HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:22 AM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
235 Posts
Well said, Markran. This hobby has evolved and will continue to evolve with technology. It is, after all, a technology based activity.

I find it interesting how many of the comments on here are defending ARFs and taking it as though they have been offended in some way. Yet I've not really seen any posts in this thread that bash ARFs and those who buy them. The original poster simply stated that it seems that only the older modelers build, as opposed to assembling. Obviously, that is not true. I think it is true that it is mostly older modelers who build the traditional way with balsa and plywood. Notice I said MOSTLY. Not only.

Many other modelers, young and old, design and build using more modern methods and materials. It's all good, and it is all good for our hobby. Aeromodelling is alive and well and seeing more people give it a try because of the availability, ease and relative cheapness of trying it out with the modern ARFs, including foamies and EPPs, etc.

No one here is looking down their nose at RTF and ARF fliers. I took the original posters comment as an observation and not a put down. So chill and go flying.

Interesting, too, that the original poster has not commented further. Got alot of thread mileage from a simple post!
edbu1 is offline Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:46 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,499 Posts
Edbu-1.
I think you have put your finger on it....I stated earlier that I assemble ARFs for money...I should have clarified that..
First, I get no satisfaction from building an ARF, since I'm a proven 'old guy'(72),and my joy comes from building from the ground up ...
Secondly, I use the income to finance my own kit or scratch builds.

And thirdly, there's a piece of me that says 'since this person needs help, from either not having the room or skills or tools to build,let's help him get the best chance of success'.

From my aspect, flying is flying,and I want to share that..I just don't know why I can't say I hate ARFs publicly,with out all hell breaking loose.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:29 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,310 Posts
Say it, Earl. LOL

I have a disdain for ARFs. I get no satisfaction from them. Seeing 5 models on the flightline, all the same, doesn't do much for me, either.

Even though I don't care for them, I do believe that each of us has the right to choose We old guys know how satisfying building is, but we can't force our enjoyment on others.

Flying is flying, but I believe that it is more enjoyable when we have sweat equity built into our models.

Unfortunately, there is no way we can implant this love into the uniniated. LOL

A retired guy comes over, once in awhile. He looks in my shop, and his chin drops. He sees what I do, but all he wants to do is buy.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. LOL
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:38 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,137 Posts
It's also a lot more fun when you have some friends to fly or boat with.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:04 AM
YAY the tourists are GONE
United States, MA, Sandwich
Joined Feb 2010
190 Posts
wrong thread
Kit_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Kit_Builder
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:57 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Why do these threads always turn into a "kit vs arf/bnf/plug n play" competition?

Things change, most everyone from the younger generations must have an instant gratification product. If the arfs/bnf's/plug n plays bring more people into the hobby i am all for it!

Afterall, it is nothing but good for us all. More people = more sales = more market items = more market competition = lower prices = better for us all

AND

The companies involved in the hobby are more likely to invest in newer and better technology that everyone can benefit from.

Compeltely agree...

This is a great time to be in the hobby, and I started building in the late 70's with Guillows and Comet kits - aka: stick and tissue for you newbs..

Anyone remember cutting out the parts of a Comet ink-stamped kit? Now that's frustrating when you're only 8 and the parents won't let you have an Xacto knife. Sterling's airplane kits? I swear they used the same wood from their boats. The quality of the kits back them wasn't all that great, but has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 25 years. Great Planes kits practically glue themselves together....

Today's kits are better than they have ever been. The variety is unbelievable, you just won't find the really good stuff on your LHS's shelf. If you prefer to roll your own, plans and a laser cut short kit are the way to go. While I'm still partial to balsa and ply, I have a couple foamies that are lots of fun to fly. Today's wood ARFs are incredible too, ever taken a good look at some of the latest offerings from Horizon, Pilot or EG Aircraft? The engineering and laser cutting are incredible!!

-
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hemikiller; Feb 25, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:59 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Ugh, what a load of rubbish.

I see this time and time again, that the 'old guys' are true modellers and anyone who buys a ready to fly model is somehow cheating.

There seems to be a mindset amoungst builders that you're not a 'true' modeller unless you've done your time, turning balsa into dust.

If the hobby were 'model building' only then you may have a point. AS it is, Aeromodelling is a multi-faceted sport. Like kenh3497 says, it doesn't matter how you get there, just get there.

I've bashed a fair amount of balsa in my time (I've been modelling for 25 years and I'm 34) and I scratch build for fun. I also fly F3A and use ARF aircraft for that as the quality of the airframe is better than I can do in my workshop, however they cost a pretty penny.

To look down your nose at fliers who use RTF aircraft is narrow minded, and will only end up with new modellers feeling alienated, and NOT learning anything from you about the nuances of model building.
Well said.

And I have to ask, how does building a plane from bits of wood automatically make you an expert in aerodynamics? I don't see the connection ...

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
235 Posts
Chris:

Building an airplane from bits of wood does NOT automatically make you an expert in aerodynamics. Who said it did?
edbu1 is offline Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:23 PM
The world in foam & tissue
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2010
615 Posts
Plane or heli. Kit or RTF. Balsa or foam. Gas or electric. Soar, 3D, Scale, FPV, whatever! What I love about this hobby is it's diversity and it's people. I'm 48 and have only been flying for 2 years. I am an expert in...well.. nothing in this hobby. So far I have been primary foam and electric but I love the sound and smell of "real" engines! I can appreciated the craftsmanship and skill someone has put into a scale scratch build and the fun and joy of flying a foamy that took 2 hours to build. Should I live so long to be able to try a little of everything in this great hobby, I will consider myself blessed!
Rasterize is offline Find More Posts by Rasterize
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:38 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,464 Posts
Way back in '93 I acquired a pica Fw190 kit and by gummy I still have it and it stills flies from time to time .Took a few years to get it completed but lets see a foamy arf look like this .OS91 surpass ,Century Jet retracts , functional scratch built exhaust manifold ..
pencon is offline Find More Posts by pencon
Last edited by pencon; Feb 25, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:48 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,840 Posts
Some folks only want to get to their destinations,whilst others enjoy the trip.

I'm one of those who enjoys the trip, in that I design and build my own models. But, if you want to assemble and fly ARFs, go ahead and have fun. Just don't look down your nose at me, and I won't look down mine at you.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:09 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,137 Posts
I will be one happy camper when Captain Kirk's transporter is operational!

OTOH, I love building.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:46 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel View Post

I'm one of those who enjoys the trip, in that I design and build my own models. But, if you want to assemble and fly ARFs, go ahead and have fun. Just don't look down your nose at me, and I won't look down mine at you.

CD
What if I'm really really short?
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:54 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
803 Posts
I don't give a sh*t what any else does, I like to build. John
jbrooks01 is online now Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel View Post

CD
And what a long strange trip it's been.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b