HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:22 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Self adhesive - interesting. Wonder how long the adhesive will hold up against the elements?
I

Boomer
That sounds like a likeky candidate for upgrading or make sure that you have a can of 3M's photomount spray handy.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking it will need upgrading...(the hatch cover). have noticed on mine one of the screws that holds in the servo mounts / tray etc needs some further 'screwing in' as the head of the screw will interfere with the hatch cover anyway...

Maybe a few things slipping through the 'quality control' department at Joysway.
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:22 PM
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
Hey guys good comments!
A few things, if you are using the hatch supplied, simply on the adhesive side cut a line through the tape about 10 mm from the edge and only peel off the non stick film around the perimeter , works on the df s we have tried!
Good to see an entry level kit with deck hardware that is stainless steel not chromed steel!
The scratch along the bow is on the 10 kits I have been through, it happens in production and not doubt later boats won't have it.
Getting the receiver in and out will drive you nuts, don't take it out of its hidy hole!
Be careful also not to muck up the little hand set as we have no instructions in the kits fullstop and certainly no ideas on binding the handset to recievwr, is easily upset!
All in all , congratulations to the design team it is a great basis to get more people sailing!
Hope to sail it a bit more when not sailing the gospectre650 Rg-65 and the thunder tiger trimaran sitting in the corner also!
Oh and real boats!!!!
Go sailing rg-65s!!!!
gospectredotcom is offline Find More Posts by gospectredotcom
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Andrew am I reading what you said right... you actually looked at 10 kits and they all had the scratch along the bow (gouged near the bow bumper) and extending back whilst getting lighter in severity. I know my shot isn't very good of the are I can take a better one just snapped a few quick photo's in a min or so to show people on here how the boat comes.

And yes the receiver is a 'tight squeeze'.

I contacted the store.. they said they were happy to replace the boat.. but if they are all like it... what's the point. They also noted the no instructions and have been in contact with Joysway apparentley joysway are sending instructions out (they will have some in about a week apparently).

And still interested in getting a 650 from you at some point. Just lept in on this one when I saw the price.. seemed very reasonable to what is being quoted in some overseas locations.
Last edited by Merkava; Feb 26, 2013 at 02:08 AM. Reason: add new image
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:07 AM
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
Yes all bows on port side seem to have the Same marking, looks to be plastic chilling or bunching in tool, or tool face.
They will fix it I m sure!
Let me know when you are ready for a 650, fleets are building in Australia finally!!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:08 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Now here's a bit of a loaded question for you Andrew... How's the Dragon Force go against your 650?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:23 AM
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
Haha. I expect the boat that the production dragon force was copied on would be competitive against the 650, top 650s seem very close in racing like ioms.
My personal 650 with flat sails against the team 650s is a long way off the pace but sails well.
Likewise a dragon force with keel stepped mast ( current on moves at vang fitting alot) ,new sails, sheets and tweeks and will no doubt sail very well, new keel also.
It is still a pain having to peel open the hatch to get inside, that's why the 650 uses a screw top pot on all models except the 650z.
Hope to have lots of DFs and 650s racing, sailing will be the winner!
Go rg 65s!!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:40 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospectredotcom View Post
Haha. I expect the boat that the production dragon force was copied on would be competitive against the 650, top 650s seem very close in racing like ioms.
My personal 650 with flat sails against the team 650s is a long way off the pace but sails well.
Likewise a dragon force with keel stepped mast ( current on moves at vang fitting alot) ,new sails, sheets and tweeks and will no doubt sail very well, new keel also.
It is still a pain having to peel open the hatch to get inside, that's why the 650 uses a screw top pot on all models except the 650z.
Hope to have lots of DFs and 650s racing, sailing will be the winner!
Go rg 65s!!

