HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:53 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Build Log
FMS 1450mm P-51B Old Crow: The Cockpit w/Malcolm Hood!

The P-51B "Old Crow's" re-furbished Cockpit with the Malcolm Hood Canopy!

I've taken another step towards my re-furbished build of the P-51B "Old Crow" built and flown by NASCAR legend Jack Roush!

To keep scale with Roush's "Old Crow" a new canopy would have to be installed, so from the advise of our friend Tom Hunt, I purchased the Malcolm Hood canopy for the E-Flite P-51B from Park Flyer Plastic. The PFP E-Flite Malcolm canopy was actually pulled from the mold Tom made back when he did his P-51D to B bash.

The Malcolm canopy is a perfect fit for this new FMS P-51B. After I carefully peeled the oem canopy off, trimmed the end and side pieces off the Malcolm, it was just a matter of laying the canopy on the cockpit and following the lines with a Sharpie. Very little plastic had to be removed from both the front and rear of the canopy, and I mean VERY little! There is about a 1/4" on both sides that has to be removed as well. On the cockpit itself, both corners of foam at the windshield had to be sanded down a bit to clearance the Malcolm and that was it.

Once the trimming was done and I had a perfect fit to the cockpit, it was time to up-grade the cockpit itself. The next step was to remove the seat back and dashboard decal. The black paint FMS uses in their cockpits isn't the greatest, so it didn't take me long to blow it all off with my needle blower and 120psi. Once the paint was removed, I wiped everything down with Acetone to remove any residue & oils left behind, and prepared to air brush the MM Interior Green on all the interior pieces & seat back. Once the paint dried, I hand painted the dash panel & battery compartment with MM Flat Black. While I had the black out, I used a combination of it and MM Leather Brown to give a more realistic leather look to the seat. While that paint dried I made a wooden floor out of 1/16" ply, and stained it with Minwax Red Mahogany stain.

While I waited for all that cockpit paint to dry, I started masking the canopy off in preparation of painting it. On the excellent recommendation of Capteasy I'm using the MM RAF Dark Green which is a perfect match to Roush's "Old Crow"! Once all the cockpit details were done, I slipped the canopy on and applied 3 coats of the RAF Green with the air brush.

After a couple of hours of drying, I removed all the masking tape and was pleased with the results. To highlight and detail the canopy, I used some 3M Silver Metallic pin striping I had left over from a job I had done on a golf cart a few years back. With that done, I hot glued the seat back & floor board in, re-glued the instrument panel back on, installed the new Malcolm canopy, and then sat back admired how kewl it all looked!

I haven't glue the canopy on yet as I plan to, once again, install a instrument panel light, and I still have to get the pilot ready. I am going to use my 1/8 scale AOI Civilian Sports pilot in the "Old Crow" as he's more of a resemblance to Jack!

What I did was, I took the bust of the CS pilot and matched it up with the lower torso of the FMS oem pilot. Glued together with some minor paint touch-ups, viewed from overhead, it's hard to tell the difference between the two. It's not an exact match, but it will work for me.

~~~~Thumbnails~~~~
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Mar 21, 2014 at 06:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:28 AM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
As always Gary, phenomenal work & detail!

I just ordered the Malcom hood from PFP and will be doing this mod too. One question, did you paint the silver framing?

Thank you in advance,
Tim
Dead Bug is offline Find More Posts by Dead Bug
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:04 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Bug View Post
As always Gary, phenomenal work & detail!

I just ordered the Malcom hood from PFP and will be doing this mod too. One question, did you paint the silver framing?

Thank you in advance,
Tim
When you go to trimming the canopy make sure you "measure twice cut once"! The E-Flite canopy's length is spot on with the FMS cockpit.

As for the trim, I had some 3M auto silver metallic pin striping left over from a project a few years back, it's 2 striped, 1/16" & 1/8". I would have preferred a roll of 1/8" & 1/4" pin stripping, but I didn't have any. Besides, I need to use this stuff up anyway! That's what I used and it sticks pretty good, but you got to have patience.

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:18 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
When you go to trimming the canopy make sure you "measure twice cut once"! The E-Flite canopy's length is spot on with the FMS cockpit.

As for the trim, I had some 3M auto silver metallic pin striping left over from a project a few years back, it's 2 striped, 1/16" & 1/8". I would have preferred a roll of 1/8" & 1/4" pin stripping, but I didn't have any. Besides, I need to use this stuff up anyway! That's what I used and it sticks pretty good, but you got to have patience.

Gary
Thanks Gary! Patience I have, but time is sometimes the hard part. Everytime I complete an item from my "honey do list" I think she adds two to replace it.
Dead Bug is offline Find More Posts by Dead Bug
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:02 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Bug View Post
Thanks Gary! Patience I have, but time is sometimes the hard part. Everytime I complete an item from my "honey do list" I think she adds two to replace it.
Isn't it amazing how that happens?

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2013
11 Posts
thanks for the coordinates of the canopi, I need it for my P-51Mustang MkII, in RAF colors Polish Squadron
military is offline Find More Posts by military