HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

RC Airogrip Airopult Safety Restraint - Review

A majority of accidents happen in or near the pits. Here is an excellent flight line accessory to secure your plane, without assistance, while you start your engine.

Splash

Introduction

At one time or another, every R/C pilot has had to request an assistant to hold his plane while he was starting it both for safety reasons and to keep the plane from moving backward or forward during/after the starting process. Our club field, like many, has an elevated starting bench (with restraints), but still requires someone to hold the plane.

R/C Airogrip's safety restraint is an excellent flight line accessory to secure your plane, without assistance, while you start your engine. The Airopult will hold the plane from moving forward after starting and will keep it from rolling backwards as you apply your electric starter. With the plane firmly secured, you can safely move to the rear of the plane, and when the coast is clear, permit the plane to move forward under its own power. Or you can move it by holding the tail of the plane and walk it out to the runway.

It appears to me this product has undergone much research and engineering and is a top quality production.

Manufacturer: RC Airogrip SL
Price: EUROS €130 including postage (Approx £106 UK/ $172 USA/ $165 AUS)

Kit Contents

My Airopult arrived in a relatively small box that measured 28.5” x 6.5” x 4” and weighed 7.78 pounds. It was very well packaged, and everything was included, with the exception of some tent stakes (the Airopult has to be secured to the ground, and concrete, asphalt, grass, or dirt may not all need the same restraining devices, so the choice is left up to the consumer). You will need at least two of whatever choice you require for your setup, and a hammer to secure the pegs. The hole for the stake is 1 cm in diameter or about ¾”. I have found the front two stakes are not necessary, but I still ‘nail’ them into the ground.

Assembly

The Airopult has a ‘V’ arrangement. The tail of the airplane is placed near the vertex. Here is also where your foot (pedal) control and hold-down stake are located. By loosening the red knob, the ‘V’ angle can be opened up to the desired angle, and then the knob should be re-tightened. By raising and locking the rear hinged and padded restraints, your plane cannot move forward.

You now have to add a restraining arm and slide the forward fasteners restraints to accommodate your model’s landing gear. The restraining arm will be located BEHIND the landing gear to prevent the plane from moving backwards when you push your starter against the engine.

You have 4 extension arms (two on each side) that will permit you to secure your plane if its distance from the front of the horizontal stabilizer to the rear of the landing gear is 1.3 meters or less (about 51”). That ought to cover the vast majority of models. Each extension arm simply slides into the previous one. Most of the time only two extensions (one on each side) were needed, but the other two are there if the need arises.

The model is restrained from moving forward by the tail restrictors and cannot move rearward because the front restraining devices. To start the plane, move to the rear and (with your foot) slide the RED indicator to the right. It will show a green color. Step on the foot pedal, and immediately the rear restraining devices (which are spring-loaded) will fall forward and permit the plane forward. If the tail feathers touch the front retainers, they also will fall forward.

It's safe, simple and it works! I’ve seen many devices that hold your plane by the tail, but this is the first one I’ve seen that prevents your plane from moving forward AND backward. The website has some video that I recommend you view a couple to watch the Airopult in action.

This device also has an application for electric planes. It will secure the plane while plugging in those electrons. More than once I’ve seen a motor go from ‘dead’ to full throttle in an instant. Not saying this has happened to me, but perhaps a smaller version is needed in my workshop just in case it should. (cough cough)

One configuration did give us a minor problem with a small PT-19 electric. When the rear restraining arms would fall, they would fall on the wing, but because the arms are so well protected, no damage occurred. You will need about 15” distance between the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer and the trailing edge of the wing if you use the foot pedal release.

I played with my Airopult by trying different planes to see if I could come up with an arrangement for which they hadn't accounted. The Airopult secured all planes I tried - large and small. Then I came across a plane that has a very wide landing gear, a World Models “Sport Wings 90” by The WingsMaker. I placed the forward restraining device against the rear of the wing instead of the landing gear, and BINGO! It worked! I guess I was too lazy to spread the two arms out to secure the landing gear with the forward restraints.

For those of you who fly with nose gear, Airopult has that covered for you as well. The front retaining devices have a wire extension that can be secured behind the front landing gear strut to keep the plane from rolling backward. With a plane designed with a nose gear, the tail feathers are positioned much higher than planes with tail wheels, so the rear retaining devices are very tall, measuring a full 15” off the ground.

We tried a variety of airplanes – from a trainer to a 3D machine - and all went well. The Airopult performed as advertised and impressed everyone there! The only problem was the use of the foot pedal. For some reason, if the guys would very gently press the pedal, only one of the retraining arms would fall. When they would step normally on the pedal, both arms fell effortlessly. As they became more familiar with the unit, both restraining arms would fall and they could taxi to the runway.

Conclusion

Who needs a unit like this? I would say almost every modeler who is interested in safety should. And every modeler who has been sent to the Emergency Room because their ‘secured’ plane lurched forward and inflicted some prop strikes surely would. With your plane secured in the Airopult, you do not need anyone to hold you plane.

I was impressed with the instructions. They state that they should accompany the unit if the Airopult is ever sold or loaned to another individual.

