HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:46 PM
Turin (Italy)
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
Help!
Error: too far from Home

Today, after reaching for the first time with My OSD Pro 430 meters distance from me (see first picture), suddenly the normal flight data disappeared and the menu appeared (see second picture).
When I tried to exit from the menu, the error message was : too far from home.
Then i turned back my plane in direction home and the normal flight data appeared back.
Do you have any idea about this ?
supermat is offline Find More Posts by supermat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:38 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermat View Post
Today, after reaching for the first time with My OSD Pro 430 meters distance from me (see first picture), suddenly the normal flight data disappeared and the menu appeared (see second picture).
Then i turned back my plane in direction home and the normal flight data appeared back.
you have to be on the ground to set that.
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:34 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,046 Posts
Your issue is covered in this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post18493744

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=12

Geoff

Quote:
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:13 PM
Turin (Italy)
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
thanks,
Btw I do not see how to deactivate my Hitec Aurora9 Aux1 Failsafe capabilities and I did not fully understand which solution I should adopt in my configuration reading the 2 links above.
The only thing I found, familiar with my issue, has been in the Radio configuration of my OSD Pro menu in the Disable PCM Glitch Detection feature.
Do you think Disable PCM Glitch Detection could solve my problem ?
many thanks
supermat
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:09 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
thanks,
Btw I do not see how to deactivate my Hitec Aurora9 Aux1 Failsafe capabilities and I did not fully understand which solution I should adopt in my configuration reading the 2 links above.
The only thing I found, familiar with my issue, has been in the Radio configuration of my OSD Pro menu in the Disable PCM Glitch Detection feature.
Do you think Disable PCM Glitch Detection could solve my problem ?
many thanks
supermat
Hi supermat,
i was one of the et users who claimed the erratic menu pop ups.
this issue was solved in the newer firmware releases, but i donīt remember exactly when ... above version 10.xx (windows version) or so.

if you get such menu windows i guess that your rc get short failsafes combined with different stored position of the aux switches.
the option "pcm glitch detection" will not help you, because the aurora is a 2,4ghz system and signal glitches occur only on pcm receivers.

to prevent the switching to menus during failsafe ... bring the switches for aux1 and aux 2 in those position where they where during the failsafe store procedure before starting the plane.

to prevent failsaves: have a look on your rc antennas. mount one vertical and one horizontal on the plane. bring your transmitter antenna to the vertical position. best way to mount the antennas: feed the antennas in a plastic tube and fix the tubes to the plane semi-elastic...like the picture how i mounted the pitot-tube http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...559%5B1%5D.jpg http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...558%5B1%5D.jpg

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:03 AM
Turin (Italy)
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
Thank you thint1 for your accurate explaination, I have just one more doubt:
What do you mean with "Failsafe store position before starting the plane" ?
Does it mean that at each and every start of my RC and receiver the HITEC software determines the failsafe position depending on current physical position of my RC leverages ?
Kind Regards
Supermat
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:07 AM
Turin (Italy)
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
GOPRO & Osd Pro FPV Twinstars Dogfight over Turin (17 min 44 sec)

You can see what happened in my Video at 6 min 36 sec.
OSD Came back after 30 secs.
It happened again around 10 min and 00 sec, but it has been just for few secs...
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:49 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Thank you thint1 for your accurate explaination, I have just one more doubt:
What do you mean with "Failsafe store position before starting the plane" ?
Does it mean that at each and every start of my RC and receiver the HITEC software determines the failsafe position depending on current physical position of my RC leverages ?
Kind Regards
Supermat
Hi,
sorry, i donīt know how the binding/failsafe procedure on a aurora works
normally the positions of the output channels are stored once ... remember in which positions your switches where during this procedure and bring them in this position before you start your plane.

which version do you use? as i wrote before ... this issue was solved in late 2011. i use 10.38 all 2012 and never see this glitch again.

cu Thomas
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:23 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GByZLnINrWM

You can see what happened in my Video at 6 min 36 sec.
OSD Came back after 30 secs.
It happened again around 10 min and 00 sec, but it has been just for few secs...
Hi,
thatīs not a bug ... itīs a feature
if you switch to a menu, the overlay returns to the flight-screen after app. 30 seconds if no inputs are made.

watching the vid i recognize that your black and white levels have a mismatch. you have white lines. try to set a black level of 4 or higher and a white level of 7 or lower.

