SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:25 AM
Total Newbie
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Question
Good Locally available foam options?

Hi guys, I'm an absolute Newbie as can be seen right above my avatar and have recently had an interest for scratch-builds,the FliteTest 'FT Flyer' to be very precise...
I do know that EPP or Depron would be my best bet to build something like this but sadly I cant find any of those two listed materials around here in Dubai (Shipping foam in is just too expensive and sounds stupid,although I'm open to cheap ideas)

So now, I have foam-board locally available in the craft store nearby or I have this big foam producing company called 'Styro' nearby..
They have EPE sheets (details available HERE)
They have EPS sheets (details available HERE).These are available in different densities too so the salesman said they CAN be stronger than the XPS available (but at the same time heavier)
They have XPS sheets (details available HERE)

If you can look around their website and give me other ideas it would be great too
But yea,the MAIN question here is what would be my BEST option to build my first scratch-build?(Im looking for the long run too)
Do I have any other companies that do cheap shipping to the UAE?
And is starting with a scratch-build the way to go?
jkishan16 is online now Find More Posts by jkishan16
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:12 AM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
hey there!

I've just recently gotten back into RC - used to live near Nad Al Sheba and went there on occasion with my EasyStar + an old 6mm depron scratchbuilt (RIP). Moved to SHJ now, so not many trips down to the club. Do plan to go back there and maiden my Bixler / Quadcopter one of these days!

It's funny you mention Styro - i saw one of their branded vehicles the other day - and figured "must call them to check on EPP/EPS foam availability"

Good to see a fellow scratchbuilder in the region! How're you planning on cutting the foam cores? (Daiso's got a cheapie hand held Foam Cutter that you may want to look at)
McBroody is online now Find More Posts by McBroody
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:20 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Im planning on using a plain knife
BTW...I know NOTHING of scratch-builds,so yea,just wanted a cheap way to get into the hobby have THIS knife coming in all the way from HK for me :P
But yes,Any way I can get the required EPP or Depron around here?Or next best alternative around here?

Do tell me when you go down for your maiden,would Love to see the Bixler Fly,That would be my first plane,but finances are tight :P
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
That's an Xacto knife - i'f i'm not mistaken - got my set from Daiso for 7AED! - along with spare blades (another 7 bucks)

It's brilliant for straight cuts, but after a sheet or two you may need a new blade. (especially if they're laminated)

drop me a DM when you're gonna maiden your scratchbuilt craft - i'll join you!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:28 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
I won't have a scratch built if I don't know any locations to get the material....
That's the whole point of this thread Sir...
So if you know any places I can get some decent foam sheets to build with,please let me know ASAP
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
I was looking at the foams at Styro and the xps looks like a good candidate.without holding it in your hand though ???.Whatever you chose laminating it with packing tape will increase rigidity.
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:45 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
So,XPS is my best option right now?
And my second best contender would be....(Foamboard,High density EPS or EPE)?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:37 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
I'm sure others have tried working with all of them,maybe keep searching here on RCG to find info.Is it possible to get a sheet or more of each,that way you can use the best where needed.Once you start building it's hard to stop,so I wouldn't worry about wasting any.
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:04 PM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
So I really would appreciate other's opinion here who may have used these foam types and recommend the best and second best option for me....
Don't wanna snap the plane in half on my first landing
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
well, personally - i think you should start with Depron - it comes in 3mm (rarely found) or here in the UAE usually in 6mm, available at most stationaries - and there are a lot of plans out there for scratchbuilt foamie "floaters". A single 6mm sheet can be had for between 10-20AED - so your airframe cost won't exceed 50AED.

Then when you've got experience putting the airframe together - and ironing out the kinks in your workflow - you could move on to EPS/EPP. if you do decide to go with foam check out this little floater >> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780543 - i say this because, as far as i know you'll need a decent setup with a hot wire/ CNC foam cutter to get out a good airframe.

Depron, on the other hand - is simpler to cut with xacto / hobby blades.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:46 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Where can I get Depron here Sir?
Im after the 6mm length itself?
Firstly the local guys here dont even know what depron is...so if you could tell me somewhere I can get Depron it would be GREAT
Even in Sharjah is fine
And is XPS the same as depron?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:54 AM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
You'll be able to get your hands on depron in Dubai Library Distributors (just ask for "foam sheets") http://www.dubailibrary.com/home.php

and yes, 5 or 6mm is usually the standard thickness available here. there's tons of stuff on youtube - this for example >>

Cutting Depron Kits Part 1 (5 min 13 sec)

You'll need to print out your airplane "plans" on A1 size sheets - and go from there. And yes, XPS/EPS are types of depron, as far as i know!

If you've got spare cash lying around, check out http://www.ultimate-hobby.com/ - they're located in Garhoud area- near 4x4 motors.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:14 AM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBroody View Post
You'll be able to get your hands on depron in Dubai Library Distributors (just ask for "foam sheets") http://www.dubailibrary.com/home.php

and yes, 5 or 6mm is usually the standard thickness available here. there's tons of stuff on youtube - this for example >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6TiH...x-o1iw&index=4

You'll need to print out your airplane "plans" on A1 size sheets - and go from there. And yes, XPS/EPS are types of depron, as far as i know!

If you've got spare cash lying around, check out http://www.ultimate-hobby.com/ - they're located in Garhoud area- near 4x4 motors.

Regarding Ultimate Hobby,you should state LOTS of extra cash lying around,and no they don't have the sheets I require either,so no point there...so is it good if I just get some XPS from Styro and cover it with tape....good idea?
Second option is Dubai libraries distributors and third option is EPS from Styro again?
Please tell me if my order of preferences is correct in the stated order?

Edit...just called Dubai library and they only have foam boards.....so yea,not such a good idea,is it?
Last edited by jkishan16; Feb 25, 2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:01 PM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
So I really would appreciate other's opinion here who may have used these foam types and recommend the best and second best option for me....
Don't wanna snap the plane in half on my first landing
that is the beauty of Scratch builds my friend, as long as the electronics survive you just put the airframe in sickbay till its back in one peice then go again!
I have personally destroyed 3 of mine this last weekend and rebuilt 4, thats new math btw

good luck
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:32 PM
Total Newbie
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBroody View Post
That's an Xacto knife - i'f i'm not mistaken - got my set from Daiso for 7AED! - along with spare blades (another 7 bucks)

It's brilliant for straight cuts, but after a sheet or two you may need a new blade. (especially if they're laminated)

drop me a DM when you're gonna maiden your scratchbuilt craft - i'll join you!
Can I get this xacto blade from any Daiso around here?
And what do they call it around there?any particular thing i have to tell them if I want to find it
I have to opt for a few local options now as HK did a big mess up of my order and the whe shipement has been returned to Honk Kong :/
Btw,i shall contact Styro and ask for XPS ASAP
Time to start working up :P