our perform the plastics, and vice-versa.
One question... how many square inches of wing?

Nevermind... looking at the wingspan and the weight, I can tell you already that you have a floater.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Most cheapie wood props suck aerodynamically, but there are high-tech wood props like Xoar that are top-notch.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:01 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
I use wood props (xoar) mainly for their light weight. Efficiency wise the Xoar is very good, on par with an APC 'Thin Electric'. On the sizes I use the Xoar pulls a few more amps but I get a little more thrust in return.

Bottom line is that the air doesn't case what the prop is made of, it just 'sees' the shape of the blade. On smaller prop sizes wood may be at a disadvantage because glass reinforced nylon like APC use can be made thinner. The main drawback with wood overall is that they break easier.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:43 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,154 Posts
I have found I pull more amp spinning the heavier wood props. Not much, about 10% or so give or take on the size of props.

I was using a 18X6 wood prop on my Monster power 60 and did not notice any change. I was using the power point Top Flight.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHY44&P=7

I was using an APC 9X6 on a small foamy and then switch to a GWS slow flyer prop and saw a lot less amps. The slow flyer prop was 1/4 the weight of the APC.

This is all "TLAR" engineering here. so it is worth every penny you spent.

Now, if you want to watch you amps go up, try one of the plastic master airscrew props.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:29 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Kimber
Before the APCE was gifted onto humanity, I learned from electric fliers who had beaten huge odds to fly models like you still can't buy cheap from China that (A) a wooden prop was the prop, and (B) even the best wooden prop was but a blank on which to inflict hub smoothing, LE rounding, TE sharpening, blade thinning, varnish removing, balancing and, finally, re-varnishing.

After spending more time on re-working a prop than it takes for a container of ready-mades to travel from China (if Thomas the Texan Tank Engine is reading, that's a joke. Honest), one also took extremely great care in landing...

But Kimber, most vintage models have their wheels well up front, to protect their wooden props from un-guided arrivals, so get in there, whittle, sand, polish and balance a suitable wood prop and finish your model off properly

Good luck with her

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:12 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,260 Posts
Kimber, would a metal-looking prop look ok, or does it sort of "have to be" wood? This prop is just covered in aluminum tape. It's a real slap-dash job that I did to see if it worked, and it actually turned out reasonably nice. With a little more effort it could actually look really good... (nevermind the fact that I applied the tape to a wooden prop; it would work just as well with plastic).

Quote:
even the best wooden prop was but a blank on which to inflict hub smoothing, LE rounding, TE sharpening, blade thinning, varnish removing, balancing and, finally, re-varnishing.
In that order?

How'd you manage to leave the varnish on until after the blades were thinned?
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:25 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
After spending more time on re-working a prop than it takes for a container of ready-mades to travel from China (if Thomas the Texan Tank Engine is reading, that's a joke. Honest), one also took extremely great care in landing...

D
Dereck,

I consider Thomas a friend, and that was totally uncalled for. Not sure what, or IF, I consider you anymore. We're all well aware you dont like arfs, imaa models, large suvs, exposed servos, 3d flyers, shiny boxes, american football, etc. You can say your snide comments and thinly veiled passive aggressive insults are jokes all you want to, but we know the truth, Dereck, and its sad you cant respect others for enjoying what they find interesting about this wonderful hobby. Live and let live....

Kimber,

Some wood props are much better than others in terms of performance for the same dia/pitch. I had a Taylorcraft with a G23 on it some time back, and a Bolly or Zoar 18-6 would nearly hang that plane on the prop and get it airbourne in about 10-15 feet, while a Zinger 18-6 barely flew it below full throttle. It was literally like two different airplanes. I didnt measure thrust, but it had to be 3-4 lbs difference
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by David Hogue; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:46 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,169 Posts
Here is the plane in question.

David, if you have an issue with some one, do it with a PM, not
on my dime!
Please edit your post.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:40 AM
Seattle Area
Joined Aug 2007
4,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Here is the plane in question.

David, if you have an issue with some one, do it with a PM, not
on my dime!
Please edit your post.
The vintage plane in question was an ignition point for RCG and raised ire and caused hurt feelings. I can't believe you posted a pic of it. How do you feel now?

I feel we need to now post several dozen more responses regarding wood props. But now we have more information (IE a picture)

I can say right now that it won't work. THIS PARTICULAR prop shown in your picture will work, but it's a tightrope we're walking on.

Hold on, it will be a scary ride from here on out.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:50 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,523 Posts
Xoar give about %25 more thrust for less amps, test results here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=xoar+thrust
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:00 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
1,764 Posts
This thread went wonkers...

Kimber asked if a prop would work on her plane.
Most the answers drifted into theoretical "bestest" rather than examining what she asked.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:19 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,328 Posts
APCE & brown Sharpie :

Even works w/orange.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:05 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen View Post
This thread went wonkers...

Kimber asked if a prop would work on her plane.
Most the answers drifted into theoretical "bestest" rather than examining what she asked.
And this being RCG, it should have remained precisely focused on and directed to the OPs question, no digressions allowed.

Lots of threads start out as the OP seeking validation for what they know or suspect is a sub-optimal choice. I'm guessing that applies here. Kimber knew the answer before hitting 'send' on that first post. Yes, a wooden prop will work, and no, it won't be optimal. Is there really anything more to say?
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:31 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
You'll be fine. A 2 lb old timer for sport flying won't care about a slight bit of performance loss (if any really) . 3/4 of my fleet is old timers both electric and antique ignition and you are right, looks matter. I've even used some old FlowTorques from the 1940s and they worked. A nice older Top Flite paddle blade prop would look good too,peruse fleabay and you can find them.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini update on Kennedy Longhorn