Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
66 Posts
Discussion
Health Warning on box of my new foamie

I recently purchased a Waco YMF-5D from Nitroplanes. It came with a sticker on the box stating that it contained chemicals known in CA to cause cancer and other reproductive harm. Can anyone tell me what exactly this is referring to?
capeflyer is offline Find More Posts by capeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:35 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
This may help: Proposition 65.
I suspect that as long as you don't eat your Plane and wash your hands after touching it you will be OK...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,396 Posts
it is our state pastime to be paranoid about everything and advertise our paranoia to other states whether they like it or not

ps - plus that way you know the product is authentic Californian. if its not regulated, it probably didn't come from here.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:48 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,409 Posts
We got a box of wooden stir sticks at Hobby Lobby, the craft store
and it has the same warning.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:55 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,280 Posts
Yep, adult males flying toy airplanes tends to inhibit your reproductive chances
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:03 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
yep, adult males flying toy airplanes tends to inhibit your reproductive chances :d
lol
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:26 AM
Joined Feb 2013
66 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks! I recently purchased a Dubro product that had the same warning concerning levels of lead. I lived in CA for five years; maybe the paranoia rubbed off on me; hope whatever is in this plane does not! Thanks for the proposition 65 info; the list described is quite extensive!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:41 AM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,178 Posts
You just have to love the nanny state. Everything is bad for you. Soon enough we will become just like the move "Demolition man". Anything that is fun or tastes good will be banned.

It could be as simple as one color of the ink uses a chemical on the rather long list and it gets flagged.

We can not get balsarite any more. It has bad things in it.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:43 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
Enough with the politics...
Is it too much sometimes? Maybe...but the alternative- for profit organizations with no regard or incentive to make safe products- is far worse.

Capeflyer,
Does it name the specific chemicals?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
66 Posts
Nope, it does not list specific chemicals; however, I have a message out to Dynam to see what exactly is the offender and where on the aircraft it might be. One person has suggested it might be the foam off-gassing; which could be rectified by letting the planes sit out in the shed for a month, or by sealing the foam with a clear coating. The other suspect would be lead in the wiring insulation. I'll let you know what I find out from Dynam.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:29 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,728 Posts
The Movie "Demolition Man" LOL
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
i'd rather have nanny state required warning labels over radioactive tonic water previously sold by businessmen 8 days/week

you can always choose to ignore a warning label. not so easy to get a salesman to disclose any (potentially fatal) faults in their products
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:02 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
I see nickel is on the list, but I don't see US $.05 coins bearing any label. While protection is good, if your product has a listed material, you must declare it unless you can show that it will cause less than 1 death per 100,000 people when exposed to your product's level for 70 years.

The only reason food isn't labeled up the wazoo is that many of the listed substances are naturally-occurring parts of plants and the soil they grow in.
Karl B is offline Find More Posts by Karl B
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:54 PM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl B View Post
I see nickel is on the list, but I don't see US $.05 coins bearing any label. While protection is good, if your product has a listed material, you must declare it unless you can show that it will cause less than 1 death per 100,000 people when exposed to your product's level for 70 years.

The only reason food isn't labeled up the wazoo is that many of the listed substances are naturally-occurring parts of plants and the soil they grow in.
do lead bullets carry any labels?
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:13 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
do lead bullets carry any labels?
Yes.

[/OT Comments]
Karl B is offline Find More Posts by Karl B