HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:48 AM
United States, MN, Andover
Joined Sep 2012
112 Posts
LOL That's exactly what I was thinking!

So John, what partial "kits" do you make? Do you have a thread about your laser cutting?
pspring is offline Find More Posts by pspring
Last edited by pspring; Mar 04, 2013 at 08:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:15 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
La Stik, Page Boy, School Boy, Jr Falcon, (working on Jr Skylark), Micro Mambo, Q-Tee, 25 size Tweety Bird and various control line stuff mostly 1/2 A. No thread, just word of mouth (text in this case ) here and RCU. I have plans to many planes and currently have 10 - 20 in some stage of cad. Plans are imported into cad and traced to develope cut files. Shoot me a pm and I can go into more detail.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:28 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
587 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos, Rubbernecker. I had 2 of those Mattel RC units, lost 2 airplanes, an Ace 1/2-A Stick and a Goldberg 1/2-A Skylane. Both were RO, the Stick .020 power sagged shortly after hand launch dropping into no-man's land in the midst of tall reeds in a swamp. The Skylane was caught in a strong updraft, before a cloud burst rainstorm, came down somewhere in Oz, Kansas.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Was the radio a contributor to the loss? I know I spent a lot time chasing a Dick's Dream trying to get back in range as a kid. Never physically lost a plane but them again the Dick's Dream was the only successful one I had. Jr Falcon was launch, crash, repeat till it was too heavy. Didn't know how to fly.

John
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:59 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
763 Posts
Hey John, You interested in some 1/2a CG Skylane plans? I drew up some years ago with some mods for easier building. Last one I built was powered with a Cox Med .09 and weighed 28 oz all up. Flew it Rudder and Elevator. The hardest part is cutting those ribs. Here is a pic of my last one.
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:05 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker View Post
Was the radio a contributor to the loss? I know I spent a lot time chasing a Dick's Dream trying to get back in range as a kid. Never physically lost a plane but them again the Dick's Dream was the only successful one I had. Jr Falcon was launch, crash, repeat till it was too heavy. Didn't know how to fly.
No. Losses were 1) Flying at the wrong time. With skies an extreme black and dead calm, I went for one more flight on the 1/2-A Cessna. Then suddenly the winds picked up, there was a strong updraft, which carried my plane away, engine was too weak to spiral down to overcome. Shortly after, drops the size of dimes started pelting me. I was drenched by the time I grabbed my gear and headed to the truck only 75 feet away. 2) Engine started sputtering after making flight over the marshy reed area, down went the 1/2-A stick. Area is unnavigable on foot, reeds too thick to penetrate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:12 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post
Hey John, You interested in some 1/2a CG Skylane plans? I drew up some years ago with some mods for easier building. Last one I built was powered with a Cox Med .09 and weighed 28 oz all up. Flew it Rudder and Elevator. The hardest part is cutting those ribs. Here is a pic of my last one.
Nice looking plane. Still have the original plans, but if I were ever to recreate, would want to shoot for the 62" span Skylane. There's another set of plans by OK Models Company, Pilot line on Outerzone, that might also be promising.

Greatest problem has been the winds in Clovis, which just about limits one to a .25 on up symmetrical wing rib neutral flying plane. If one doesn't have good and smooth wind penetration is limited on days to fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:03 PM
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post
I think I have already downloaded the plans you had. Did you use a solid stab? Also, I just received the Jr Skylark from Laser Works. Not sure I like how they used a dowel for leading edge??????? Will find out. Plan on going electric with that.. BTW, very nice plane.

John
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:28 PM
United States, KS, Leavenworth
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. Name is Dave. I've been looking all over the place for 1/2a airplanes but looks like I found the right place. I'm finshing up my first one now. It's an ace littlest stick. I made it a 3 channel aileron, elevator, throttle with a cox .020rc. I was planning on building another one with a 2 channel and .010. Looks like I will learn a lot from these threads. I look forward to talking with everyone.

Dave
Galaxy5151 is offline Find More Posts by Galaxy5151
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:57 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Dave

Welcome to RCG, the Ace Littlest Stick is indeed a sweet plane with a Cox .020!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:58 PM
United States, KS, Leavenworth
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
Thanks, I will try and get a picture up this weekend. We,ll have to see how well she flies, its probably my first complete build that is actually going to make it to the sky.
Galaxy5151 is offline Find More Posts by Galaxy5151
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:15 AM
Go ARMY! Beat Navy.
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2012
99 Posts
John AKA Rubbernecker, It was me that Vic posted about the vintage event in NC this year. He also emailed me the flyer. If you like I can forward it to you.

Dave
Dave Craig is offline Find More Posts by Dave Craig
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:22 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Dave Welcome to RCG, the Ace Littlest Stick is indeed a sweet plane with a Cox .020!
Yes, I can't agree more there.

AFAIK, if one is a member or wants to be a member of the Vintage R/C Society (VRCS), the 2014 theme is Ugly Stik and Variants. Unless otherwise corrected, I believe the Littlest Stick would qualify.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Craig View Post
John AKA Rubbernecker, It was me that Vic posted about the vintage event in NC this year. He also emailed me the flyer. If you like I can forward it to you.

Dave
Sure that would be great. jtomlin1@verizon.net

John
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:47 AM
Valdese NC
Joined May 2004
375 Posts
I sent them John.
vic welland is online now Find More Posts by vic welland