HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2001, 08:54 PM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
K&A Models L-39 Albatros

Well, I've been a busy little beaver this week. Last Friday I cracked open the L-39 box and dove in head first. I've been working on it every chance I've gotten ever since then (with the ocassional break for food).

Now, it's about ready to fly. I'm ordering a battery pack for it monday so I should be flying be mid-week.

I must say that this is a wonderful kit, the parts are first rate and it went together very easily and quickly (probably 20-25 hours).

Does anyone out there have experience with this kit? Is there anything I should be aware of before sending it skyward?

To see construction photos of this bird go to www.silentflightonline.com and enter the "ImageBase" area, select the "EDF Construction Photos" category and press "Search Now" ... You'll see a bunch of photos.

P.S. it's powered by a Kontronik "Fun 400-36" and WeMoTec Mini 480. I'll be running 10 cells at 1700mAh
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2001, 09:12 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
allen: looks good! i like the color scheme. i saw one fly at the jet rally, it looked good in the air...................gregg
Old Nov 24, 2001, 09:24 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Allen,

Great job! What a beautiful airplane.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive, I'm sure I'll have some questions.
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Nov 24, 2001, 10:16 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Nice paint job. To help preserve the bottom of the model and for general use with low wing models you can use some clear tie wraps with the ratchet block cutoff and use 3M double sided tape cut in the appropriate width to attach. Use the longer ones in segments under the fuselage and short ones for under the wing tips. If your bungee hook keeps the fuselage raised in the front then only a small piece is needed under the tail area.
Robert Wagoner is offline Find More Posts by Robert Wagoner
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 25, 2001, 12:01 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Nice L39 A guy at my club flew one last year with Ky-fan and HP200/25/4 on 8cells on the big wing - flew great. It looks like you're using the same wing no?

It should be a breeze
Happy flying!
-Haldor
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Nov 25, 2001, 07:35 AM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined May 2000
135 Posts
Looks exceptional ... nice work!!
YARDC is offline Find More Posts by YARDC
Old Nov 25, 2001, 03:28 PM
My dremel tool has no fear
Reston, VA
Joined Dec 1999
344 Posts
Your model looks really good. Here are some tips based on my experience:

Make sure the cg is right, the plans say 2 3/8" -3" but 2 3/8 is the right place

Keep the controls throws right at the recomended settings in the instructions.

This model needs a strong bungee launch, I built a ramp launcher
with a doubled up bungee

I built mine with the smaller wing so it is more sensitive than yours will be. Also I can't tell from the picture if your using the plastic inlets, I think they are important and without them the inlet edge is too sharp

Good luck with you test flight
Mark is offline Find More Posts by Mark
Old Nov 25, 2001, 03:39 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Great job Allen!! I want one now.
Steve Neill
Old Nov 25, 2001, 11:56 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Your model looks really good. Here are some tips based on my experience: Make sure the cg is right, the plans say 2 3/8" -3" but 2 3/8 is the right place

Allen >>Thanks for that, I did notice that my instructions call out a CG of 2 1/2" while the drawing calls out 3" ... I'll go with 2 3/8" - 2 1/2"

Keep the controls throws right at the recomended settings in the instructions.

Allen >>I'll do that. I just read the settings in the instructions and said to myself "Naw, I'll just take it easy on the sticks" ... thinking about it now I think I'll set them as specified .. maybe I'll set up dual rates with the recommened settings on dual rate and extreme settings on no dual rate.

This model needs a strong bungee launch, I built a ramp launcher
with a doubled up bungee

Allen >>We have a pedal launcher at work that we used for Bill's (Microrotors) F-18 model... I thought the bungee cord was kinda weak ... maybe we'll double it up.

I built mine with the smaller wing so it is more sensitive than yours will be. Also I can't tell from the picture if your using the plastic inlets, I think they are important and without them the inlet edge is too sharp

Allen >>I'm not using the plastic inlet pieces but I rounded the inlet lips real nice ... I'm pretty sure it will be fine

Good luck with you test flight

Allen >>Thanks, we'll have video tomorrow night on SilentFlightOnline (if it does not rain tomorrow)
Old Nov 26, 2001, 07:18 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
It Flew - Film at 11

The Albatros flew today, I'll be posting video clips on the SilentFlightOnline site tonight.

The thing flew great. It was a little shaky at first (or was that my thumbs?). Once I got it trimmed out and and got my brain and thumbs communicating properly it was a dream to fly. This thing is fast and maneuverable. I did a few sloppy rolls and a loop as well as a few high speed passes ... actually all passes were high speed

The amazing thing is that it flew great at 1/2 throttle. I'm thinking of trying it with 8 or 9 cell packs instead of the 10, this will save me some weight. The model weighed in at 50.3 oz which is on the heavy side of what K&A specifies.

The field we fly our of is a bit small for this type of plane so rather than try to flair on landing and risk being long (hello Bill) I just flew it in fast and landed fast, the soft wet grass brought it to a stop in about 20 feet.

Overall it was a blast and it looked great in the air, I'm going to invest in some more battery packs so I can fly more than once a day.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 08:57 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
allen: the flight looked good for a maiden. any reason you didn't use the launcher? the launch look like a knee knocker .......gregg
Old Nov 26, 2001, 11:02 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by p471701
allen: the flight looked good for a maiden. any reason you didn't use the launcher? the launch look like a knee knocker .......gregg
We tried the launcher and it just dragged it across the grass (we had exactly the same situation last week with Bill's F-18).

We are going to build a pedal launcher with much longer rails and we'll probably figure out a way to get it up off the ground a bit, that short launcher is great for light gliders but these speed demons need to be moving a bit faster before leaving the launcher. Next time we launch it I'm going to lengthen the cord on the bungee, I think it's a bit short and it's pulling the model forward and down at the same time .. it was a nervous moment when it almost kissed the ground.

I'll upload the clip of the first launch attempt to the SilentFlightOnline site .. it's pretty humorous. I think I got on the throttle a bit late to make thinks worse.
Old Nov 27, 2001, 01:43 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GlasairAllen

.. it's pretty humorous. I think I got on the throttle a bit late to make thinks worse.
One tip re. bungee launching sensorless BL systems - have the motor at a low idle before launching - a sensorless system will "hesitate" a very brief moment at the very start. If the motor is already spinning at idle power will come instantly when right stick is being applied.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Nov 27, 2001, 08:37 AM
p471701
n/a Posts
launch technique

allen: it sounds like you need more tension in the bungee. you need at least a 5g pull. we don't power up until the plane is passing the stake. an example would be on the f/a18, 30ft of 3/8" tubing doubled and streched 30 paces. i only use about 5ft of nylon cord.............gregg
Old Nov 27, 2001, 09:03 AM
Houston,TX
Joined Mar 2000
1,217 Posts
My K&A L-39 is up to 58 oz after some repairs but it still flys fine. Sounds like your bungee setup needs more pull - with 5g's you should only need a short ramp. I also don't power up until I am past the stake. I would add to Haldor's comment that if your controller has a safe arming feature (CC Dragon-35) make sure it is armed. Waiting 4 seconds with no throttle after you launched because you didn't have the throttle low enough seems like a really long time - another reason to use a powerful bungee.
ScottS is offline Find More Posts by ScottS