My thoughts exactly... A boat like the Dragon Force is a long way overdue.. (baring the MM). something that's affordable and that people / newcomers can pick up and go sailing with. As they progress they can add some extras too (rigs, sails, keel / ballast etc) and for the Dragon Force if wanting to stay within the DF one design sub class, then just your own sails, lines etc - no keel changes allowed apparently). Think many other manufacturers like Thunder Tiger, Kyosho, Tamiya, ProBoat... etc.. etc.. Have kind of missed the mark to be honest.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:14 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
Have you any thoughts on the material used for the running and standing rigging? It was another point brought up by some on here. Overall, it seems a bargain at the price, with any shortcomings (e.g. lack of instructions for the electronics and the bow blemish) easily rectified. The hatch is a question of wait and see.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:30 AM
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2006
565 Posts
Seems that they have rushed this first batch out of the factory just to get some on the water, cant belive they have sent the boat out with a naffed bow and no instructions

Its not so bad for people that already use rc, but for a dad and son or just genral person that pops into a model shop, might look at the hull and get put off by the finish at 150ish, most normal non rc peeps are put off by 100 models so having something that dosnt look 100% has surely gota be bad

Will be intresting to hear if your rgs leak? or have anything else wrong, when i got me rtr racing magic, it leaked and had to change alot about it

Honestly im not the best people when it comes to the rg, dont like the look of it, dont like the size of it, but if everyone in are club buys one then will have to get one... On a happyer note, cant wait to see what you guys think of them and all the changes, maybe some nicer colours would help with the look of the thing

Dan
offshore1987 is offline Find More Posts by offshore1987
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:32 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
yeah.. it's really not a great start from Joysway on this one. Gospectre would understand the problems of manufacture (he makes kits himself) I for one am leaning on the not so happy about it. Especially if it's fixed, kind of means everyone who purchased early kind of gets burned on the deal.

In two minds at the moment. I am going to send a photo to the retailer and see if they can inspect their other kits. If they are all the same.. I may just return the thing and seek a refund, and wait and see if Joysway get it right or the other option keep and fill and fair it then repaint (this in itself can open up a whole mess of problems with differing paint types etc reacting with each other).

Also agree about the manuals (instructions) not really acceptable for a product to go out with both cosmetic flaws and minus manuals etc. Would have been smarter to remedy both before the product went to market.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:36 AM
Joined Dec 2009
72 Posts
This recently on the RCYachts website:
"I have recently met with the Joysway team at The Nuremburg Toy Fair and have the following updates:
We have agreed on a number of modifications to improve the construction of the Dragon Force RG65 hull and rigs which they are now changing and we believe production will start late March/April. We didn’t anticipate the shipping time of approx. 6 weeks so we now expect delivery in May 2013.
We also discussed two additional lower aspect shroudless rigs and sails plus spares for the yacht of which they have agreed – more information will be available shortly"

Are these pre-production versions at reduced prices?
pchicken is offline Find More Posts by pchicken
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2006
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
yeah.. it's really not a great start from Joysway on this one. Gospectre would understand the problems of manufacture (he makes kits himself) I for one am leaning on the not so happy about it. Especially if it's fixed, kind of means everyone who purchased early kind of gets burned on the deal.

In two minds at the moment. I am going to send a photo to the retailer and see if they can inspect their other kits. If they are all the same.. I may just return the thing and seek a refund, and wait and see if Joysway get it right or the other option keep and fill and fair it then repaint (this in itself can open up a whole mess of problems with differing paint types etc reacting with each other).

Also agree about the manuals (instructions) not really acceptable for a product to go out with both cosmetic flaws and minus manuals etc. Would have been smarter to remedy both before the product went to market.

Sorry to ask but what part of the world are you from? Just trying to work out where they have been released

Dan
offshore1987 is offline Find More Posts by offshore1987
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:17 AM
United Kingdom, Stourbridge
Joined Nov 2012
247 Posts
these boats are all early production models. these have been sent to an australian discount hobby store. also to the RG65 association chairman in france as a test boat. the final production ones will be available world wide in early may

regards

Mark
Dragon force Designer
mark dicks is offline Find More Posts by mark dicks
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Australia