HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:46 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,337 Posts
Got a thread for that? I've got an F-22 kit I designed, and I'd like to see what you did differently.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I got builds up the yin yang right now. Pretty much all balsa, at least right now. But I'm an old phart. When I use up my balsa maybe I'll do something with those sheets of EPP foam I bought years ago. Unbeknownst to me at the time, it was very light-weight EPP, so only suitable for very small planes. If I do it again I'll know to buy the denser stuff. I got a few Leadfeather planes out of it, so not a total loss.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:53 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,197 Posts
Take a day out(you'll need at least one!)Start at the top and work down the forum listings,not just those that seem relevant to your own interests.There's some amazing stuff going on here,and no lack of true(self design)scratch building.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:27 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,202 Posts
Back in the late '60's I got married, and the majority of my money went to wifey , then later, to my child.

In order to support my end of the hobby, I began building for other club members in the '70's.. What I sold were ready to fly(RTF's).. We just didn't call 'em that then.
Sureflite had their foam chipmonks, cessnas and Cubs, Lanier had vacuu-formed plastic,airplanes, and Sig supplied their Kwik-built models....Nothing much has changed....We just complain a lot more now.
Try to remember back to last year before the Balsa Builder's Forum
...People complaining nobody was building...Now , there's 55 planes under construction, and guys are still complaining.."nobody's building".

I favor wood, but as long as guys are building, what's yer problem ? Happy modelers-that's all I ask.

There's a kid locally that flies in a 10'x 10' x 10' string 'cube' with a foam airplane he designed and built He stops the plane in a nose down dive, and backs it up with a reversing prop he built himself...Leave 'em alone.1 happy drug-free kid.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:03 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Got a thread for that? I've got an F-22 kit I designed, and I'd like to see what you did differently.

Andy
Sure.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759433
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:53 PM
Thinking about flying
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
889 Posts
I had some of the ARFs that were available in the 50s. This was a real popular one. http://www.americanjuniorclassics.co...y/firebaby.htm

You want kits? Whatís wrong with BMJR? http://www.bmjrmodels.com/ or http://www.electroflying.com/

Plans? http://www.outerzone.co.uk/ or Uncle Willies.

ARFs arenít new, scratch building is still practiced. I donít have the shop space I once had so building big kits isnít practical.

If no one criticizes me for building ARFs I wonít call them snobs for not considering them as viable alternatives.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,107 Posts
28 years old, been building every since i started the hobby 22 years ago...

Current builds are a scratch built (and molded, and layup) HO-229, own design 1/7 F-14D tomcat (110" wingspan), 26% GeeBee R2 (my own design essentially) and soon to be a Saab Draken and a Sig Kobra once my son gets old enough to realize what he's doing.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:11 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
733 Posts
My experience has been ARFs get new people in the air fast with out haveing to have the knowledge to build. I have taught building classes to new people & the common thing i heard was the lack of time to build. Most were interested in learning to build or repair & that was satisfaction enough for me to help them. I try and build at least one new model a year, either a kit or scratch build. I have done build threads on here and other sites on both building and covering, and enjoy posting pictures as it goes. I can tell you that i have been building since the 60s and still pick up pointers by reading other guys threads, so it helps to post em. I am in the minority at the two clubs i belong to as far as a builder goes, but every now & then i get someone who wants to learn & enjoy passing along any help i can. Some surprise me & start a build on their own! You never know. Were still out there building away, just not in the numbers like we once were. Oh well, enough for now, gotta get back to my build.....Gene
gene6029 is online now Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,202 Posts
I still build ARFS for those who don't have time, or room, to finance my own builds.

I won't deny I have an aversion to them...But I have stopped criticizing those who buy and fly them.
If they're in the air, that's fair.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:33 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
As with anything else where there is a choice involved, there are pros and cons to ARFs IMHO.

I was looking at the HK Predator ARF discussions and reviews. I am NOT trying to promote this aircraft BTW. Some, if not most of the cons about the plane would not have existed if the reviewer / commentator had any experience as a builder. There were complaints about tip stalls..... I bet there were warps in the wings and/or the ailerons drooped a little, or the CG was off. It is totally amazing to me how very very little knowledge of flight dynamics many ARF only flyers have.

And, then in the comments section, some one was suggesting a minimum of 200Watts per pound I don't think the Predator is supposed to go straight up out of sight ..... is it ? LOL.

I feel that one gains more general flight dynamic knowledge by being a builder. Now, on the other hand, I guess if you fly ARFs only, then you can gain that knowledge faster (at a greater cost !!) LOL
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Last edited by old_dude; Feb 23, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,202 Posts
..Repeating myself, I said the other day, that they don't want to fly airplanes, they want to guide missiles.

They don't understand us, and I'll never understand them...

Calm evenings and an airplane "on the wing" is 'where it's at' for me..

If they see a model at a high angle of attack, they think it's falling and add more power.It needs to go straight up to "get them out of trouble"...

My question is -why are you IN trouble? ....Learn to fly slowly.

Jim Davenport brought a half dozen hand launch gliders, untrimmed, with a simple objective.....get it to glide 40 feet , straight, the length of the Old Farts' Breakfast Dining Room..Out of 17 there, 3 of us accomplished that...Most have no idea of adjustment...I was disappointed, at the lack of knowledge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:12 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy building models from various types of wood. Some like the "modeling" aspcect of the hobby... some like the flying aspect... I like to fly what I build.. That's where my satisfaction comes.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:21 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
The way I see it, building is building. It doesn't really matter the material being used. It's kind of like the housing industry. You see houses built out of "unconventional" materials. Things like a house made out of a steel grain bin or pored concrete, or spray foam.... They are still houses and somebody builds them. Same with the plane. It still has wings, tail and some sort of propulsion system.

Building is building is building.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:03 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,306 Posts
The worst thing about ARFs and PlugNPlay is that I can't carry on a conversation about construction and model design with the owners because they don't even speak the same language. It is often necessary to define most of the terms that all true modelers already know.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:49 AM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Building from scratch is an expensive way to build a RC plane from my point of view. I wanted to do something like that but decided to buy a kit and bash the heck out of it which is almost the same thing only you get most of what you need to do it with. Spent $139.00 for the kit and have nearly $500 in it now, includes engine, reciever, servos and misc. stuff. Could add another $150 or so if I did the same thing from scratch.

Prices for materials is going up every day it seams and I lost alot of expendable income when I retired so it changed the way I have to enjoy this hobby and I really enjoy building. Kinda makes you creative and thats good for the old brain too.

Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner