SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:28 PM
Certifiable
stringrazor's Avatar
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,524 Posts


It has arrived! Super CP 101 starts now...
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:38 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
A good first tip from the other thread - I stuck a little hot glue over the battery connection to the board. This copter is a paradox - difficult to get the battery IN, but boy does it pop right out in a crash with no problem.

Those walkera plugs can be pretty tight/secure, so instead of the battery unplugging it can rip the connection right off the board.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:39 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Also, check out your throttle hold. If I recall, mine was set pretty screwy when it arrived. I hit hold the first time and it went spinning off in circles.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:33 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Also, check out your throttle hold. If I recall, mine was set pretty screwy when it arrived. I hit hold the first time and it went spinning off in circles.
Thanks for the tips! What would you suggest setting the throttle and pitch curves to and the throttle hold? A couple others have stated the helicopter is a bit twitchy with the stock settings. Just wondering what some good settings would be for a beginner. I'm assuming barely any negative pitch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, hopefully getting the helicopter on Wednesday!
aaronmichael is offline Find More Posts by aaronmichael
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:49 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Stock curves were good for me, as for beginners you might want to dial up expo and bring the rates down.

I'm a beginner myself, so I have it set for a lot of expo and low rate in normal, and in idle up there's no expo and 100% rates. That way I can hit idle up and get a few moments at a time of practice on "hard" mode.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 03:23 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Awesome, I might shoot you a PM once I get mine for a little bit of help setting it up. What you have set up sounds pretty good to me.
aaronmichael is offline Find More Posts by aaronmichael
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:19 PM
Certifiable
stringrazor's Avatar
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,524 Posts
OK, first impression is that this is harder than I expected. I've had it off the ground, hovered a bit but keep losing it. A few n00b q's for those in the know:

1) It seems to continue in the direction depending on last cyclic control despite letting the stick center. Is that how it's supposed to work or do I need to do some mechanical adjustments?

2) even small crashes seem to dislodge the skid completely. Is that usual? Also, the main gear after some crashes drive gear slips down the shaft until it's below the pinion and I have to press it back up. Again...normal?

3) the tail fin touches the ground when at rest! It's already bent a bit from heavy landings. Seems like a really bad design or is something wrong with mine? I've attached some straws to the bottom of the skids while training.

4) I set my t. hold to 0 from stock -5% but have to wait for the lipos to recharge to see how this works. Is this a good setting?

CP flight will definitely take getting used to. I probably read this but until I experienced it, it didn't sink in: the head speed seems to stay pretty constant once spooled and lift is mostly generated by collective pitch. It also doesn't spool down immediately like a FP. I lost a hover in teh living room and it flew into me. I shut the throttle stick down immediately as I'm used to for the H911 but the blade tips caught my arm and gave me 2 small cuts - drew blood, lol!

Also noticed the tail motor picked up nylon threads from the rug like string that winds around a vacuum's spinning brush. Had to pull it out with tweezers.
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:41 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
OK, first impression is that this is harder than I expected. I've had it off the ground, hovered a bit but keep losing it. A few n00b q's for those in the know:

1) It seems to continue in the direction depending on last cyclic control despite letting the stick center. Is that how it's supposed to work or do I need to do some mechanical adjustments?
Yes, this is the way it's supposed to work.


Quote:
2) even small crashes seem to dislodge the skid completely. Is that usual? Also, the main gear after some crashes drive gear slips down the shaft until it's below the pinion and I have to press it back up. Again...normal?

Yes, yes, and yes. The skids pop off instead of breaking like other models. And when they do break, it makes them easy to replace, like an MCPx. The shaft is designed to separate in a crash like that to keep from stripping the motor or gears. Just push them back together.


Quote:

3) the tail fin touches the ground when at rest! It's already bent a bit from heavy landings. Seems like a really bad design or is something wrong with mine? I've attached some straws to the bottom of the skids while training.

Really bad design. I broke the fin, and then burnt out the motor since the fin is the only thing keeping it off the ground.


Quote:

4) I set my t. hold to 0 from stock -5% but have to wait for the lipos to recharge to see how this works. Is this a good setting?

I think mine's at -4. It works, but I don't know if it's an ideal setting.


Quote:

CP flight will definitely take getting used to. I probably read this but until I experienced it, it didn't sink in: the head speed seems to stay pretty constant once spooled and lift is mostly generated by collective pitch. It also doesn't spool down immediately like a FP. I lost a hover in teh living room and it flew into me. I shut the throttle stick down immediately as I'm used to for the H911 but the blade tips caught my arm and gave me 2 small cuts - drew blood, lol!

