HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Balr14, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:39 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
Discussion
My other hobby

Like many old people, my other hobby is gardening. I have a lot of fun with container gardening on the patio behind my garage. I've managed to grow lots of tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, squash, peppers, basil and other herbs. I can stretch the growing season from May until November, which is quite a trick in Wisconsin. I really like to grow heirloom tomatoes and unusual lettuce varieties.

Here's some pictures from last year. the first ones are from the end of May. The later ones are mid June. By the end of August, my plants are several feet above the roof of the garage and there's no room left to walk. So, I may try a different arrangement this year. I will be hauling out the containers and begin setting them up in a few weeks.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:31 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Great pictures, thanks for posting them. I'm keen to try my hand at similar gardening. We live in a sub-tropical rain forest so we have to put up bird nets to keep the parrots from raiding the gardens. Have done a bit of hydroponic gardening and want to expand on that.

How is it you "extend" the gardening season?
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Nov 2012
150 Posts
beautiful!
aphex4000 is offline Find More Posts by aphex4000
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:54 PM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
511 Posts
Brilliant. I love my veg patch. In the Far North of NZ our growing season is year round for some veg - carrots, onions, leeks. It supplies 90% of the veg the wife and I eat. Honestly there is nothing as tasty and fresh as when you've just wandered into the garden and picked it. Cheap too.
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:28 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
Great pictures, thanks for posting them. I'm keen to try my hand at similar gardening. We live in a sub-tropical rain forest so we have to put up bird nets to keep the parrots from raiding the gardens. Have done a bit of hydroponic gardening and want to expand on that.

How is it you "extend" the gardening season?
IN the spring, before the plants have grown much, I can cover them at night with plastic covers and blankets to protect them from the cold. If they are too big to cover, I can carry htem into my garage at night. I've gotten quite good trimming plants to encourage new growth. I also shift containers around to maximize their exposure to the sun as the seasons get colder and days get shorter. The wooden stand you see in the front is on casters and can be wheeled into my garage when the nights get too cold. That patio area captures a lot of heat and that helps a lot.

The containers have a reservoir about 3" deep where they get a constant supply of food and water. On a hot day (anything over 85 F) in August, some plants can empty that reservoir twice a day. On average, it's every other day. The containers are called EarthBoxes and they have a website; they ship all over. They are expensive, but worth it. They last a long time. I tried making my own from various plastics and they simply can't handle the weather, heat and sun for long, two or three years about it. The EarthBoxes are 4 - 15 years old.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannafish View Post
Brilliant. I love my veg patch. In the Far North of NZ our growing season is year round for some veg - carrots, onions, leeks. It supplies 90% of the veg the wife and I eat. Honestly there is nothing as tasty and fresh as when you've just wandered into the garden and picked it. Cheap too.
The funny thing is my wife does not like tomatoes and I grow about 16 - 20 varieties, probably 2000 - 3000 tomatoes. But she love the lettuce and I always have 4 - 6 container of lettuce growing and I start a new planting every month, the last one in early November. I was brushing snow of the last lettuce I picked this year.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:04 AM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Quote:
IN the spring, before the plants have grown much...
Thanks! Great info.

Quote:
In the Far North of NZ ...
Hey, I'm living in Napier for 3 months, NZ is a wonderful country, great people, great climate, great place!
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:50 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Ah! looks great!
I'm also 'interested' in gardening.. mainly because I'm really into food.
I make pizza, pizza dough and a lot of things like that from scratch..
And it's best if most of the items I need to make that stuff comes fresh from a garden.

I'm also very much into coffee, coffee roasting grinding espresso and home made coffee ice cream.

Gardening fits right into this stuff nicely.
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:05 PM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
683 Posts
I just stopped by to say, OMG I AM JEALOUS!

My wife and I currently live in a townhouse in a downtown area and are limited to our balcony. Last year we were able to squeeze out some heirloom cherry tomatoes, some lettuce, sweet peas, and basil. We're limited on the amount of sun we get since our balcony is on the north end of the building, we only get direct sunlight from mid-april to late august-early september sometime.

Anyways, Just wanted to say that your garden looks amazing
p0st4L is offline Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:42 PM
Newbie but coming on fast
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2012
143 Posts
Now that is what I call a container garden! Send some of those heirloom 'maters my way if you want!
KYChopper is offline Find More Posts by KYChopper