HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:44 AM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
Can I get this xacto blade from any Daiso around here?
And what do they call it around there?any particular thing i have to tell them if I want to find it
I have to opt for a few local options now as HK did a big mess up of my order and the whe shipement has been returned to Honk Kong :/
Btw,i shall contact Styro and ask for XPS ASAP
Time to start working up :P
Yes, they're very common in Daiso - head to the cutting tools section and you'll see one there it's probably called a "hobby knife" - Xacto is a brand name that's stuck. i've stuck a pic of the Daiso version with this post.

They're also available in Ace - and i think the ace guys actually have the Xacto brand, but it's probably gonna be a little pricey. You can always call them up before you get there, to ensure it's availability and price.
McBroody is offline Find More Posts by McBroody
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:57 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Which Daiso store did you get that from sir?
I went to the BurDubai one and wasted quite some time over it :/

EDIT:Got it at Lamcy
jkishan16 is offline Find More Posts by jkishan16
Last edited by jkishan16; Mar 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:33 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
I just recently got back from styro and got the XPS,not very happy with it,firstly it not covered with a nice smooth paper as I wanted and secondly its more like bubbly-ish
Can I use locally available foam board instead?Is that a good idea?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:40 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Anybody know any laser cutting service for foam in Dubai or Sharjah?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:00 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,551 Posts
I use foamboard regularly and it's not much different than depron. Peel the paper off as it weighs as much as the foam itself.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html
These blades from HK will be handier than the xacto blades as they are thinner and you can extend the blade out for a longer blade. Snap the end of the blade off when they get dull. May be able to get it from where you are as they are a utility knife made by Olfa. There are two versions a larger box cutter and this smaller version. Here are a couple of planes made with the foam board, or $store foam up here.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:07 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I use foamboard regularly and it's not much different than depron. Peel the paper off as it weighs as much as the foam itself.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html
These blades from HK will be handier than the xacto blades as they are thinner and you can extend the blade out for a longer blade. Snap the end of the blade off when they get dull. May be able to get it from where you are as they are a utility knife made by Olfa. There are two versions a larger box cutter and this smaller version. Here are a couple of planes made with the foam board, or $store foam up here.

Gord.
Those planes are pretty nice
Yes,Im looking at using foamboard too now
And I need WITH the paper anyways,so no loss there :P
And yes,we have plenty of blades like that at home,we simple call it 'cutter' around here :P
I got the xacto btw,so no worries there too :P
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:18 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,483 Posts
So have ANY of you guys found an inexpensive way to ship from USA to Dubai ?

thanx

Another thought
I know of a foam product called Pearl board( Taiwan). Possibly an art supply item near you.
Been itching to try it , but ...
If it's in the USA its rebranded.
I have no idea if it's acceptable for RC building.

Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Mar 16, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:19 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
So have ANY of you guys found an inexpensive way to ship from USA to Dubai ?

thanx

Another thought
I know of a foam product called Pearl board( Taiwan). Possibly an art supply item near you.
Been itching to try it , but ...
If it's in the USA its rebranded.
I have no idea if it's acceptable for RC building.

Bob
All foam here is called thermocol and they all come from Taiwan,so there really is no point asking for the name :P
You can only judge by thickness and feel of the material if its good to build with or not :/
Trust me I've travelled a lot to find the perfect depron sheet but after failing a lot of times,decided to go with the local 'foam board' and ats all it's known by here :P
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:44 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,551 Posts
The foamboard that we use for construction here is about 1/4 inch thick or 6 mm

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:50 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,909 Posts
Jack
I know a lot of our US and Canadian scratch builder's use the art supply paper backed foam board (Rediboard, $Tree brand etc) as it's really cheap and readily available. However, most remove the paper as it add's to the weight. There are lots of Youtube vids and RC Group posts explaining how to do this. I only use Depron for most of my builds and cover with coloured packing tape to add back some strength without much of a weight penalty.
Your next essential purchase will be foam safe glue. Hobbyking sell some really good contact adhesive in 2 sizes and I buy the 100 ml size http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rge_100ml.html I use 5 min epoxy for high stress areas such as motor mounts and foam safe CA for field repairs. Hot glue can be used but it's heavy and get's soft in high temperatures which is something that I imagine you experience in your part of the world
McBroody might be able to advise you regarding any locally available foam safe glues.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:48 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Hello again people
Does anyone around here know where I can get a laser (or any form of precision cutting) in Dubai for cutting foamboard?
I really tried,but I just suck at it and ended up being VERY disappointed with my horrendous job