Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:43 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
450 Tail rotor hub failure

Hi all.
I was given a T-rex 450 with almost all the "bling" upgrades there is, full metal head ect.
Here is my hassle though, I have now had 2 failures of the pivot bolt shearing of that holds on the tail rotor grip. Luckely both times no damage to the heli.

One was a full metal unit the other was the plastic one, same failure on both - the 2mm bolt lost it's head and the grip departed the hub.

Is this a common thing with 450 T-rex?? Could the rotor speed be to high for the hub assembly?
I can easly get a replacement of the whole unit fro HK, just wondering what would cause the repeat failures.
Any ideas or advice please.

Thanx

Theuns
T. van Vuuren is offline Find More Posts by T. van Vuuren
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:54 AM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. van Vuuren View Post
Hi all.
I was given a T-rex 450 with almost all the "bling" upgrades there is, full metal head ect.
Here is my hassle though, I have now had 2 failures of the pivot bolt shearing of that holds on the tail rotor grip. Luckely both times no damage to the heli.

One was a full metal unit the other was the plastic one, same failure on both - the 2mm bolt lost it's head and the grip departed the hub.

Is this a common thing with 450 T-rex?? Could the rotor speed be to high for the hub assembly?
I can easly get a replacement of the whole unit fro HK, just wondering what would cause the repeat failures.
Any ideas or advice please.

Thanx

Theuns
Are you getting alot of vibration in the tail? It could be causing the bolt to fatigue and break.
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:05 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
190 Posts
No not realy allot more than I would expect. I didn't build this heli, maybe someone before me somehow damaged the bolts by over tightning them....

I will buy a new complete unit from HK, was just wondering if there are any particular brands I should rather avoid?

Theuns
T. van Vuuren is offline Find More Posts by T. van Vuuren