My son flies large planes, and I am his pit crew when I visit him. Guess who gets the honor of holding his (150cc engine) plane while he starts and runs it up? The normal procedure is to stand in front of the horizontal stabilizer. That’s the easy part. Now try stepping OVER the fuselage so he can taxi! With the Airopult, I will get to stand to the side and watch – I like that!

Aa carrying bag would be a nice addition, but for the time being, mine is stored in the box it was shipped in and safely tucked into our club’s storage unit.

This product does work as described and if you feel the cost is too high, estimate the cost of one trip to your local ER. I am going to ‘store’ my Airopult at the flying field since common sense sometimes gets lost in the rush and bustle of the flight line. Perhaps this item would be a great addition to your club!

I can honestly say I like this product and will be using it on a regular basis!

Pluses

•System works as advertised •Simple to use •Accommodates the majority of airplanes being flown •A REAL safety device •High Quality materials used •Automatic 'reset' when pedal is stepped on.

Minuses

•Some of the connectors can be hard to remove because the ball link has to be pressed in so far (but that's also a good thing!) •Cost might prevent individuals from purchasing - recommend club purchase in that case.

Last edited by Angela H; Feb 28, 2013 at 06:00 AM..

Discussion

Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:44 PM
United States, WI, Kenosha
Joined Aug 2004
72 Posts
Nice review. I have one of these and it is fantastic. Works great. Solid workmanship and materials. Now just waiting a solution for my larger planes.
bhouin is online now Find More Posts by bhouin
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:05 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,116 Posts
That makes two of us
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Midwest Stik Build - finished!
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:47 PM
Spain, Valencian Community, Almoradí
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Larger planes

Hi Bob

Glad to see you are using your unit. You can use the Airopult to hold the larger planes by using an extra set of front extension arms.

In some cases the rudders on the larger planes overhang the pedal mechanism (something which won't happen on the larger Pro Unit which is in the prototype stage at the moment) but there are ways of overcoming this.

If you look at the video on our website from Ed Brazina you can see that he has put a small piece of plastic just in front of the pedal for the rear wheel to sit on which raises the rudder clear of the pedal mechanism.

It seems to work ok he is just a bit more careful when depressing the pedal.

We have tested the standard unit with 150cc planes held in place with two 6" nails with no problems
RC Airogrip is offline Find More Posts by RC Airogrip
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:53 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,344 Posts
That does look pretty nice for a restraint system. But when I saw the "aeropult" word I get visions of a catapult launcher too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Frank Tiano used that in a review he wrote about the Airopult you can see it on our website
Site Sponsor
Last edited by RC Airogrip; Mar 04, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Aug 2004
72 Posts
It works great on my 1/5 warbirds. On my 50cc extra the rudder and tailwheel interfere with the pedal. I will a have to look at the video. It seems this issue couple be removed by lengthening the distance from the pedal to the stab arms. This would still work properly for smaller planes

That is really all that i would ask as a change to the unit. Oh that and a nice carry bag/case.

Since I purchased this my old restraint is left in the trailer.

Regards,
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Airogrip View Post
Hi Bob

Glad to see you are using your unit. You can use the Airopult to hold the larger planes by using an extra set of front extension arms.

In some cases the rudders on the larger planes overhang the pedal mechanism (something which won't happen on the larger Pro Unit which is in the prototype stage at the moment) but there are ways of overcoming this.

If you look at the video on our website from Ed Brazina you can see that he has put a small piece of plastic just in front of the pedal for the rear wheel to sit on which raises the rudder clear of the pedal mechanism.

It seems to work ok he is just a bit more careful when depressing the pedal.

We have tested the standard unit with 150cc planes held in place with two 6" nails with no problems
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:31 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,116 Posts
report sent
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:55 PM
winchester, UK
Joined Jul 2010
195 Posts
Nicely written review...

I cant help but think that this is overkill though.

My two rods driven into the ground cost about £0.50 (<1$), and I dont really like the idea of pushing the plane back onto rods to start it... I often need to apply my starter very firmly, so wouldnt want to put that kind of pressure over such a small area.
jimmyhorns is offline Find More Posts by jimmyhorns
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:37 PM
Joined Aug 2004
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyhorns View Post
Nicely written review...

I cant help but think that this is overkill though.

My two rods driven into the ground cost about £0.50 (<1$), and I dont really like the idea of pushing the plane back onto rods to start it... I often need to apply my starter very firmly, so wouldnt want to put that kind of pressure over such a small area.
I have found this to be better on the airframe when starting. The pressure is on the landing gear in a front to rear manner as opposed to pressing down from the top. I had used a tail trap restraint and I personally prefer this.

Not discounting your take just providing my opinion.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Tailskid 2, Your son's plane would go in the standard Airopult but like bhouin's one you would just have to lift the tail wheel up on a plate so that the rudder will clear the pedal.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by RC Airogrip; Mar 31, 2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: needed to address it to someone in particular
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:52 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,116 Posts
Got it! Thanks for the update....I really like the Airopult!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2014, 07:09 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,116 Posts
We have had some large planes ~50cc use our (now club's) restraining device (Airopult) and it is working out great!

I was thinking of some guys out there in the 'boonies' and don't really have the proper arrangement to start some of those larger planes - man this is the right ticket for them.
RCG Plus Member