cu Thomas
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:22 AM
Turin (Italy)
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
Thanks Thint1,
Now I've got the point (
failsafe.wmv (7 min 56 sec)
)!!
I really appreciated also the hint for the camera white lines ... i knew I had to solve it but i didn't feel like to spend time in testing it (... I'm a little bit lazy ...) now I know how to fix it in a second.
I'm going to post new videos in the weekend (utube channel), if you want you can follow me or take a look from time to time.
Target is to reach 1000mts distance shortly.
ciao
Supermat
Last edited by supermat; Feb 28, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:47 AM
Turin (Italy)
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
Following above suggestion I've been able to reach 714 mts ... I'm wondering how much I can push further with my Aurora9 and Optima9 receiver.
Here my Video
GOPRO Osd Pro Flight over Langhe Vineyards 3 - Beyond Visual Range (12 min 24 sec)
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:38 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Following above suggestion I've been able to reach 714 mts ... I'm wondering how much I can push further with my Aurora9 and Optima9 receiver.
Here my Video
Hi supermat,

o.k. i see no more "menu glitches" thatīs fine

your aurora should easily do up to 3km. but if you are going to push the limits of the rc-link ... i would recommend to improve rth. watching your vid i missed the ahi. therefore my advice: invest in the "guardian" and set up rth. with this "life insurance" i pushed my plane equipped with stock spektrum rc to 10kmīs.
my plane is a little bit "special". iīve done a lot to prevent hf-influences. but my friend reaches 4,5kmīs with a futaba/eagle tree equipped "raptor" without those enhancements.

cu Thomas
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:57 AM
Turin (Italy)
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
dear Thint1,
- I'm planning to activate the RTH functionality shortly on my eagletree system, what is not clear to me is the reason for which you are associating the activation of the RTH feature with the AHI one (I was assuming that the AHI is just an additional feature for artificial horizon, but I can return to home also without it and simply programming my OSD PRO RTH functionalities)
- concerning interferences, yes, I'm fighting with the same issue: using my standard 2.4 Ghz system and trying to use a new set of antennas ( the new Bluebeam Whip Antenna 4 lobe Rx with the related 3 lobe on the Tx side) I was litteraly killing the RC signal after less than 200 meters with 1.3 Ghz transmission at 1500 mW. So I've ordered from RMRC this pass band filter that should definitively solve the problem (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=484) ... or at least I hope.
If it will not solve the issue I will have to choose between reducing the power of the Video TX signal or increase power /change frequency on the RC side (if I want to use my new antennas that at the moment lie on the table waiting for the filter..)
Please let me know your opinion.
Best Regards
Supermat
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:30 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
dear Thint1,
- I'm planning to activate the RTH functionality shortly on my eagletree system, what is not clear to me is the reason for which you are associating the activation of the RTH feature with the AHI one (I was assuming that the AHI is just an additional feature for artificial horizon, but I can return to home also without it and simply programming my OSD PRO RTH functionalities)
- concerning interferences, yes, I'm fighting with the same issue: using my standard 2.4 Ghz system and trying to use a new set of antennas ( the new Bluebeam Whip Antenna 4 lobe Rx with the related 3 lobe on the Tx side) I was litteraly killing the RC signal after less than 200 meters with 1.3 Ghz transmission at 1500 mW. So I've ordered from RMRC this pass band filter that should definitively solve the problem (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=484) ... or at least I hope.
If it will not solve the issue I will have to choose between reducing the power of the Video TX signal or increase power /change frequency on the RC side (if I want to use my new antennas that at the moment lie on the table waiting for the filter..)
Please let me know your opinion.
Best Regards
Supermat
Hi Supermat,
the guardian is more than the ahi in the display he gives full 2-axis stabilsation to your plane.
iīve struggled around with rth and ahi (using the thermopile-sensor) and get medium results. rth works only with a absolut stable flying glider. at vimeo i posted some short vidīs ... user "Thint1".
but with the guardian rth works like a charm, even on my actual plane (flying wing) the autonomous flight is super-smooth. meanwhile i fly the plane during "manual mode" also with the same gains of stabilisation because itīs more fun to watch the landscape than struggling the controls.

normally a lowpass-filter should reduce influences between video and rc. additionally you should separate your vid-tx and rc-rx as far as possible. each on one wingtip is the best solution (but needs a lot of connections to the rc-rx). the video on the wingtip and rc in the belly is the absolute minimum you should do.
one hint: more is less if you reduce the video transmission power youīll reduce the influences on rc. 500mW is more than enough ... with circular antennas this power is good for 10km with a very good quality .... much more than your rc will do.
this is my personal opinion (iīm a preferrer of low-power setups) ... iīve done my 10kmīs with 400mW/5,8GHz on a 5-turn helix and a full stock 100mW spektrum - rc. other may write that a high power video combined with a lrs rc is the way to go.
check your video tx/rx to use a lower frequency. at 1060 to 1080MHz youīll have no influences of your rc. this frequency-band is illegal in europe, itīs reserved for flight radio beacon (radiofaro), but there are no stations known which use this frequency in the eu.

cu Thomas
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:44 PM
Turin (Italy)
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
Yes I think that for the VTx part you are right... less is better.
Concerning AHI, would you recommend the Guardian stabilization expander for Osd Pro? that's the one you use right ?
In the video below you can take a look at my configuration. I think that for Twinstar this is the best solution concerning distances between VTx , RC Rx and GPS.

Let me know your opinion.
Many Thanks
Supermat

Twinstar FPV airplane details (1 min 44 sec)