See the "my mini CP sent me to the hospital" thread. These things can hurt you. You're flying an inverted weed whacker. Be careful in close quarters, these things can move in the blink of an eye. In addition, get used to using throttle hold, and not cutting the throttle. That instinct to drop throttle is going to destroy your copter if you're in idle up. Or worse, send it zipping right down at you.


Quote:

Also noticed the tail motor picked up nylon threads from the rug like string that winds around a vacuum's spinning brush. Had to pull it out with tweezers.
You nailed it earlier - REALLY bad design. I only take off and land on hard surfaces without debris now, no more carpets. I actually use my helicopter case as a launchpad.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:23 PM
Registered User
Austria
Joined Sep 2008
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
4) I set my t. hold to 0 from stock -5% but have to wait for the lipos to recharge to see how this works. Is this a good setting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
I think mine's at -4. It works, but I don't know if it's an ideal setting.

It doesn't matter whether it is 0%, -1% or -20%. Everything below 0 is considered to be a good/ideal setting.
On my Mini even with 2,5% setting motors stop spinning.
helicopter_new is offline Find More Posts by helicopter_new
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:41 PM
Certifiable
stringrazor's Avatar
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,524 Posts
I saw you hospital thread but didn't connect it to your handle. How's your eye doing?

I think the main gear issue has to do with a part I'll call a shaft collar for lack of a better term - I don't see it mentioned in the manual. It sits between the swash plate and bearing and has a set screw. It looks like its only function is to limit downward motion of the shaft. I adjusted and tightened it and that seems to have solved the main gear issue for now.

I'm gonna need a lot of practice. I've been able to fly a little but it gets away from me so easily. Haven't broken anything. I'm wondering if a sim might be a good investment....or a bnf Super CP as a spare...or both...

I also need to read up on what the Devo7E can do. There's a lot here to learn.
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:18 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
I saw you hospital thread but didn't connect it to your handle. How's your eye doing?.
That wasn't me. My head is way harder than that.

I'm the guy who gets helicopters stuck in my long pretty hair.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:16 PM
Certifiable
stringrazor's Avatar
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
That wasn't me. My head is way harder than that.

I'm the guy who gets helicopters stuck in my long pretty hair.
Don't try to trim your hair with an inverted weed wacker!
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:43 AM
Certifiable
stringrazor's Avatar
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,524 Posts
Well, day one with the Super CP was somewhat frustrating. I guess that's to be expected for my first time flying a CP heli. It reminds be of the old HS physics (which I was terrible at) problem about calculating the forces needed to balance a broomstick on your fingertip. I have to make adjustments from second to second. It responds so quickly to any input and magnifies mistakes leading to over-correction and the inevitable crash. Bring the throttle down puts the blades into negative pitch and it FLIES DOWN. I'm finding that particular concept difficult to get used to.

I'm thinking that the stock setup of the Devo7E is still too aggressive for me at this stage. Why do I need any negative pitch for normal flight? Throttle hold, even at -4 will sent the heli shooting upwards and spinning if the switch is thrown when the throttle is fairly high. The short flight time given by the stock lipos make learning even more frustrating. Just when I seem to be making progress, my 2nd lipo needs to be taken offline.

I guess I should feel somewhat consoled by the fact that nothing has broken yet. Think a sim me be required for me....
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:02 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
253 Posts
[QUOTE=Arr0wHead;24302835]Yes, this is the way it's supposed to work.


Are all CPs like that?
samho2088 is offline Find More Posts by samho2088
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:05 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
253 Posts
Do we need to make constant stick movements on the TX in order for a CP to hover, even if we are flying a copter with a 6-axis gyro? I am looking for my first CP, and don't really know how the control of a CP differs from that of a FP.
samho2088 is offline Find More Posts by samho2088
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Beginner configuration for Devo 7e with Walkera Super CP h2joe Electric Heli Talk 5 Apr 14, 2014 08:40 AM
Discussion Blade Nano CP X vs Walkera Super CP - First CP heli brad24 Micro Helis 24 May 16, 2013 03:26 AM
Help! Walkera Super CP spare parts to buy? rctech96 Micro Helis 5 Apr 20, 2013 08:11 PM
Discussion Skyartec Nano CP or Walkera Super CP samho2088 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 13 Feb 24, 2013 10:02 PM